Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Saw a rare Fbody @ Musclepalloza

Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Saw a rare Fbody @ Musclepalloza

Well JL-ws6 and I went up to the even @ LVD.

TONS of rare cars but I saw a 93-97 LT1 Fbody.

Upon further inspection and talking w/ owner. Whom is the only owner.

1997 Firebird Formula Ws.6
Hard top
Cloth int (beige)
M6
Full Ram air.
Black

Saw the RPO code and I was amazed.

For LT1 era stuff this is EXTREMELY rare, we both told the guy to stop racing it and put it in a sealed bag.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

StealthFormula has one but im not sure if its a hardtop...he has about 18k on his.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Well JL-ws6 and I went up to the even @ LVD.

TONS of rare cars but I saw a 93-97 LT1 Fbody.

Upon further inspection and talking w/ owner. Whom is the only owner.

1997 Firebird Formula Ws.6
Hard top
Cloth int (beige)
M6
Full Ram air.
Black

Saw the RPO code and I was amazed.

For LT1 era stuff this is EXTREMELY rare, we both told the guy to stop racing it and put it in a sealed bag.
Was the guy from Mass? I bought a car from a guy down near springfield in 2000 who had exactly the car your describing.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It had mass plates on it, not sure where in Mass he was from Car was amazingly clean, I don't think the guy had any idea what he even has.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
It had mass plates on it, not sure where in Mass he was from Car was amazingly clean, I don't think the guy had any idea what he even has.
Agreed.

Nice guy though. Short, darker skin, MAYBE hispanic.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Why is this so rare? (educate a non f body guy, i am dumb when it comes to this stuff)
Old 09-02-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

i am a f-body guy and i wouldnt consider this so rare, or so desirable or valuable. a 69 Trans Am belongs in a sealed bag. 70-75 Trans Ams are rare and valuable. 2nd gen formulas are rare, albiet not overly valuable. id take this car and make it into a road racer.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by BoostedLT5
Why is this so rare? (educate a non f body guy, i am dumb when it comes to this stuff)

Just a simple fact for the LT1 era, the SS or WS.6 Moniker was ONLY avalible for 2 years.

1996/1997. AND a WS.6 Formula LT1 was only avalible in 1997.

Now the LS1 era stuff on this chart seems even rarer but was offered for like 3 years and you do see the occasional Firebird Formula Ws.6 1LE car 1 of 3 blah blah due to the color.

WHat makes it a rare combo is that people who ordered this stuff basically paid extra for the WS.6 package which is considered the mainstay for the trans am and the trans am is considered the luxo barge compared to the less optioned and more svelt Formula.

EVEN in the LS1 era of 4th gens, it was near impossible to get a factory v8 firebird and be it a hard top.

http://www.marshu.com/ws6-car-gm-fir...-2000-2001.php
Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
i am a f-body guy and i wouldnt consider this so rare, or so desirable or valuable. a 69 Trans Am belongs in a sealed bag. 70-75 Trans Ams are rare and valuable. 2nd gen formulas are rare, albiet not overly valuable. id take this car and make it into a road racer.
Based on your comment and this link, I really dont think so. Your examples have become rare due to time and vehichles getting wrecked/destroyed.

http://www.nextgenparts.com/updateds...rebirdprod.asp

Given enough time, this car would be considered a collectors item. Since there were less made then the Fabled 1969 Trans Am.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Just a simple fact for the LT1 era, the SS or WS.6 Moniker was ONLY avalible for 2 years.

1996/1997. AND a WS.6 Formula LT1 was only avalible in 1997.

Now the LS1 era stuff on this chart seems even rarer but was offered for like 3 years and you do see the occasional Firebird Formula Ws.6 1LE car 1 of 3 blah blah due to the color.

WHat makes it a rare combo is that people who ordered this stuff basically paid extra for the WS.6 package which is considered the mainstay for the trans am and the trans am is considered the luxo barge compared to the less optioned and more svelt Formula.

EVEN in the LS1 era of 4th gens, it was near impossible to get a factory v8 firebird and be it a hard top.
http://www.marshu.com/ws6-car-gm-fir...-2000-2001.php
this is why i bought mine...1 of 230ish made in 3 years....couldnt pass it up.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

even if it was produced in a small amount, doesnt really make it worth so much more or turn into a collectors item. so what if there were a few hundred made. do you really think you can save this and retire on it in 20yrs? i highly doubt it. i highly doubt youd get much more money then anything else out of the same era. i see cars labled "1 of 2xx" all the time at shows and cruises. do you really think someone is going to jump and offer an extra 10 grand just because its got a rare color combo? or a hardtop? look at how few Maple Red Metallic TAs were built.....i believe a 2000 color only.....you really think THAT makes it a collectors item and should be in a plastic bag? yeah its rare....and yeah you MIGHT get a little extra money out of it if you sell it 10-20yrs from now.....but in no way is it a museum piece.

another example. a 73/4 455 SD formula in brewster green.....one of the rarest car/engine/color combos for 2nd gens. rare, unpopular, whatever you call it. how much more do you think its really worth then say a comparable 73/4 455 SD brewster green TA?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

I didnt get mine for the simple fact that its rare or with intentions of makin money off of it....i bought mine cause it was indeed a hardtop car and in a formula body style, makin it an ideal Drag/road race vehicle which it might end up retiring too eventually. im sure none of us buy these cars with the intention of makin any money off them in the future....its just not gonna happen.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

are there ANY examples of SOLD cars like this on ebay showing higher values

usually it's color that sells the car
Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
even if it was produced in a small amount, doesnt really make it worth so much more or turn into a collectors item. so what if there were a few hundred made. do you really think you can save this and retire on it in 20yrs? i highly doubt it. i highly doubt youd get much more money then anything else out of the same era. i see cars labled "1 of 2xx" all the time at shows and cruises. do you really think someone is going to jump and offer an extra 10 grand just because its got a rare color combo? or a hardtop? look at how few Maple Red Metallic TAs were built.....i believe a 2000 color only.....you really think THAT makes it a collectors item and should be in a plastic bag? yeah its rare....and yeah you MIGHT get a little extra money out of it if you sell it 10-20yrs from now.....but in no way is it a museum piece.

another example. a 73/4 455 SD formula in brewster green.....one of the rarest car/engine/color combos for 2nd gens. rare, unpopular, whatever you call it. how much more do you think its really worth then say a comparable 73/4 455 SD brewster green TA?
I think you missed the point.

I said Rare.

Meaning not commonly seen.

I said put it away.

So it wouldnt become another used up statistic that basically increased the value of all other fbodies.

The only way something becomes valuble is becuase someone is willing to pay for it. Who or you, or I to say it will or will not increase. Time will tell.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Its a pretty rare car my buddy has a hard top '97 Formula WS6 just like you described, gotta love them. Mine's not a hardtop but the t-tops are the only option that came with the car otherwise its stripped to the absolute bone. I bought it stock with 8,900 miles a year and a half ago but sort of tore into it lol. I'll never sell it so the value if it will ever be worth anything doesn't mean anything to me really.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 09-03-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

people are always amazed that my car is hardtop and also the fact that it still has leather too..nobody thinks you could get an ss without t tops. i prefer a hardtop the roof looks alot better one piece
Old 09-03-2008, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98hardtopSS
people are always amazed that my car is hardtop and also the fact that it still has leather too..nobody thinks you could get an ss without t tops. i prefer a hardtop the roof looks alot better one piece
And they can't blow off...

Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you should mention this. I have seen a white LT1 WS6 Formula in my area a few times this season. Woman driver, I waved once from my car passing in the other direction and she waved back, obviously she knew I recognized it as a unique car. Not sure if it has t-tops or not. I have also seen a green LT1 Formula (same color as mine) with a WS6 hood, but I don't remember if it had the badge on the bumper.

I <3 Formulas.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy of mine has a '97 30th Anniversary SS hardtop. That is a rare car to find since SLP only made 2 of them. Not saying it's the ultimate collector's item but will fetch a penny later in life most likely.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ SLP made alot more than two of them, they made a couple hundred of them, my bro just sold one on ebay

Search this Thread