Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Question about NJ Salvage Title

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about NJ Salvage Title

I am currently in the process of buying a 2001 SS salvaged hydro locked, but the person whom I am buying it off is having trouble with finding out what to do about the salvage title. His bank (wells fargo) tells him first that after the car is payed off the title is sent to the insurance campany(geigo) then to him. Then another person fromt he bank told him once they clear the check the title gets sent to him and then he has to go to the dmv to get it stamped salvage. Does anyone know how this works in NJ. I have been waiting about a month and a half now, cause this guys insurance and bank keep giving him the run around. Also anyone have a ls1 motor with under 50,000miles there lookin to get rid of??
Old 09-20-2006, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

the title goes to the owner. When that owner signed it over to you, it will go to the state and be given a Salvage title. After that, when you want to get it back on the road, you will have to take it to a special inspection station and get marked as a R (reconstructed) title. Just a warning, with that kinda title. Expect a 25% drop in resale value at LEAST and my dealership doesnt except R or S titled cars. Even if its a $100.00
Old 09-20-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
the title goes to the owner. When that owner signed it over to you, it will go to the state and be given a Salvage title. After that, when you want to get it back on the road, you will have to take it to a special inspection station and get marked as a R (reconstructed) title. Just a warning, with that kinda title. Expect a 25% drop in resale value at LEAST and my dealership doesnt except R or S titled cars. Even if its a $100.00
Yeah pretty much. You need to keep receipts for everything you do to the car to make it road worthy again. You will need to fill out this form, send in polaroid pictures, all the reciepts and a PA state inspection report signed off by an inspection mechanic. http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotfor...%22mv%20426%22 The form is pretty self explanitory.

The car will definately be worth a lot less than a clean title. Unless you're getting the car for dirt cheap (like under 5 grand) I'd try to find another car that has never been totaled. If you're building a race car then don't worry about the reconstruction process. Leave it a junk title.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The process is long in PA to get a salvage title car a reconstructed (branded) title. I did it with my car. Applied for a title in Nov 03 and I did not get it until Mar 04. One of my pictures of the driver side was at a very slight angle and they rejected it and made me take all new pictures. As far as resale....It depends. I paid 7800 for my car in Oct 03 with very low miles and put 2k into a whole new (used) interior. I could sell it today for 10-11k based on other sales of reconstructed 02 Z28's I've seen but I did not buy it to have a good resale. I bought it as a third car to have fun with so I could care less about resale.

A dealer typically won't touch a reconstructed or flood title vehicle (Mine is the later). Too much liability for them. Just make sure you know what your doing and the process for getting a title you can use to register the car. DMV's don't like reconstructed vehicles so they do not make it easy.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

In NJ, if the insurance company writes the car off as a totaled vehicle for whatever reason, then the title will become a salvage title. The car usually is sold at a sale for totaled vehicles to body shops, junkyards and people that fix them for resale. However, NJ does not have reconstruction titles. In your case it would be a salvage or flood title. Sometime if you’re lucky it squeaks by as a normal title. Good luck

Quick Reply: Question about NJ Salvage Title