Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Just ordered the Textralia!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking Just ordered the Textralia!

I've had clutch/tranny issues ever since I bought my car almost two years ago and I've put a ridiculous amount of money into it trying to fix it. I've replaced every thing at least once, twice in most cases, from the master (currently adjustable) to the tranny itself (currently a Six Speeds Inc GTO tranny) and the only consistent pieces to this puzzle have been the fact that I've used only Spec clutches. Everything else was different OEM or built aftermarket parts, but twice now I've put in Spec clutches and the issues just don't seem to go away.

So, I decided to scrap the Spec and ordered the new OZ700 Z-grip with another new slave/throwout, new pilot, and a new flywheel. It's going in sometime early to mid next week and if it solves my problem, I'll probably cry tears of joy and then burn the current Spec clutch with only 3,000 miles on it in a bonfire rage dedicated to that company.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

You band wagon jumpin person you......

lol
Old 03-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Joe, with the problems you have had, you have got to be the poster child for a 4L80 swap. Screw putting another clutch in that car, put the $ towards a manual valve body equipped 4l80 with a transbrake, and have a perfectly streetable car that will be a TON of fun to drive, nevermind the fact that it will probably go a good 3/4 of a second faster at the track.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know how some people kill these SPEC clutches, i had mine last over 50k miles and only replaced it cus i thought i should due to the mileage when we took it apart it was fine with alot of life left
i did melt one to the flywheel once at the track but i think it was my fault
Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Joe, with the problems you have had, you have got to be the poster child for a 4L80 swap. Screw putting another clutch in that car, put the $ towards a manual valve body equipped 4l80 with a transbrake, and have a perfectly streetable car that will be a TON of fun to drive, nevermind the fact that it will probably go a good 3/4 of a second faster at the track.
There is certainly truth in that comment.

That car would give Ron def a run for the money, even with his new mods on the horizon. But I joe has too much fun rowing gears.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Race your car!

Joe would have alot more fun pulling the shifter when the light comes on as he's going by a TON more people then he can now, that I'm sure of.

A 4l80 with a 4400 converter, and that car would go from a mid 12 second car to a 11 second car in a heartbeat. A set of shocks and drag rims and tires, and he'd be putting a rollbar in it.

Wanna fix your car, leave the stick in it, wanna race the car, put an auto in it.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told back when I had a Spec clutch put in my 99Z that you should put the clutch through three heat cycles of normal driving prior to getting on it too hard. (Slowhawk)

Did you break the other clutch in or just start out baking the tires,lol
Old 03-05-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like someone didnt break in the clutch right =X
i did this on my 86 irocz, put new clutch in started beating on it immediately and look who needed a clutch not even 5k miles later ;D
needless to say i put it back to a auto lol, i only put a t5 in it cause i wanted a stick car. then realized how much more stuff breaks with it and put it back.

but i say keep the stick! dont go to auto, if your a stick driver you will hate yourself, especially on the highway. unless they make manual lock ups for the 4l80 which i doubt they do.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Race your car!

They make manual valve body's for a 4l80, transbrakes, everything.

Joe's been thru every break in procedure out there, the easy way, hard way, everything, and the problem he's having has never gone away. If you put the car in 1st gear, push the clutch in and floor it the car moves foreward, the clutch drags, therefore not disengaging when you're at the track with your foot to the floor. I think he's tried every possible thing, adjustable master, etc.etc.etc, and none of it has mattered.

That stick + Joe just aren't meant to be, he's cursed with problems.

Get that stick out of there, what you can sell that tranny for you can easlily get 2/3 of the $ ya need for a 4l80 swap First launch off a transbrake, and you'll never regret getting rid of the stick.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea first launch off a t-brake he wont regret getting rid of the stick, until he sees his 10 bolt in 50 pieces
then he will be calling AAA lol
Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
yea first launch off a t-brake he wont regret getting rid of the stick, until he sees his 10 bolt in 50 pieces
then he will be calling AAA lol
hey now AAA gets ya home and LVD is just at the AAA limit for the free tow
Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thechef
I dont know how some people kill these SPEC clutches, i had mine last over 50k miles and only replaced it cus i thought i should due to the mileage when we took it apart it was fine with alot of life left
people either love their Spec's and have no problems with them or people hate them b/c they didnt last long at all.
i hated my Spec3....broke it in nice and easy for 500 miles....chattered from day 1 untill the day it went. 7k miles with 2 track passes on DR's AND 1 Power Tour from Wisconsin to Florida is all it took before it welded itself to the flywheel.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ouch, this is why i will stick with either a nice z06 clutch or tex. i have heard more negative then positive about the spec clutches.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

I'm on my 3rd now and I've owned my car for 4-5 years....I've had nothing but good luck with them.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Race your car!

hey now AAA gets ya home and LVD is just at the AAA limit for the free tow
Yeah, now if we could just get the next step after the tow home accomplished, life would be good.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

im on my second spec and never had issues with them . seen a few of the first 3I's weld but unstick em and there fine

i got 35k on my stg3 and its still fine, my buddys putting it in his gto when he pulls the tranny . got a lil over 10k on my stg5 which is more then i expected . always broke them in and then beat the crap outta them just dont like being slipped as any race style clutch wouldnt. i rarely slip the clutch with my driving style
Old 03-05-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Keith are you running 3.90's or 4.10's?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

4.10's fred
Old 03-06-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
4.10's fred
I'd say to go 4.30 if you want to max that combo. Just my opinion though.. Fred
Old 03-06-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Holy crap, 18 responses in a day. I thought this would be one of those rant threads that gets buried on the second page within a couple hours.

Anyways, yeah, I've broken in these clutches to about 650 miles on each one before even taking it over 2500 RPM or so, city-type driving. The Stage 3 went after 8k and this current one is doing well after 3k except that it absolutely will not disengage at 5000 RPM or higher. I've replaced everything clutch related at least once, twice in some cases, and it just doesn't want to work with a Spec clutch in there.

Clearly if this Tex doesn't fix the problem, I may think about selling it and starting over with something bone stock (keeping my 12-bolt and other various parts that I can swap, of course), but I'm hopeful for the Tex. I've heard nothing but great reviews about it and loved Aaron's when I drove it. We'll probably find out on Tuesday as it's arriving Monday and I'm probably gonna do the swap Tuesday night.

Now everyone cross all your fingers and toes for me....A working clutch and some sticky ET Streets and I should be seeing 11s all day.