Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NY Driver Responsibility Assessment Fees

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by notfromtheseparts
I live in western Canada. I paid a NY ticket for speeding in November 2007. (And of course then I learned that I was responsible for a New York driver responsibility assessment for 3 years.)

I was OK with paying $200 for speeding; I was not okay with paying another $900 for being a hazard to New York roads.

I did not respond to the driver responsibility assessment letter, and I have not driven in New York state since.

My drivers licence is clean; New York has reciprocating agreements with Ontario and Quebec, but not Alberta.

New York hasn't sent me anything since.
Can anyone confirm whether I'm in the clear to drive in New York now (4.5 years later), or if not, how many years it will take?

Thanks for reviewing my post. It's not a 5-year-old post; it's a new post about something hanging over my head since 2007. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that sounds like a scam. Isn't government great...
Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No what I was saying is I commented on this 5 years ago!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Haha wow cant believe someone revived this. Never did end up paying that stupid fee. They sent me a letter each of the three years I was supposed to pay and havent heard anything since that. I have checked my record for a job that I was interviewing for and its completely clean. I guess I just wont drive in NY, or at least drive very carefully, which is perfectly fine for me.

notfromtheseparts- I think your record gets cleared after 5 yrs or something like that if you do not have any more infractions. Im not 100% though so you should probably look that up.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just another reason to hate the state of NY. You can't carry a firearm to protect yourself or your loved ones, and if you receive a speeding citation you need to pay additional fees to the DMV? That's over the top ridiculous. Invest in a Valentine V1 or a Beltronics Red or Blue and avoid the state of NY at all costs.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only time in NY is to get to LVD and pass on through to NJ for Atlantic City or Other Drag strips
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

tell me about how much it sucks, u guys live in PA where the roads are open and no traffic great for highway pulls! over here u need to stop every 5 seconds bc some ******* is doing 20 in a 40 and u cant go around lol.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your privilege to drive in NY will be suspended until you clear it up and pay the fines. It will never go away on its own.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Haha wow cant believe someone revived this. Never did end up paying that stupid fee.
Good, it's nothing but bullshit. Just like with everything else government does, it has nothing to do with safety but everything to do with their revenue.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by APG12
Your privilege to drive in NY will be suspended until you clear it up and pay the fines. It will never go away on its own.
Thats fine by me. I never intend to go to back to that state, except maybe NYC. Whenever Im there though I never drive so it doesnt really matter.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM

Default Fighting the Driver Responsibility Assessment

I was hit with a DRA for going exactly 21mph over the limit on I-87 coming back from Montreal. I live in NY but have an out-of-state license. The officer didn't tell me about the DRA. He did tell me that I could contest the ticket and likely get it reduced. But I didn't because I figured it was my duty to pay the fine because after all I was speeding. That's what you get for trying to be honest and do the right thing.

So on top of my $260 ticket, I had to shell out the $300 for the DRA, making it a grand total of $560 which is egregious and unconstitutional as far as I'm concerned. The eighth amendment cites that excessive fines shall not be imposed.

I wrote to my state assemblymen and senators in NY to try to get the DRA dismantled, but they said they couldn't introduce legislation to do so because the DMV has jurisdiction over such matters and can levy these fines as they see fit. I don't understand it. It's bullshit. And, of course, it's impossible to get anybody on the phone at the DMV.

I called the trooper's sergeant and told him what I thought about the fact that officers don't disclose this to people they pull over, and he said it wasn't their responsibility. Nice and evasive. Good to know the people whose salaries we pay to look after us are standup people with decency. He claimed he hadn't even heard of the DRA.

Highway robbery and corruption at its best.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Default Petition to stop DRA

Found this petition online:

http://www.change.org/petitions/new-...sment-program#
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Teching In

I live in western Canada. I paid a NY ticket for speeding in November 2007. (And of course then I learned that I was responsible for a New York driver responsibility assessment for 3 years.)

I was OK with paying $200 for speeding; I was not okay with paying another $900 for being a hazard to New York roads.

I did not respond to the driver responsibility assessment letter, and I have not driven in New York state since.

My drivers licence is clean; New York has reciprocating agreements with Ontario and Quebec, but not Alberta.

Can anyone confirm whether I'm in the clear to drive in New York now (4.5 years later), or if not, how many years it will take?

Thanks for the background information and the opinions. My question though is: how many years until my licence file would be clear or deleted?

Thank you.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the background information and the opinions. My question though is: how many years until my licence file would be clear or deleted?

Thank you.
I think you can check violations on the EZPass website. You can also call the NYSDMV information line.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jontall
I think you can check violations on the EZPass website. You can also call the NYSDMV information line.
Thank you. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Teching In

It's been 10 years since my infraction.

I've heard that I have to wait 10 years before I'm free & clear, but I can't place where that rule/law is.

Sooner or later, I may want to rent a car in New York state again.
What should I do?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

https://nytrafficticket.com/how-long...riving-record/
Old 04-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2018, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

I do realize the original posts in this thread are extremely old. I do not know about time frames it takes to clear your license of infractions in NYS. Unfortunately for all of us the driver responsibility fees are in effect and have been for a long time. It has absolutely nothing to do with the police or local court system and is strictly a DMV imposed fine. The police issuing tickets are never schooled or taught what is assessed by DMV after a traffic stop or court ruling takes place and the police have no say or involvement in DMV imposed fines. In NYS the police also do not set or tack on points to each ticket, that is handeld by the court system and they can choose to impose a range of points per specific violation set by a group of guidelines given to them by, none other than the damn DMV. Even if you do not have a NYS license NY DMV will issue a NY license number to any out of state driver who is issued a ticket in NY. If you do not pay a fine to a court or pay DMV fees in NY your privilege to operate a motor vehicle on a NYS highway will be suspended by the DMV. You will also be prohibited from registering any vehicle in NYS and from transferring your out of state license to NY. If pulled over in NYS while you are suspended in NY it will pop up on the screen to the police officer whether he runs you as an out of state license or not. And you will then be charged with a traffic misdemeanor which can result in a ticket or custody at that time, along with having your vehicle towed (agency specific rules and regulations will dictate that action), if then further left unsettled it will result in additional suspensions (which up the criminal charges later should you get pulled over in NY again) and it will also result in the issuance in a warrant for your arrest. That warrant being a misdemeanor would only be able to be effected within the limits of NYS. Should it occur several times, it would up the charges to felony level and you can be transported to NYS for prosecution. NYS sucks, and while I agree that these seem unconstitutional because the fines are high, they are not. It has been argued and fought ten times over. You can't beat NYS. Many states now share DMV rules and regs with NY and should this happen to you in NY, states like NJ, CT, and MA will also suspend your license in their state as well. I think, not positive on which ones do share these sanctions.

Last edited by allblackedout5; 04-03-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks!
If you have not paid your responsibility assessment your license in NYS will remain suspended until it is paid. Once a suspension is issued there are additional fees added to "lift" or "clear" the suspension along with the original fines that were owed. I do not think you owe $900, I think it is $100 per year for 3 years or a total of $300. The $300 fines are typically for violations such as speeding, leaving the scene of an accident, etc... Alcohol or Drug related driving offenses carry a $250/per year or $750 total responsibility assessment and for repeat offenders those fines increase.

Quick Reply: NY Driver Responsibility Assessment Fees