Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Got My Dynotune at RPM!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got My Dynotune at RPM!

Before I begin my post, I'd like to give a special thanks to Fran at Race Proven Motorsports in Claymont, Delaware. I contacted him on Monday and he fit me into his schedule on Thursday for a dynotune. It looks like the tune really paid off and even though it's only been 24 hours, I'm very happy with it so far. Now we'll see if I pick up any mpg's too I've been wanting to get a dynotune for a long time now. I finally got a week off from school and decided it would be a good time to get this mod done once and for all.

Information about my car is as follows:

2001 Firebird Formula A4
SLP lid (paper filter)
Fast Toys Ram Air kit
Ported throttle body w/TB bypass
QTP longtubes
Custom y-pipe w/Magnaflow 59959 cats
Corsa catback w/cutout (cutout always open)
Richmond 3.42 ring and pinion
HD aluminum driveshaft

The dyno used was a DYNOmite dyno. (Their website is here for more info about their products):

http://www.land-and-sea.com/chassis-...assis-dyno.htm

Baseline Dyno

The baseline dyno yielded 303rwhp and slightly above 300 rwtq. I don't have an exact number. It looks to be around 310-315rwtq by eying up the graph. Long story short, my car was really far off in AFR. The headers had me running pig rich, and I'm willing to bet my car went slower after the header install. It smelled like straight gasoline at idle, even with the cats. My AFR was in the 11's. I was told it was over a full point off, which I think is impressive for just bolt-ons

After the Tune

When the tune was performed, the AFR was adjusted, some timing was added, the trans shift times were decreased from 0.3sec to 0.2sec and torque management was removed from the 1-2 shift. Torque management was left active on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts in order to protect the 3-4 clutches. Line pressure was left stock.

The final numbers were 338rwhp/355rwtq. That's a solid 35rwhp gain, and by eying up the graph, a solid 35-40rwtq gain. All that from just a bolt-on dynotune. THROUGH AN AUTO! And the people on this site tend to believe you don't need a dynotune after headers Well, you technically don't for it to run safely, but look what you're leaving on the table!

Track Results

I went to the track last night for the first time since July 2007. When I was lid/catback only, I turned back to back 13.60's @ 105mph. When I added a cutout and the FTRA, I ran a 13.7 @ 106mph. My car ran a lot richer with the cutout open and I could tell it was bogging hard down low, even on stock manifolds. Since then, the headers, gears, ported TB and tune were added. For my results, my car was full weight. I still had the spare tire and jack, I still had my sub and amp and a little over a half tank of gas. My results are as follows:

Obviously, my car's on the right

So, headers, gears, a ported TB and a tune dropped about 6 tenths and gained 4 mph. My car was also running about 100 lbs heavier than my car last time I went to the track due to all the crap I had in it and my tires are not in very good shape right now, resulting in a horrible 60 foot time (plus I'm a choke artist at the Christmas tree ). I know if I could get a decent launch and drop some weight I could cut another 3 or 4 tenths off my ET. All in all, I'm pretty damn happy with the results.

And a big **** YOU to Atco Raceway in Atco, New Jersey. Typical piece of **** Atco. They raised their racing fees $2 to $15 to run the damn car and in four hours I got TWO RUNS. The place is always filthy, they only have one lane going half the time and you have to sit and watch a bunch of guys race that won't let you see their times. It takes TEN MINUTES to run all the street cars. It was 55 DEGREES. It was the PERFECT NIGHT to run at the track, and I get to do two lousy runs because you let the street bikes go four ******* times longer than the street cars, and it takes you 10 times longer to run a dozen quick 8 cars than ALL the street cars. AHHH! I always get screwed at this track
Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice man, with all extra weight and ya ran 13.0 with a 2.1 60' flat out. Imagine with it out, your in the 12's for sure. Congrats, man
Old 09-19-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Nice numbers & times. Don't feel bad about Atco, the closest track to me is $20 for street night (poor track prep) or $30 for test and tune Saturdays (better track prep). Plus it's at 600' elevation.

Find a used set of drag radials on 16s and grab yourself a 12 second timeslip.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i no how u feel about atco but ive also been there nights where i get 4-5 runs i went in march and i got 6 runs in in not much over an hour i just never looked into goin to etown nice runs man
Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Congrats on the dyno numbers. Man your trap speed is solid mid 12s at least when you get your 60s down. And unfortunatley your experience at atco does happen especially when the bikes run, they take so damn long to run them through. I have been down there alot over the past couple of years and have gone through the same crap but have had good luck this year on tues. and a couple of thurs. fridays when i got 4-5 runs with no problem. Sorry you caught a bad night, all they have to do is have separate nights for bikes and cars but they won't do that.....too much money lost. As the weather gets colder the bikes are there less, I would give it another shot in the fall I think you'll have a better chance at getting more passes in, good luck with your car.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Resident

I wouldn't mind the bikes so much if they didn't take so long and if they weren't so boring. I'm planning to go around the third weekend in October. Problem is, classes start for me, so I won't be able to make it home on a Thursday or Tuesday night. I'll have to be a Friday or Saturday night run for me, and we know how they go. I'm hoping it won't be so crowded in October and the cold will scare away the bikers and the kids.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Congratulations
I have made some good numbers through those same cat's, enough to suprise people that my car still had cat's on it..
Old 09-21-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great results!

Who's dynomite dyno was that?

Fran, did you finally get a dyno?
Old 09-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
Great results!

Who's dynomite dyno was that?

Fran, did you finally get a dyno?
It's from a place down the street from his shop. He uses the guy's dyno. Fran's dyno hasn't come in yet.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

u complain about $15?

we pay $20 at NED for street night... feel lucky bud... but awesome gains all u need is a pair of et street radials and ur well into the 12's
Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Resident

I made a really crappy overlay but it illustrates just how huge the horsepower and torque gains were all over the powerband. It's simple proof that a dynotune, even with just bolt-ons, is easily worth the cost if you don't plan on doing any mods for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
u complain about $15?

we pay $20 at NED for street night... feel lucky bud... but awesome gains all u need is a pair of et street radials and ur well into the 12's
It's all about percentages. It's $10 to watch races at Atco with a $5 extra charge to run your car. Last year, it was a $3 charge. The price nearly doubled. It wouldn't be such a big deal if the track wasn't poorly prepped and the people that worked there weren't such ********. The lines don't move. They completely screw over the street cars so the street bikes and quick 8's get to run. The prep blows. Half the time only one lane move. The guys that work there are ******. It's dirty. It's just a combination of things.

I'd happy play $20 if it was strictly street cars and I got 5 or 6 runs in. It just pisses me off that I've NEVER gotten more than 3 runs in at Atco. I've always gotten 2 runs. Once I got 3.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

it is sad cuz u do sit forever and get only a couple runs in a 5-6 hour night the bikes usually get 5 runs and the quick 8s or gambler races hav priority and usually get two runs b4 u get 1 i feel u dude
Old 09-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Resident

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so damn boring to watch. Bikes are the ultimate bore and the gamblers don't show their times so you don't even know what they're running. It's teh ghey.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea ive heard etown is alot better and u get more runs but ive never been so i just keep goin to atco ill be down tuesday
Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

I hate E-town because of how strict they are, I'm not a big fan of atco because of the amount of waiting in line you do. Cecil seems to keep things moving along well. But you can get a good amount of runs at atco if you get there by 5:30. I got there at 5pm on a friday nite and got 6 passes in before 6:30 rolled around. After that it got crowed and I waited about hour or more between runs.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
I hate E-town because of how strict they are, I'm not a big fan of atco because of the amount of waiting in line you do. Cecil seems to keep things moving along well. But you can get a good amount of runs at atco if you get there by 5:30. I got there at 5pm on a friday nite and got 6 passes in before 6:30 rolled around. After that it got crowed and I waited about hour or more between runs.
I don't know where Englishtown is. Never been there. How much do they cost? I'm not really modded enough to be strictly regulated
Old 09-22-2008, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

If you complain about atco's price forget about e-town, you'd really scream...its 25 or 30 bucks and if they give ya 3-4 runs you're lucky. As much as we complain about atco the price is still a bargain on weeknights!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Tech Resident

Good to know. Englishtown is definitely out then I'm gonna try to go back to Atco during the end of October before the track closes for the winter. Hopefully it'll be too cold for the bikers and the gamblers and quick 8's will be in the process of moving their cars into hibernation for the winter. Hopefully I can get a new personal best then.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

**** I spent 100 to go to a rental day on Friday, a ford gt lost it on the top end right at the beginning of the day while the air was good and it took them 2 hours to pick the thing up with a dustpan, and I only ended up getting 4 runs in.

That's 25 bucks a run buddy..... you're crying about nothing.