Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Lookin for professional help to complete an Ls1/T56 swapped 89 Rx7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lookin for professional help to complete an Ls1/T56 swapped 89 Rx7?

If you know anyone with experience with this sort of thing and may be up to the task of working with me on it, or know of a shop with experience with these cars then let me know.. I just dont have the time to complete it myself. The engine/tranny is in the car and the drivetrain is connected up. I need someone to do exhaust work and more importantly the WIRING... UGHHH its driving me insane. Everything else I can handle, and have pretty much done on my own.

here is the wiring instructions for my setup. Although in my case the rx7 used to have a carbed SBC so the guy removed the main relay, so I guess I need to run some additional wires to power the ecu at "ign on" The way the car sits now it is wired so that when the key is turned on, the chassis harness gets power, all the lights/ horn work on the car, the engine just doesnt get any power.

http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/2LS18.html

I asked a member on v8rx7forum.com for help on getting it running without the main relay and he gave me this advice

the main relay is not needed. just run a wire from the start position of the ignition switch, to the small diameter stud on the starter. your harness should already have a purple wire, with a circular lug on the starter end.

then if you have run your main power cable from the battery to the alternator & starter, wired in the fuel pump, & hooked up the harness 12volt ignition-on & constant, you are good to go.

dan

Here is what I'm dealing with.

I work in car sales and the car is sitting in my parents garage an hour away so I never have time to work on it. I am taking some time off from work between the 13th and 17th of this month though to work on it. I figure I will have to tow it to a shop but if someone who knows what they are doing would like to swing by and offer a hand, I will pay them. Dont know what it would take in terms of labor to get it running, but I am sure shops are gonna stick it up my *** with a custom project like this.

I live in Mass

Last edited by sciff5; 04-06-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Already sent dez racing a PM about this.

Looking for some other recommendations.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a Dyno Shop in Sterling Mass,not sure of the name but they have LSX swappped Miata so they might be able to help
BTLFEDSS
Old 04-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feel free to give me a call ide be glad to help you finish it i have a bunch of customers doing the same swap that i help them out with.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Feel free to give me a call ide be glad to help you finish it i have a bunch of customers doing the same swap that i help them out with.
Thanks for the support.

I found a shop locally that has done 2 or 3 of these swaps and should be able to help me.. but what their timeframe is like or how much they are gonna charge, is a huge factor and still needs to be determined.

Having done the swap yourself, and obviously familiar with shop rates, how much would you charge to do the following work?

As I said previously I have power to the Chassis harness so that part has been completed. When the key is on "keyon" position the lights work in the car. From what the guy said on v8rx7forum.com I need to run a wire from the start position of the ignition to the starter (to get it running), I need to wire up the reverse lights (which supposedly only takes 2 wires) and I need the relays wired for the fuel pump and more importantly my 2 speed radiator fan.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BTLFEDSS
There is a Dyno Shop in Sterling Mass,not sure of the name but they have LSX swappped Miata so they might be able to help
BTLFEDSS
I know them, if you PM me I can give you the name. I have seen their miata LS1 swap.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I know them, if you PM me I can give you the name. I have seen their miata LS1 swap.
Pm sent
Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

replied
Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

u guys are crazy and i thought my 355 in a 81 rx7 was nuts, then my buddy out did me with a 406 in a 82 chevette, now ls1's in rx7s. im loving it
Old 04-07-2008, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

What is the world comming to.LS1's in Mazdas.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Teching In

sounds like u basicly only need to whire the always "hot" whire to the pcm , and key on "hot" to the pinks damn wish u was closer to new jersey that would be some easy $$$$ for me

with the fuel pump u can mount a relay in the rear hatch and have the pcm turn the pump off and on

there should be a iirc a black with white stripe whire near the steering column that can be used to turn the car over , ill check mine and try to get back 2u
Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by malibu2slow
sounds like u basicly only need to whire the always "hot" whire to the pcm , and key on "hot" to the pinks damn wish u was closer to new jersey that would be some easy $$$$ for me

with the fuel pump u can mount a relay in the rear hatch and have the pcm turn the pump off and on

there should be a iirc a black with white stripe whire near the steering column that can be used to turn the car over , ill check mine and try to get back 2u
I know the pcm also turns on the fans.. so I need to find the wires in the pcm that power the fans, and set up at least one relay (if not 2 if I want to use the high/low feature of the fan)
Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doesnt hinson supercars make a harness?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
doesnt hinson supercars make a harness?
yeah but I'm already half way through it, and I dont know if unwiring everything unhooking the harness and ecm and sending it off to hinson is the way to go. If I dont have the time to install it even after hinson modifys it.. I am SOL and 350$ deeper in the hole
Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM
FormerVendor

Just get the pinouts for you pcm and look up the harness instrucions danzan posted over on v8 rx7 forum.There is more than enough wiring info on a ls1 swap for rx7s on v8 rx7 forum.Just take it one step at a time.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Teching In

^^^^^^x2
Once u find the pinouts ur golden, before I started my swamp i searched and read almost every whring thread over there, sounds like your most of the way there but just need to know where to connect to the madza harness?The stock harness works fine , most of the modded harnesses are just stockers with the uneeded whires removed, labeled and made pruddy , my lt1 looks kinda rats nesty but makes for easy trouble shooting
Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Hey guys I got my first quote today. I talked to a local shop whos done a few Ls1 Rx7s and they were able to give me a quote without seeing the car. They quoted about 8-10 hours of labor, at 85/hr. How does this sound to you guys?

This was pretty much what I knew I was getting into if I give it to a shop. On the other hand they sound like the numbers they are quoting me are for a very complete job. I would doubt if I would have to do much wiring after this and the car would be ready to roll at that point.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Teching In

sounds like u have ur mind made up and have $1000 to spare ,theres always bumps in the road with swamps , I had more time than $$$$ so i just figured it out ..........
Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by malibu2slow
sounds like u have ur mind made up and have $1000 to spare ,theres always bumps in the road with swamps , I had more time than $$$$ so i just figured it out ..........
Ehh not really.. If this was a 20K-30K fd build. I think I'de have my mind made up but the whole project thus far has been 7500$ or so for both a complete crashed trans am w/23k on it for 5k and 1500for the Rx7. Heres the issue. The chassis I have now has some structural rust on it. It may degrade the chassis ridgidity to the point where after the first hard launch I may need to rip the engine/tranny out of that chassis and put it in something else. So to spend that money on a project I may need to do again within a year or so.. and having learned nothing from it.. Meens I'de just need to go through the same costly process again.

We'll see.. right now I'm feelin a good bit of anxiety over the whole thing.. Doesnt really seem to be any great options for a guy with not a lot of time. Hell if I had the time.. I'de commit myself to learning this myself and doing it myself..would be better for me in the long run. Meens I could do work on my future proejcts without having to call for help as much.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Teching In

I can help u with this , i only had 3 or so days a month to work on my car thats why it took from may-nov. to get it done , my complete lt1 swamp was done for just under $4000 thats including every penny spent, with the time u have that your taking off u should be able to take it on a test ride .I had to get the exhaust done at a shop which hurt a bit , but the advice dan gave is right on