Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Exhaust laws in NC

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust laws in NC

Can someone tell me the 0ffical exhaust laws for NC. I will be moving there in august and I want to know what options i have for getting an exhaust. Here in Nj you are not aloud to have true duals, dual cats, or an electric cut-out. Your car can not excede 95dB at 2,000rpm from 40 feet behind the car. you must have a working cat with a muffler. your exhaust must end after the last rolling window which on an f-body is after the axel. It would be much appeciated.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy
Can someone tell me the 0ffical exhaust laws for NC. I will be moving there in august and I want to know what options i have for getting an exhaust. Here in Nj you are not aloud to have true duals, dual cats, or an electric cut-out. Your car can not excede 95dB at 2,000rpm from 40 feet behind the car. you must have a working cat with a muffler. your exhaust must end after the last rolling window which on an f-body is after the axel. It would be much appeciated.
Our cars come stock with dual cats, and cars like vettes and many others have true duals stock so how can this be illegal?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

sonce NC inspects vehicles, you should be ab;e to call a DMV office or inspection center to obtain the specific laws.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the law says that you need to have all of your emissions equipment (this includes AIR/EGR if your car had them and of course cats). Catalytic converters must be in place and not moved from their original location. No leaks, no cutouts, mufflers required.

No limit on dB for inspection, but kind of goes without saying your car should be pretty quiet with cats & a muffler.

There are several places you can go that would pass you anyway, though. One thing you will need is to pass an OBDII hookup - so no CELs on, no codes, and readiness monitors set. Everything else is just visual...and can be overlooked for $$
Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Depends on where you move in NC.. The rural counties, including here in the mountains of western NC, are visual only with no hookups of any type. The larger counties and cities such as the Charlotte or Raleigh areas require more specific inspections as stated above. The inspection stickers you get are even different colors. I bought my T/A in Concord (near Charlotte) and asked the dealer why the inspection sticker was different and they said because that particular county had more emission control requirements. There is a site under NC government listings that states which specific counties fall under this stricter law. As I stated it is usually in the larger cities where the traffic and population are heaviest. I don't believe you can skirt the law by going to another 'easier' county since they ask for your registration which has your address.

Last edited by NC01TA; 03-30-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

LOL you've seen my car...none of that crap matters.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 AM
Launching!

I still cant find an law about exhaust. But what it seems is as long as you have cats your good. And if you take the car to a county in the mountains they will pass you.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the norteast corner of NC and after you run the initial inspecton that is about it. Every **** in this part if NC has damn glass packs on their truck and you can take your car to a mom and pop shop for further inspections, hint hint I have heard that things are going to change in the near future though....

Last edited by DVS99TRANS; 06-27-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: Exhaust laws in NC