Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

VA drivers to get break on fees

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default VA drivers to get break on fees

I just got my car inspected and wondered why it was $27 ...a jump of $10 from last year. Now I know so I guess I'll be getting money back? Also had the 1% registration fee sent to me in the mail last week. Glad I didnt pay it yet. Tim also had a auto repair service fee when he had a couple tires put on along with a front end alignment on his DD a month ago. I can't imagine how on earth they will return all the fees that were collected....such as the auto repair. Imagine all the people they collected it from!

----------

RICHMOND, Va. -- The ripple effect of the Virginia Supreme Court ruling on transportation fees and taxes is now being felt.

The Northern Virginia Transportation Authority told all of its agents to stop collecting those seven regional fees and taxes as of 10 a.m. Tuesday. That means if you happen to be doing something like getting your car inspected, fixed or registered, you should not be charged those additional fees or taxes.

Here is the complete list of the seven fees and taxes which can no longer be collected.

Two percent transient occupancy tax

Grantor's tax of 40 cents per $100 of valuation

Two percent tax on vehicle rentals

Safety inspection fee of $10

Initial vehicle registration fee of 1 percent

Five percent sales tax on auto repair

Regional vehicle registration fee of $10
"We have also advised people to hang on to receipts," says Chris Zimmerman, chairman of the NVTA. "The Authority is now working with state officials and attorneys to devise a refund plan."

The refund plan will most likely take some time to develop.

"It is a fairly complex thing to figure out across the seven different types of taxes and fees, how refunding is going to be done and who is going to be doing it exactly," says Zimmerman.

Those new fees and taxes started being collected at the beginning of the year. Zimmerman says about $8 million has been taken in so far, but none of it has been spent.

Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine tells WTOP lawmakers have a "sense of urgency" about finding the needed funds for transportation.

"There really is a sense of urgency about trying to find a solution," Kaine says.

Kaine says the two priorities he and legislators are working on are finding money for traffic for transportation challenges in Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads and finding statewide maintenance money.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah i'm happy they stopped that..mind you it was only the people in northern va and in the hampton roads area that were getting charged the fees and that's why it was stopped. They were also charging an extra 1% on sales tax for cars registered for the first time in those areas as well which was really expensive for some people
Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm one of the one's that got the 1% bill for the Honda I registered recently. I hadnt paid it yet so that's good.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
I'm one of the one's that got the 1% bill for the Honda I registered recently. I hadnt paid it yet so that's good.
yeah that is good..i have had people come into my job with cars that were 50k and they had to pay the extra 1% on that. Needless to say they were pissed but now i guess they will be happy getting a $500 check back in the mail.