Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Sweet! Scored a Free Tow Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sweet! Scored a Free Tow Vehicle

only about a week ago my girlfriend started talking about 4runners. Initially I thought she was crazy. (I always believe in keeping your current car unless its really not serving you well anyway) So anyway I have been thinking about building a small tow truck for my car but when I found out the v6 4Runner can tow 5000lbs something clicked in my mind. My GF wants an SUV that will get her through the winter and maybe just maybe it could tow my car to and from the track. Finally after a couple days of serious research my GF came to me and says she really wants one, so the next day I go to work and ask my boss to see what we could get one for at the auction. He goes "get one at the auction, we are trading one in right now". Wow great timing!

So I go look at the car and its pretty beat up but nothing a little paint work wont fix and I can get some good deals on paintwork. Also the car drove pretty well especially for 76k. I also knew the last guy who owned it was a rich guy in his 40s who used the car as a family car so the drivetrain prob wasnt beat on. g We taded it for 11,200 which we thought was a deal but my boss decided that he wanted to sell it to me for 13,650... nice guy huh?

Forget that beat up crap and the next day we went out and researched cars all over Ma and RI. I found 2 v6s with lower mileage for 13,990 and then I find a 03 V8 with 57K on it for 11,500. I went down there the same day they posted the car. Nada on the car is 18K+

Looked over the car and there is no paintwork anywhere, I do a car fax and the car is clean a one owner vehicle that was leased in New Hampshire. I am like this is just too good to be true, so we get it checked out at a shop. Clean bill of health. So I am like alreight lets see what we can get off on the car even though I felt kinda bad because we really stole the thing. I got him to come down another 500$ for 11k even. . I then get he a loan with half the interest she was paying before.. so even though its a much more valuable car and shes only doing a 48month loan compared to her 60 month loan (and she put 2k down on her last car and nothing on this one) on her last car her payments only went up about 40$ a month.

Car hasent even been cleaned yet. This is the way it came from the dealership. Whoever owned it before kept it pretty clean inside/out

Wild Spirit? WTF are these? They are pretty quiet on the highway and look like they're more agressive than stock

I set up the hitch tonight too and saw that this car has the towing package as well so it has a 7300lb towing capacity and has the plug built in so I can just plug and play when it comes to hooking up the trailer. I'm pumped. Will post more pics when I get it detailed and also post up what it gets for mileage after we go to the cape tomorrow. It runs great the engine/5 sp tranny is smooth and it basically feels like your driving a gx470 which is a sweet ride. The 4runner and Gx470 are pretty much the same car like camaro and trans am. I've taken it over pretty much every curb I can find (slowly of course) and we even brought it down a hill into a field. This is fun having an SUV. I've always had a lowered car so I cant do this stuff

This is almost as good as getting a new car myself except for all the bills

Last edited by sciff5; 09-03-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Old 09-04-2008, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride. i work at a Toyota Dealer...4runners are really nice and take some abuse. good find!

off topic: notice the key chain strap...."portu..." is that Portugal??
Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TNTramair
Nice ride. i work at a Toyota Dealer...4runners are really nice and take some abuse. good find!

off topic: notice the key chain strap...."portu..." is that Portugal??
You got it my GF is portuguese
Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sciff5
You got it my GF is portuguese
ahhh...so am i.....be very very carefull...

j/k
Old 09-04-2008, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TNTramair
ahhh...so am i.....be very very carefull...

If you think portuguese is bad.. shes only half portuguese the other half is Lebanese...

I call her my little terrorist cause shes a nut bag. I might have her drive my Ls1 rx7 just because the difference between my weight and hers is worth a tenth alone.

Last edited by sciff5; 09-04-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

very nice ride I like
Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sciff5
If you think portuguese is bad.. shes only half portuguese the other half is Lebanese...

I call her my little terrorist cause shes a nut bag. I might have her drive my Ls1 rx7 just because the difference between my weight and hers is worth a tenth alone.
lol...Portuguese women are great.......when they're sleepin...

thats kool that ya got a nice one though. every tenth is worth it, stick her in the driverseat and tell her to have at it.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

100% portuguese here too

Nice truck, i'm starting to look for tow vehicles now
Old 09-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not bad, I have a little 4.7 in my dodge, it will tow about 5000 with a few hundred pounds in the bed, but that's about it.

I wouldn't want to try putting 7000 lbs behind that, but that's me. An open car trailer you should be o.k. with.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Not bad, I have a little 4.7 in my dodge, it will tow about 5000 with a few hundred pounds in the bed, but that's about it.

I wouldn't want to try putting 7000 lbs behind that, but that's me. An open car trailer you should be o.k. with.
Yeah I will prob get a car dolly.. Honestly I only plan to use the trailer in worst case scenario type situations. I believe in driving your car to and from the track.. if you cant do that.. .then I dont believe its really a street car and I'm trying to build the fastest street car I can.

As long as I can fit 4 wheels in the back of the 4 runner to switch over at the track (or 2 wheels if I'm running drag radials) then I should be set.. I dont even think I'de bring a real toolbox cause if something breaks.. the car will just go right back on the trailer.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Race your car!

I used to be that way, but honestly when you get to the point that it's really fast, you will get over all that.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

I used to be that way, but honestly when you get to the point that it's really fast, you will get over all that.
Track times arent the only thing I'm concerned with. I am also going to be bringing this to AutoX events/road courses.

Regardless it still needs to be able to be driven on the street.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Race your car!

Then you really don't need a tow veichle. Thing with a "dolly" too, is that if the rear end locks up, you're kinda screwed.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Then you really don't need a tow veichle. Thing with a "dolly" too, is that if the rear end locks up, you're kinda screwed.
You can put them backwards onto the tow dolly you just need a way to secure the wheel.. kinda a PITA. I'de rather have a regular trailer too and if I can find a deal on one I'll prob just pick that up but that wont be for a while.. I'm having serious wiring issues with the RX7
Old 09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Race your car!

I'm gonna sell mine next year, brimar 18 footer open deck. ONly weigh's 1700 lbs, I can push it around the driveway alone no problem, pick the front of it up too so I can slide a board under the front leg.

Next spring keep your eyes open, I'll put it up on here for sale.