Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Beginning of the end???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning of the end???

Earlier this week Daimler-Benz dumped Chrysler...Could this be the beginning of the end for the Dodge boys? Are we about to see just how strong this company is? Comments? WJ
Old 05-19-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

I dunno. I was shocked. I thought Chysler was putting out a lot of good products. Infact I just bought a new Jeep, because I didn't like what Ford or Chevy had been up to lately. Does this mean the Challenger is going to be scrapped? That would be bad for the Camaro and the Mustang as competition would be scarce. Maybe they will restructure and thrive as a wholey American company again? The group that bought them....Are they American? Its going to be interesting anyway.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

some changes will occur but cerebrus the co. who bought them is financially strong and will help bring them back though i think they'll be smaller.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/13311559/detail.html
Old 05-19-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

What sucks is Chrysler was doing very well back in '98 or so when MB purchased them. The germans mismanaged the **** out of the company, and now they're in trouble. Frankly I think Chrysler will be better off getting out from under Diamler.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whip
I dunno. I was shocked. I thought Chysler was putting out a lot of good products. Infact I just bought a new Jeep, because I didn't like what Ford or Chevy had been up to lately. Does this mean the Challenger is going to be scrapped? That would be bad for the Camaro and the Mustang as competition would be scarce. Maybe they will restructure and thrive as a wholey American company again? The group that bought them....Are they American? Its going to be interesting anyway.
From what ive read it was a private company based out of New York that focuses on restructuring companies. Although I beleive this is there first car company. I work for a chrysler dealer and there seemed to be a lot of fighting within the company in regards to what cars were being built. For instance, that is the reason they're not making crossfires anymore. Benz said no that it was cutting into their sales so they stopped that. Also, if you've been to any show such as the one with the new camaro concept you may have seen the Chrysler ME Four twelve. It is a supercar that is loosely based on the mclaren. It took them a fraction of the time and money to build. They were pissed about that too and didnt want to put it in production. This doesnt speak well for the challenger but hopefully they will build it to try to turn the company around. we'll see...
Old 05-20-2007, 03:34 AM
10 Second Club

Maybe they will restructure and thrive as a wholey American company again?
I hope so, right now I only refer to our beloved U.S. auto industry as The Big Two (aka: GM and Ford) but would love to call them all The Big Three again.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Getting dodge back out of the hands of the germans is probably a good thing.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When that much money and time is invested, the challanger will come out, thats a non-issue, the problem is that Chrysler thought that Mecedes we going to be answers to prayers. When Daimler bought Chrysler it was worth like 30 billion, now sold for 7 or something like that, thats a major loss, also that almost 10 years of loss on paper, it hurts.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
When that much money and time is invested, the challanger will come out, thats a non-issue, the problem is that Chrysler thought that Mecedes we going to be answers to prayers. When Daimler bought Chrysler it was worth like 30 billion, now sold for 7 or something like that, thats a major loss, also that almost 10 years of loss on paper, it hurts.
I hope you're right about that challenger. There supposed to be able to be back in the black by the end of the year by shuffling funds around.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
What sucks is Chrysler was doing very well back in '98 or so when MB purchased them. The germans mismanaged the **** out of the company, and now they're in trouble. Frankly I think Chrysler will be better off getting out from under Diamler.
Actually, didn't Chrysler incorporate many Benz sedan parts and suspension ideas into their 300 car? Maybe Daimler financially mis-managed Chrysler, but overall Chrysler started putting out better quality vehicles than they ever had before Daimler entered the picture...we'll see whether or not they sink or swim w/a financial partner that has absolutely no car experience....Like I stated, it should be very interesting. WJ
Old 05-20-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find myself wondering lately exactly what the future holds for American cars. Things have never looked bleaker. It just seems like the big 3 can't catch a break. After a period of turning out cars that just weren't competitive in reliability, performance and styling with their foreign competition, the American companies are finally getting their act together and making some decent cars, and they're still racking up huge losses year in and year out. If they can't solve the problems with their pension situation who knows if they can ever be profitable again. I thought Chrysler was the one American company that was actually treading water, what with the success of the 300/Magnum/Charger cars, but they're deep in the red too. I would hate to think of a day when there are no domestic car companies. Japan and Europe make some great cars but they will never produce a true muscle car in the spirit of classic American muscle. When you look at the Camaro and Challenger concepts (and, to be fair, the new Mustang) it's clear that the big 3 can still deliver. Let's hope they can figure out how to make money selling plain vanilla cars for the masses so we can still have someone to build cool cars for us to drive.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

The gas price problem will once again put a end to the current and new American muscle cars, just like the fuel shortage did back in the 80's. Just watch. These ********* will have gasoline at $5 per gal. before long. WJ.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Race your car!

probably be 5 bucks a gallong before the end of the year if god damn bush has his way...... that piece of crap.

Nothing like letting the oil companies drive the prices to the moon, while the guy that could say something/do something about it just sits back and watches his retirement fund get bigger and bigger... corporate america, isn't it great
Old 05-20-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
probably be 5 bucks a gallong before the end of the year if god damn bush has his way...... that piece of crap.

Nothing like letting the oil companies drive the prices to the moon, while the guy that could say something/do something about it just sits back and watches his retirement fund get bigger and bigger... corporate america, isn't it great
I hear ya bro. 3.55/gal for 93 by me. Once it hits 4/gal I might have a post in the for sale forum. Thats why you can not have a president with vested interests in oil/gas companies and a father with direct ties to oil rich Saudi's.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Actually, didn't Chrysler incorporate many Benz sedan parts and suspension ideas into their 300 car? Maybe Daimler financially mis-managed Chrysler, but overall Chrysler started putting out better quality vehicles than they ever had before Daimler entered the picture...we'll see whether or not they sink or swim w/a financial partner that has absolutely no car experience....Like I stated, it should be very interesting. WJ
They used the old E-series chasis for the new Chrysler large cars. But if you think about it, that's nothing but a smart move on Benz's part - making more money off an old chasis that's already had the tooling and design costs long since covered. It would be like GM using the Fbody chasis to build a "new" coupe for Saturn.

And Benz is now at the bottom of the quality heap, so I'd say their influence likely would've dragged down Chrysler's quality.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by big reg
I hear ya bro. 3.55/gal for 93 by me. Once it hits 4/gal I might have a post in the for sale forum. Thats why you can not have a president with vested interests in oil/gas companies and a father with direct ties to oil rich Saudi's.

Exactly.. all I can say is I didn't vote for the ********, or his father for that matter. And now I hear Jeb is gonna run LOL... but I think this country, even with it's high redneck idiot populus in teh south won't even vote another bush into office. How the hell this one ever got in, never mind a 2nd time is beyond me.. hell beyone everyone I know.

I won't be selling my car bacause of fuel costs, it's gonna be off teh road after this summer anyway, and seeing as I'm already putting 105 unleaded in it at the tune of 6.50 a gallon, it's a mute point. 1000 or less miles a year, doesn't equate to enough of an expendature even at 8 mpg.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry, but I just cannot agree w/anyone who thinks that Mercedes Benz is at the bottom of the quality heap..... WJ
Old 05-20-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is turning unto a political thread. I also, cannot agree with mercedes being bad quality.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Sorry, but I just cannot agree w/anyone who thinks that Mercedes Benz is at the bottom of the quality heap..... WJ
That isn't just someone's opinion, it's a fact. Check Consumer Reports or J.D. Power or wherever. They have been plagued by quality issues for years. Not to say they don't make some awesome cars, this is just in reference to reliability. Just the sheer complexity of all the luxury features they cram into their cars seems like a recipe for gremlins anyways. That being said, I will still gladly take an SL65 AMG if somebody wants to give me one.