Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

87 octane safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 87 octane safe?

I believe I accidentally put 87 octane in my car a week ago, i found the reciept and noticed price per gallon was around 3.11 or something and I realized this was not the price of premium at the time.

I had my car dynotuned but I think it is on the rich side since after I race when I let off the gas it like's to shoot out a flame, which is fine I would rather have it on the safe side, but I am wondering if regular is ok to put in these cars? I've noticed gas price's have gone up and started thinking, maybe if it's safe with regular I might as well stick with it. I've been driving around and still haven't emptied the tank yet but was just curious before i go to fill up, what you guys recommend?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

In delaware we have ethonal in our fuel and there is nothing good about it.. I have to run atleast 93 in my vette or it run like sh*t.. I ran 87 in my quad (06 Z400) and it mess up my carb an hour after riding. Some people run but i wouldn't recommend it at all
Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will run like crap, but just drive it normaly till you burn it off, then put the good stuff back in. Just don't go WOT and you will be fine.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy169
I believe I accidentally put 87 octane in my car a week ago, i found the reciept and noticed price per gallon was around 3.11 or something and I realized this was not the price of premium at the time.

I had my car dynotuned but I think it is on the rich side since after I race when I let off the gas it like's to shoot out a flame, which is fine I would rather have it on the safe side, but I am wondering if regular is ok to put in these cars? I've noticed gas price's have gone up and started thinking, maybe if it's safe with regular I might as well stick with it. I've been driving around and still haven't emptied the tank yet but was just curious before i go to fill up, what you guys recommend?
That car is tuned on 93 (For MAX performance), you leave 93 in there. Some cars when tuned have to loose their low octane tables and have them matched to high octane due to the PCM jumping around. Call eastside and have them check the file to see IF your car still has the low octane table.

You could put some rubbing alchol in the motor, that would cut the fuel and give it a better chance to resist KR, also its still cold so you can prob just drive, NORMAL and not have an issue but until you find out what tables you have, go back to the 93.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Ok no more stepping on it for me, thanks for the info, I have about a 1/4 left to go.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

my car has never seen less then 93 t.t so i dont know
Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have run all kinds of fuel with all kinda of cams over the years, just dont go WOT and you will be fine
Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

If your paying around $45 for a fill up, whats an extra $3? I know too many people who pay +35k for a car and then complain about having to put 93 in it. Talk about cheap
Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by badpanda
If your paying around $45 for a fill up, whats an extra $3? I know too many people who pay +35k for a car and then complain about having to put 93 in it. Talk about cheap
Heh, my car is much cheaper than that, I actually want to sell it mainly because of gas price's.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure what your financial situation is, but when gas prices were getting on my nerve I dumped the SUV and picked up an old manual 4 banger civic for daily driving and kept my f-body for fun driving. The civic holds less than 1/2 the amount of gas than the SUV, but I get 2.5 weeks of driving out of the civic as opposed to the SUV's 1.5 weeks of driving.

Just a suggestion though, I know it might not be practical for you, but would be a shame to sell because of the cost of gas.