Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Qualifying for emissions exempt in NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Qualifying for emissions exempt in NJ?

What hoops do I need to jump through to make a car emissions exempt in this state?

Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

You could get a limited use (I think it's <3K miles/year stipulated?), 'collecter car' registration.
But even the people with these are constantly getting stopped by cops who don't even know/realize what the triangular shaped window sticker means. Some even think it is a new "fail" sticker.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

Vehicles applying for collector vehicle status must be approved by MVC. Follow these steps to apply:

Complete the collector vehicle application

Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead

Show proof of limited-use insurance

Include photographs of front, driver side, passenger side and rear of the vehicle

How is one supposed to come up with a bs letter like they require? WTF
Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

I was thinking of doing this also. Is there a visual inspection for emissions? I have no cats on the car.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Collector car reg here and they just check the miles. No probs there.

-brian
Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Collector car reg here and they just check the miles. No probs there.

-brian
Can you explain the process of obtaing the collector car reg please. I'm wanting to get this taken care of in the next couple weeks. Are there any emissions checks? Thanks

-Mike
Old 01-30-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

calm down. short answer is........you probably CANT get it now. they changed the rule last sept. 07. before that, you could just go and get the collector sticker, no problem. and now, if you already have the sticker, you can get it renewed. but to get a new one, its damn ******* near impossible. i already emailed pontiac about doing it to my 02 TA...havent heard back from them. a bunch of us are trying to go through what we can on NJFBOA.org. i suggest you join up, if only for the sake of you living in NJ. its the NJ fbody club. monthly meets, drag/track days, etc. come and check it out. ive asked the club owners about sending out a letter, since they are supposed to be a real club with credentials.....but havent heard back yet.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't know it changed. Before it changed I got it for my other car with almost no effort. Too bad, cuz that was my backup plan if I couldn't pass inspection some place

-J
Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
calm down. short answer is........you probably CANT get it now. they changed the rule last sept. 07. before that, you could just go and get the collector sticker, no problem. and now, if you already have the sticker, you can get it renewed. but to get a new one, its damn ******* near impossible. i already emailed pontiac about doing it to my 02 TA...havent heard back from them. a bunch of us are trying to go through what we can on NJFBOA.org. i suggest you join up, if only for the sake of you living in NJ. its the NJ fbody club. monthly meets, drag/track days, etc. come and check it out. ive asked the club owners about sending out a letter, since they are supposed to be a real club with credentials.....but havent heard back yet.
That'd be nice if they could do a letter, but I don't have an f-body any longer. I need it for a Mustang.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Typical NJ BS. They change the rules after my 2-year regular sticker is ready to expire. What about SLP can they supply a letter?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Didn't know it changed. Before it changed I got it for my other car with almost no effort. Too bad, cuz that was my backup plan if I couldn't pass inspection some place

-J
I'll find out this month!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha me too. I have... 5 hours to pass the formula
Old 01-31-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea I really lucked out getting my reg done before they made it crazy. My car will pass a plug-in but no way in hell pass a visual.

-brian
Old 01-31-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are several inquiries floating around to find out what the requirements of this "official letter" actually have to be. to this point the answer seems to be a giant "we don't know" from motor vehicles, the state house, and even private inspection locations.

as soon as i can find out the requirements, the NJFBOA will immediately make arrangements to start supplying letters. not sure how we will work the system since i have no idea what year i will get a real answer or what the actual terms will be.

and don't worry, we won't discriminate against you and your little mustang :p

btw, visit the east coast nats forum on NJFBOA.org and check out the thread titled "Friday Night Fights", it is our annual F-Body vs. Mustang event being held on august 8th.

Quick Reply: Qualifying for emissions exempt in NJ?