Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Lancaster PA Area shop recomend

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lancaster PA Area shop recomend

Hey guys.

I need recommendations of a good shop. My car has developed a knock in the engine less than a week after I picked it up. Probably my own stupid fault for not changing the oil immediately. Anyway, I need suggestions for a good shop so I can get it checked out. Or if any of you are local and would be willing to give an LS1 newb some help and deal with constant questions

I'm not that bad, just don't have the tools and I've never even owned a V8 before let alone work on something that stuffed in a car as tight as these things are.

I have already emailed Rapid Motorsports to see if he might be able to at least point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

when do you hear this knock?? is it during the first start up while its warming up?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Launching!

About 30 to 45 seconds after the car is started cold, the knock starts. Quiet at first, then louder. It changes speed with engine RPM. I can hear it from the top of the engine and from near both fender wells. I thought it might be piston slap but that goes away after the engine warms up doesn't it?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feel free to give me a call im not too far from lancaster ide be glad to help you out and figure out the problem.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MiniTransAm
Hey guys.

I need recommendations of a good shop. My car has developed a knock in the engine less than a week after I picked it up. Probably my own stupid fault for not changing the oil immediately. Anyway, I need suggestions for a good shop so I can get it checked out. Or if any of you are local and would be willing to give an LS1 newb some help and deal with constant questions

I'm not that bad, just don't have the tools and I've never even owned a V8 before let alone work on something that stuffed in a car as tight as these things are.

I have already emailed Rapid Motorsports to see if he might be able to at least point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!
Definitely a step in the right direction by calling Rapid.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Feel free to give me a call im not too far from lancaster ide be glad to help you out and figure out the problem.

Hey I'll give you a shout at some point. You aren't that far away from me. About an hour and a half according to google. Thanks for the offer

Honestly, how much do you guys think I could tackle on my own? I do alot of my own general maint but I've never tore a head apart before. Is an LS1 a good engine to cut my teeth on?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

amish speed works?...j/k
Old 04-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by motown2
amish speed works?...j/k

Well they do deal in horsepower. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Ok so it wasn't that funny, but still
Old 04-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey I'll give you a shout at some point. You aren't that far away from me. About an hour and a half according to google. Thanks for the offer

Honestly, how much do you guys think I could tackle on my own? I do alot of my own general maint but I've never tore a head apart before. Is an LS1 a good engine to cut my teeth on?

good talking with ya... see ya next week.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

hey man, where in lancaster u at? I've had my car for about 3 years but i am def still a newb when it comes to engine work. I'm over in manheim
Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Launching!

between the city and millersville
Old 04-11-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

cool, how long ago did u get the car? find any good shops?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Launching!

I picked it up a week ago today (friday). Haven't located a shop real close yet but I'm heading out to Frans96SS shop this coming wednesday to have a couple things looked at.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

I picked it up a week ago today (friday). Haven't located a shop real close yet but I'm heading out to Frans96SS shop this coming wednesday to have a couple things looked at.

cool man, congrats on the car.. when is his shop at?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by phillyz28
cool man, congrats on the car.. when is his shop at?
Claymont, DE. About an hour and change away.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

that aint bad, i know there are a few shops that i've heard were good but i've never personally gotten work done their before

there is harris speed works in Warminster, PA but they are about 2 hours away. there is also a shop in reading by the name of Rapid MotorSports. And I think there is a place called Spohn Performance up in N. Lebanon all of which are sponsors on here

honestly though you could find a lot of people on here willing to help you out for pizza and a case of beer and u could avoid paying big bucks but if you go that route of course the work is not guaranteed
Old 04-14-2008, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

go to either racekrafters on dillerville rd right outside of lancaster city or else bradys high performance in millersville, they both do legit work. ive had my car to both shops.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by moserman
go to either racekrafters on dillerville rd right outside of lancaster city or else bradys high performance in millersville, they both do legit work. ive had my car to both shops.
Do both of the do just regular repairs?? I know exactly where racekrafters is, didn't know if they only did high performance mods and things like that.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

please whatever you do, stay away from Brady's and racecrafters unless you have bottomless pockets. racecrafters treats you based on how much cash you spend and brady's is just plain expensive(900 for a gear install) stick with the sponsers, they'll take much better care of you
Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Launching!

I've also heard that about racecrafters tonight at work. So far it looks like I may just start taking it to the dealer. Probably wouldn't cost me as much as I think based on what people have been telling me. So where does everyone take their cars when something just breaks and you can't/won't fix it yourself. I'm not talking anything performance. Just maint. only. I have a feeling "speed shops" won't really want to get into just doing work for somebody. I had hoped Rapid Motorsports would have replied to my email but they must not check it much. I'll have to give them a shout.

Quick Reply: Lancaster PA Area shop recomend