Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Blu-ray WINS!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Blu-ray WINS!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_de...isc_format_war

On 19 February, Toshiba announces its decision to discontinue its HD DVD business, with an aim of cessation by March. Media reports that US retailers are told to expect Blu-ray Disc versions of popular HD DVD exclusives such as Transformers in the coming days.

I am so glad I have my PS3 and started to Buy in Bluray!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

PlayStation 3 FTMFW!!!

Come on Gran Turismo 5...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew it would eventually happen...

Blu-Ray is here to stay,I sold my PS3 since I'm old and got bored of playing games
Gonna buy a nice Blu-Ray player in about a month..
Old 02-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Internet Mechanic

I like my player alot. I have to read the instruction booklet, when I end a movie and go to the menu, there isnt a button/input to shut the unit down, w/ exception of turning off the master power switch, which I worry about damaging the unit.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_de...isc_format_war

On 19 February, Toshiba announces its decision to discontinue its HD DVD business, with an aim of cessation by March. Media reports that US retailers are told to expect Blu-ray Disc versions of popular HD DVD exclusives such as Transformers in the coming days.

I am so glad I have my PS3 and started to Buy in Bluray!!
I wouldn't say BluRay "wins." They defeated HD DVD, maybe, but they have a long way to go before they "win" anything. Now they have to compete with standard DVD to become the official format. I don't know about you, but I never pay more than $10 for a DVD. I typically spend $4-$7 per movie. When was the last time you saw a $4-$7 BluRay disc?

I'll take a standard $6 DVD and a $65 upconvert DVD player anyday over some insanely overpriced BluRay nonsense, and well over 90% of the market agrees with me on this one. Sony has a long way to go until they win anything. Sony has been padding their BluRay player sales with PS3 numbers for a long time now to try and convince the industry to side with them. They're desperate because their upcoming fight with DVD looks bleak.

They better start cutting prices HARD and FAST. Oh, and load times? There's something about the insanely long load times to load a BluRay disc that drives me nuts. Plus, most of the players can't play the BRD without the remote. The buttons on the front are useless. Insanely high prices, low availability, high load times, unfriendly players...they're fighting an uphill battle.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a PS3 specifically to play Blue Ray DVD's. It is amazing. For the price, you can't beat it. Connects to my wireless network for automatic updates too. Does upconversion and makes 480P DVD's look great.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank god transformers on bluray i cant wait.........
Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
I wouldn't say BluRay "wins." They defeated HD DVD, maybe, but they have a long way to go before they "win" anything. Now they have to compete with standard DVD to become the official format. I don't know about you, but I never pay more than $10 for a DVD. I typically spend $4-$7 per movie. When was the last time you saw a $4-$7 BluRay disc?

I'll take a standard $6 DVD and a $65 upconvert DVD player anyday over some insanely overpriced BluRay nonsense, and well over 90% of the market agrees with me on this one. Sony has a long way to go until they win anything. Sony has been padding their BluRay player sales with PS3 numbers for a long time now to try and convince the industry to side with them. They're desperate because their upcoming fight with DVD looks bleak.

They better start cutting prices HARD and FAST. Oh, and load times? There's something about the insanely long load times to load a BluRay disc that drives me nuts. Plus, most of the players can't play the BRD without the remote. The buttons on the front are useless. Insanely high prices, low availability, high load times, unfriendly players...they're fighting an uphill battle.
DVD was sony's format when they launched the ps2...people critized them for it...it worked out and here we are again with the PS3 and blu-ray...i don't know if you remember but blu-ray has been on the market for roughly a year and a half...players are already at 4x+ reading times...i give it about a year before prices start going down on discs and players get a lot better...once HD tvs start populating every household DVD will be phased out...thats just the nature of things...i don't get why some people are so afraid of adopting new technology and criticize the new superior one...i got a PS3 and man do I already hate watching DVDs on my 1080p tv...i don't see why you wouldnt pay a couple of extra bucks for something that looks 100 times better...but then again thats just my opinion
Old 02-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

I am fully confident in saying that.

DVD format has been around for 10+ years, the changing of the guard is happening, its Economies of Scale, the more thats produced, the lower the cost becomes.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Umm I won't say it... Ehh never mind.

"Told Ya'll so"
Old 02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
JS
10 Second Club

I agree with Mikey,the PSIII is an awesome machine but I got what I paid for it so it is gone....I had the older version with the better engine and it seems alot of the hardcore guys want this model..It sold in 1 day on ebay and I was shocked..

Regular DVD or Upconvert is POO compared to Blu-Ray.
I have a Samsung LN-T4665F--->(P6 Version with Firmaware upgrade)...It was the 2007 best 46in LCD of the Year and when I was running my PSIII on it the movies were spectacular...In a month or 2 they will have a sale on one of the newer BR units and I'll grab one
Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm
Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

not yet... Microsoft still hasn't said they'd accept Blue-Ray. Last I checked this will implicate the Xbox 360. If MS keeps the Toshiba format, the war will continue on, Just that blue ray will have a larger foothold as MS is already using HD.

Last edited by Rhode Island Red; 02-19-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:10 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Who's got all the women at Harvard,Yale and Brown Fredie the Freshmen the Freshest Kid in Town

RRR its over for DVD-HD.....
Old 02-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I am fully confident in saying that.

DVD format has been around for 10+ years, the changing of the guard is happening, its Economies of Scale, the more thats produced, the lower the cost becomes.
Yea, but it also has to do with time. People don't want to wait, and if BluRay doesn't come down to a reasonable price fast enough, it doesn't matter how good the technology is. People won't buy it.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Yea, but it also has to do with time. People don't want to wait, and if BluRay doesn't come down to a reasonable price fast enough, it doesn't matter how good the technology is. People won't buy it.
i dunno...i got my ps3 on launch day for 600 plus tax...and let me tell you there was a crap load of people that wanted one...when i bought 300 on blu-ray there where a crap load of people buying too...3 million + PS3s sold kinda refutes your argument about people not buying new technology bro (we are all tech junkies now a days)...not to mention PS3 even outsold the wii for the month of January here in the states...iphone was another one...i had a friend pay over 800 for it, he didn't even get it till like 2-3 weeks later too since they were sold out although he had payed for it months in advance.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i read on a xbox fourm that gamestop also now stopped taking HD-DVD's in trade too as of yesterday or today. lol bring on transformers in blu-ray
Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Some people prob used to think the same back when dvd's came out vs vhs...also with digital programming going into effect beginning of 09 I think even more people will want to get hd tv's and blu-rays (since hd dvd players won't be made anymore).

Last edited by jimmy169; 02-19-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Blu-ray is already much cheaper though, it keeps going down fast, but damn hd was even cheaper...I was so tempted to buy an hd player a little while back.

I saw a blu-ray at target I can't remember if it sold for 299 or 399 though but it came with a 100 dollar target gift card, lol. But then I saw an hd dvd player going for 150 bux around the same price, and this was about a month ago or more. I remember when Blu-rays where selling for 1k, and now they are selling for less than what hd players used to sell for. I'm just wondering if this announcement will keep the blu ray players stable price wise or if it will continue to go down as it's been doing.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Some people prob used to think the same back when dvd's came out vs vhs...also with digital programming going into effect beginning of 09 I think even more people will want to get hd tv's and blu-rays (since hd dvd players won't be made anymore).
Even when DVD first came out, they were selling for ~$20 for a brand new release. The VHS's usually sold for $16 or $17, so there was less than a $5 difference. The difference between DVD and BRD is nearly a 100% price difference. DVD's came out at around $20 (usually under $20 the first week due to introductory pricing). BRD's are in the ~$30 range, and today new DVD's are priced around $15 the first week. That is ridiculous considering BRD quality isn't a whole lot better than an upconverted DVD hooked up via HDMI, and once you factor in poor BRD player functionality and ridiculously slow read times...I can't justify spending double the money for the same movie, and almost anyone will agree with me by the poor selling of BRD's to this point.

The VHS vs. DVD argument is a bad one. It's nothing like the DVD vs. BRD argument. Reason is VHS is analog. It's nothing even close to DVD. Analog tape requires 100% perfect integrity to maintain its proper clarity. DVD's are digital, and digital can be reconstructed. Data is more durable in digital format, plus DVD's will outlast a VHS tape by decades, they won't rot, you don't have to rewind them...it's not even a comparison. DVD vs. BRD...a BRD is just a slightly clearer DVD. That's all it is.