Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Failed sound level check at Autox

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I race with the NER and had to comply with the sound rules. My ATR system did not make it. I tried the cones and they did nothing. Directing a turndown away from the meter worked untill the officals wised up and moved the meter a few times during the event. I added an 18 in dynomax bullet muffler in the int pipe after the cat/ypipe and that got me below sound.
The SCCA will be implementing a nation wide sound limit sonn because they are losing sites to noise complaints, NER is stricter, and its even worse if you run up at NHIS
Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you guys think a basicly stock ls1 with slp loudmouth 1 exhaust would fail?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BillS
I race with the NER and had to comply with the sound rules. My ATR system did not make it. I tried the cones and they did nothing. Directing a turndown away from the meter worked untill the officals wised up and moved the meter a few times during the event. I added an 18 in dynomax bullet muffler in the int pipe after the cat/ypipe and that got me below sound.
The SCCA will be implementing a nation wide sound limit sonn because they are losing sites to noise complaints, NER is stricter, and its even worse if you run up at NHIS
Yeah I definitely don't want to squeeze by the 95 db limit. I've never gone to the NER events. I'm well known at the BMWCCA ones, so they are easier on me. Id rather clear it by a bit.

So I am on the right track about tossing the bullet on the intermediate pipe. They told me I could put a tip that is turned down, but I didn't see how that would help a lot. It's not really fixing the problem
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea any car with the loudmouth will fail. I have seen stock Z06 and lotus' fail sound. I have even seen a guy get failed because he hit his horn by accident in a turn .
Old 04-26-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd like to try the SLP dual/dual with one of those Dynomax bullets in the intermediate pipe to see how that works.

Now, if I could get my hands on any type of SLP non loudmouth setup... anyone know of anyone selling one locally?

Other options I've looked up on random searches were the Hooker muffler. That got some good reviews for being quiet, but again its random people on the forums and I can't always rely on them.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car came with a dual-dual and it was super quiet. I switched to a LM1 and it was fine untill the headers and motor work. I switched the the ATR and I liked it but was over the limit, Adding the 18in bullet worked fine. You very well might be fine with just a dual-dual if you can get one. I still have mine and am not letting it go.
Also were you the white camaro at the evo school? If so I saw you, I was there in my wifes WRX, autoxing in the snow sucks on V710's. If that was you, you are loud, there were a few comments about it over in the challenge school
Old 04-26-2007, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hooker sucks and will not pass.

Listen

All you need is a SLP dual/dual -no bullit

or a Magnaflow with a bullit

Kids never listen do they?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BillS
My car came with a dual-dual and it was super quiet. I switched to a LM1 and it was fine untill the headers and motor work. I switched the the ATR and I liked it but was over the limit, Adding the 18in bullet worked fine. You very well might be fine with just a dual-dual if you can get one. I still have mine and am not letting it go.
Also were you the white camaro at the evo school? If so I saw you, I was there in my wifes WRX, autoxing in the snow sucks on V710's. If that was you, you are loud, there were a few comments about it over in the challenge school
Yes that was me That was a pretty rough day. I'm currently probably the loudest car I've ever heard at an autox event. I get a lot of compliments, but it's def not going to stay that way, lol
Old 04-26-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Hooker sucks and will not pass.

Listen

All you need is a SLP dual/dual -no bullit

or a Magnaflow with a bullit

Kids never listen do they?
There it is again. Random people on the internet making suggestions

So I'll make sure I pick up the Hooker, run mac mids, and swap my cam out for a 210/214 .630/.654 with a 124 LSA...

seriously though that definitely helps. The search is on for a dual/dual
Old 04-26-2007, 01:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

dual/dual requires no bullit its already **** quiet