Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

message to fellow Maryland and other North East peoples....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default message to fellow Maryland and other North East peoples....

i just spent short of a week in the Baltimore, md area and i cant for the life of me believe the cost of housing there. jesus h christ. what is wrong with you people? i feel bad. i thought the cost of housing was expensive in Florida, but man.

you guys are flat out getting ripped off. and to boot, you have to deal with cold weather and lousy traffic? lol. just kiddin folks.

but really, i cant believe the cost of housing. i dont understand it. nearly all my extended family lives in that area. a cousin of mine just bought her first house (she is nearly 40). they have dual income (not the best, just blue colar stuff) and she paid 309K for a 950 sq foot 2 bed 1 bath house built in 1953 in the Pasadena, md area! she told me her house "needed work." i wont make fun of the rednecks there anymore. i cant hang!

this blows my mind. now my question to you folks that didnt grow up with a silver spoon and have to work for your money. how do you afford it? i assume not everyone makes a household income of 100K+ a year? talking the average joe. i cant imagine how much money you would have ot make to have kids and toys as well as a decent house. a decent house (based on what i saw) was in teh 500K range with a huge tax bill.

PS - hi to my glen burnie boys
Old 04-10-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

btw, just looked up this fact for Glen Burnie, MD:

The median income for a household in the CDP was $45,281 (2000)

now it makes even less sense!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its just because of the city...i live just above baltimore and we paid like 450k for a 2200 sqft house 80 acres and a mobile home
Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
i just spent short of a week in the Baltimore, md area and i cant for the life of me believe the cost of housing there. jesus h christ. what is wrong with you people? i feel bad. i thought the cost of housing was expensive in Florida, but man.

you guys are flat out getting ripped off. and to boot, you have to deal with cold weather and lousy traffic? lol. just kiddin folks.

but really, i cant believe the cost of housing. i dont understand it. nearly all my extended family lives in that area. a cousin of mine just bought her first house (she is nearly 40). they have dual income (not the best, just blue colar stuff) and she paid 309K for a 950 sq foot 2 bed 1 bath house built in 1953 in the Pasadena, md area! she told me her house "needed work." i wont make fun of the rednecks there anymore. i cant hang!

this blows my mind. now my question to you folks that didnt grow up with a silver spoon and have to work for your money. how do you afford it? i assume not everyone makes a household income of 100K+ a year? talking the average joe. i cant imagine how much money you would have ot make to have kids and toys as well as a decent house. a decent house (based on what i saw) was in teh 500K range with a huge tax bill.

PS - hi to my glen burnie boys

sup *** I see you never called us before coming, if your scurred say your scurred for real though the **** is off the hook real estate wise here, I freakin hate it but good thing I bought my house before the big boom cuz im just a broke middle class fugger
Old 04-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Connecticut is no better, probably even wrose. I don't know how we afford it, nevermidn afford doing this car crap. I'll tell you, I live on the frugal side, that is for sure. Everythign I do, I look at the cost of it, because if I want to have $ for car stuff, I have to. Hell I'm changing jobs, going to a new place in a week, not for more $, same $ esentially, but instead of driving 21 miles one way, it's a 7.5 mile drive. I will save about 40 bucks a week in gas, and have about 1.5 hours less commute time.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luckily I got mine 6 years ago before the prices went crazy! Couldn't even qualify to buy it now...
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 AM
12 Second Club

Wait, you think housing prices in FL are bad? LOL

The price of a decent house in the NE is one thing...CHECK OUT THE TAXES!

That's why I unfortunately rent an apartment right now, I can afford a decent house but the taxes around here are ri-goddamn-diculous.

I want to move to FL but I'm to close with my family

EDIT: Oh yeah GO GATORS!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

I'm gonna have to rent forever

or move.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Other than Cali., Ma. and Ct. are probably the most expensive places to live in the whole country... WJ
Old 04-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Race your car!

I'd actually like to move to texas... if both myself and my wife could find jobs there making the same $ we are now, we'd be seriously good to go.

Going to florida with the same income, also would be more then acceptable.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

the thing is in most other expensive places in the country, the salaries are high. i noticed the salaries are not that high in that area. esp in areas like i visited. i have another cousin that just bought an upper end townhouse with a one car garage in howard county for 600k! wtf?

all i know is i will keep my 2400 sq foot 4/3/3 backed up against a lake brand new home for under 250K here in FL all day lol. hell i overpaid compared to some folks buying on short sales and foreclosures!

PPS - choppin - i went for a funeral, so it wasnt a fun trip to Glen Burnie. if it were for fun, i would have called the GB crew out also, i lived my first 6 years of my life right there on Dorsey Road (off of 97) in Glen Burnie, MD then moved out to severna park, md. talk about pricey, that place got real expensive!!! 800K houses there! we got smart and moved down to FL. to hell with the MD rednecks. we can deal with teh FL rednecks
Old 04-11-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'd actually like to move to texas... if both myself and my wife could find jobs there making the same $ we are now, we'd be seriously good to go.

Going to florida with the same income, also would be more then acceptable.
we actually thought about, and still are considering moving to the state of texas in a few years. lots depends on family and our job situations. texas makes florida look cheap!

also, dont forget about the lack of state income taxes in FL.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Race your car!

Yeah, the taxes down there help alot. I dunno if I could find an electronics techie type job down there for 22+ an hour, if I could, and my wife could find a paralegal job for 50+K like we're at now, I think we'd be moving probably as soon as I've paid 3 years on my mortgage so I don't get whacked with the pre-payment penalty.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Try the NY Metro Area (Westchester, Rockland, Bergen, etc) you will not believe the cost!
Old 04-11-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

CT sucks my *** with its prices and taxes. If it wasn't for my entire family being here, I'd be moving out in two seconds and am still considering it.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:42 AM
9 Second Club

Gator, Like Choppin said I bought before the house market went nuts!

The Hood aint cheap to live in these days ...

Next time stop by and I'll show you what a N20 is supposed to look like

BTW.. just talkin **** so you dont feel unloved.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

went to visit a buddy up in the Boston area towards the end of last summer and i couldnt beleive the price of homes up there. it was insane. a condo on the bay about 1000 sq ft...2 bedrooms 1 bath and the living space was a cool 1.9million...it was insane.
he said that most of the people that go to school there move out after they're done school cause they cant afford to live there.

you know its nuts when a Philadelphia Row home is going for 150k+ these days....i bought one for 85k 6 years ago and it just appraised for over 135. i probably wouldnt be able to afford it if i was to buy it today.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Race your car!

I hear that. I bought my house in 2005, and after redoing the windows, siding, doors, deck, driveway and adding a 24x24 garage, it's worth double what I bought it for. And I promise, I haven't put anywhere near that the original price was into it.

The market is just stupid with the value's, I just had an assessment last year and the taxed value went up by 55%. Disgusting.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

see that is a big difference b/w fl and states up north. they only re-assess your property value if it sells. my folks bought their beautiful 2200 sq foot 3/2/2 with a big pool and lanai and big lot for 119K in 1990. he pays 1700 a year in property taxes. that house, even in our depressed housing market, is worth 300k now. other houses in the neighborhood that are comparable are paying 5k in property taxes. they cant afford to sell their house! lol
Old 04-11-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Got lucky with the housing market twice.. and also have a family member who was a real estate agent..

I'm doing it on one income, just means toys had to get cut back some now.

oh yeah, big f-u to the power company and cable company for jacking the prices.