Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Moving to Tampa

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Tampa

So, I'm moving to Tampa next month. Any advice guys? I used to live in Port Charlotte, but that was almost 7 years ago. Anyone want to show us around when we get there? Any good speed shops? Places to hang out? Is there a track local? Lots of questions, and I can't wait to get there. I hate Louisiana and am so looking forward to going home.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for tampa - go check out www.need2speed.com or www.mafia-motorsports.com

they are the two main sites for tampa racing (dont go to tamparacing.com, its all rice)

we have one of the best tracks in the country in bradenton motorsports park. as for speed shops - there are lots but the closest good shop to you are precision motorsports of florida in odessa. i know of a couple of guys i would trust with my own car (they get me parts and work on my car).

i grew up in port charlotte.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, BMP is a good from 1/4 from what I've read, and I'm going to check out Lakeland 1/8th tonight. Are you moving to the city of Tampa or a suburb/umbrella city such as Brandon?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Teching In

There are several speed shops in the tampa area, United Speed World in the North Tampa area off Florida ave, Automotive Engineering in Temple Terrace on 56th St., Rev-Xtreme is down in the Bradenton/Sarasota area

There are several different car clubs in the Tampa area as well, an all F-Body club http://www.scfba.info, is one of the many clubs.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
for tampa - go check out
they are the two main sites for tampa racing (dont go to tamparacing.com, its all rice)

Thanks for that advice. I was about to join, even though their gm forum wasn't that busy, and I couldn't find a domestic shop in the list they had.

What year did you graduate?
Old 01-17-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

1995 charlotte high school

some of the fastest ls1 cars in FL are on need2speed
Old 01-26-2009, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys. Two more questions. Are there any good bars in the area? I'm sure there are, but it's easier if any locals can tell me about some good places to chill and have a beer.

The second question is from my wife. She has some tattoos and piercings, and wants to know if there are any places that wouldn't have any problems employing her, or would benefit from her creativity. She's a cosmetologist, but from what she's heard from her friends that moved to Florida, it's going to take quite a while to get her license there.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

there are a million bars in Tampa. gotta tell us what scene you rae looking for and what area you are going to live in. general places are Channelside, Ybor City and SoHo/Hyde Park. all completely different. there are also great places to drink/eat at that are not 'bar districts'
Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Channelside and Ybor have tons of places to check out. They just opened a Green Iguana in Brandon, it's pretty cool. As far as shops, those other guys pretty much nailed it. Rev-xtreme, automotive engineering, and also check out anti-venom in brandon.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

cool. Well, I like to go to places that I can just chill and listen to some music, and that has a nice selection of beers. Here in Shreveport, I like to go to the Noble Savage with my wife and friends. Local live music every night, and it's owned by a chef, so the food is awesome. I also first tried Chimay there. I've heard a lot about Ybor, I've was just not old enough to go when I lived in Florida last. I'm also looking forward to taking my wife to Old Town.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Are you PCS'in here? and if so what do you do?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

I lived in Tampa for approximately 10 years before I moved over here to Orlando. I love Tampa and would move back in a heartbeat. You will have no problem finding some place to hang out. Awesome city.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black_sunshine
Are you PCS'in here? and if so what do you do?
Yep- JCSE. My AFSC is 2E271, computer networking.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
for tampa - go check out www.need2speed.com or www.mafia-motorsports.com

we have one of the best tracks in the country in bradenton motorsports park. as for speed shops - there are lots but the closest good shop to you are precision motorsports of florida in odessa. i know of a couple of guys i would trust with my own car (they get me parts and work on my car).

mafia motorsports F.T.W

Quick Reply: Moving to Tampa