Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

PA state emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default PA state emissions

My car's a '95 so its an OBD1 computer which has made it impossible for me to pass. Last year I was running a cat after my ORY which didnt work because the cat wasnt heating up. I'm about to install the CC503 Cam 224/230 and PCMforless said he could tune the car to pass assuming it has cats. So I'm figuring I will never pass with my LT's and there is no room to put 2 cats on the ORY so I was thinking of going Mid-lengths with a cat that I could detache on the y-pipe and would be in around the stock location. You guys running Mids, have any problems passing? Any ideas how I can get my car to pass?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they dont break your ***** on the visual, you can put a cat waaaay down near the rear seat, you turn it upward, have it welded in. Stock heat thermo, 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol, run the car hard, it will pass. Also make sure the pcmforless tune doesnt have a TON of fuel correction on top of the basic fuel map.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick up a guage cluster from a car with less than 5k miles over your last inspection sticker and swap it in before going in for state inspection. You'll get an exempt sticker this time around as long as you passed last year. What you are going through is the exact reason I would only buy a 96 Impala when I was looking for one. Mine is getting a similar cam, trick flow heads, long tubes and no cats right now and I know that as long as my SES light stays off, it will pass emissions no problem.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My company might relocate me to King of Prussia in the future. I was curious if my TSP Y pipe with cats would fail. I know it's not certified.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FLA02TA
My company might relocate me to King of Prussia in the future. I was curious if my TSP Y pipe with cats would fail. I know it's not certified.
I think you will be fine considering your car has an obd2 computer. Its the '95 and below years that screw you over.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's good news. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

That's good news. Thanks.
no problem, and I dunno how nice Sarasota is but I would imagine nicer than PA but maybe its just me I hate snow and cold weather but I guess it aint too bad up here. KOP happens to have one of the biggest malls in the country that is filled with beautiful and rich young ladies
Old 04-04-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

You'll be fine. I have Kooks long tubes and an ORY and it passes every time.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Zger, you going to bring out the camaro or the Impala this summer to Keilersville or Pepboys? I saw your thread about your Impala getting all that work done at Harris, my car should be going in next month for a cam and converter too.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Zger, you going to bring out the camaro or the Impala this summer to Keilersville or Pepboys? I saw your thread about your Impala getting all that work done at Harris, my car should be going in next month for a cam and converter too.

I usually go out to Pottstown during the summer and I'll probably go check out franklin mills again. I hate car shows anymore. It's mostly a bunch of old farts that sit around in their lawn chairs, wax their cars and talk about the good old days. I'll drive around with bird **** on my roof and not give it a second thought. I'd rather have my **** run hard than look pretty. Keelersville is full of drunken idiots, my GN got keyed there 2 summers ago and I haven't been back since. If I would have caught the ***** doing it, I'd a stabbed him in the freakin eye. I was going to go once last summer but never made it out there. Keep an eye out for me though, you know what my Camaro an Impala look like, but I also drive a white FRC corvette with black Z06 rims and loud *** exhaust.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zger
I usually go out to Pottstown during the summer and I'll probably go check out franklin mills again. I hate car shows anymore. It's mostly a bunch of old farts that sit around in their lawn chairs, wax their cars and talk about the good old days. I'll drive around with bird **** on my roof and not give it a second thought. I'd rather have my **** run hard than look pretty. Keelersville is full of drunken idiots, my GN got keyed there 2 summers ago and I haven't been back since. If I would have caught the ***** doing it, I'd a stabbed him in the freakin eye. I was going to go once last summer but never made it out there. Keep an eye out for me though, you know what my Camaro an Impala look like, but I also drive a white FRC corvette with black Z06 rims and loud *** exhaust.
I know exactly what you mean. I'll keep a look out for you up in Qtown.