Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Window Tint Troubles

Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint Troubles

On my way home (Cape Canaveral) from Orlando this morning I was pulling onto my street and noticed a cop car with flashing lights behind me. I am roughly .25 miles away from my house and getting pulled over... I figure I must have been going a little fast or maybe forgot to use my turn signal.

Nope, she pulled me over for my window tint. She said it was very serious and that the car looked sharp but it was a "TERRIBLE" problem. They came up as 15% - she said legal is 28%. I have only had the car for a total of 5 months and have had it at the police station with a cop outside to sign off on the VIN and he said nothing. She also noticed my brake light black outs (01 Z06) and said they were illegal... I hate these gray areas - I have had many cops driving behind me staring right at the covers and no problems.

She wrote me a fix it ticket - I have to have them re-tinted within 30 days and drive the car to the station for proof and pay $10 or my liscence is suspended. This is such a waste of my time, her time and my money...argghhh.... okay rant over.

So anyways - anybody know a good window tint place in the UCF or Cocoa Beach area? Thanks for any info,

Gabe
Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Launching!

just pull the tint off of the side windows go to the station and show them you took it off and then go get it retinted with the 15% again. you dont need to mess with the back window b/c it can be as dark as you want it hell you could spray paint it. LOL
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Similar story as well, got pulled over for loud stereo and ended up getting 5 citations in that stop alone. I had 7% window tint and painted tail lights. I also thought it aggravating that I drive next to officers all the time and never have an issue with anything. He issued me a fix it ticket for the lights and for the tint. I believe in the state of florida even if you are issued a fix it ticket you still have to pay the fine whether you fix it or not. If you like your painted lights I say borrow a buddys unpainted lights throw em on to show you fixed it then put yours back on. Needless to say my car still has painted lights and 7% tint. As previously stated rear tint doesnt matter just front and the windsheild cannot be tinted below that line on the glass (forgot the name of it).
Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

I've been pulled over so many times for my blacked out tail lights, I finally gave up and bought some new tail lights last week. As for the tint, whenever I see a cop I roll my windows down, and when you get pulled over roll them down. Cops just like to be able to see what's going on in the car, how many people are in there, etc. That's why they don't like tint, so I was told.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hlaalu
I've been pulled over so many times for my blacked out tail lights, I finally gave up and bought some new tail lights last week. As for the tint, whenever I see a cop I roll my windows down, and when you get pulled over roll them down. Cops just like to be able to see what's going on in the car, how many people are in there, etc. That's why they don't like tint, so I was told.
When I got pulled over my windows were already down and he asked me to roll them up so he could put his little checker on there. but I do the same when I see one.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

My tint's super dark and I've never had a problem.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Most Cops are just ****** ..
Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whiteLS1
just pull the tint off of the side windows go to the station and show them you took it off and then go get it retinted with the 15% again. you dont need to mess with the back window b/c it can be as dark as you want it hell you could spray paint it. LOL
most places charge the same price to remove as they do to retint. It would cost more to retint it than to just pay the ticket...
Old 02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

In florida you have the choice of paying the ticket or having it removed normally. My uncle got 3 tickets about a year ago for it. Each time he just paid the ticket since it cost so much to retint them. Each time he got hit for it, it was the same cop that worked right next to the hospital he worked at. He then asked the cop why he has to be such a ***** and why he has nothing better to do than harrase innocent people? After that he never had another problem out of the guy.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Choppers
In florida you have the choice of paying the ticket or having it removed normally. My uncle got 3 tickets about a year ago for it. Each time he just paid the ticket since it cost so much to retint them. Each time he got hit for it, it was the same cop that worked right next to the hospital he worked at. He then asked the cop why he has to be such a ***** and why he has nothing better to do than harrase innocent people? After that he never had another problem out of the guy.
There ya' go, find the cop that pulled you over, ask her why she's such a bitch and tell her to shove the ticket up her a$$. You'll never have to worry about it again
Old 02-11-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Its actually called harassment to be honest if they just keep pulling you over and he by the way always drove out with the windows down so he was being harassed. And they really need a reason to pull you over. Find a good lawyer friend or even go to court on it and I bet you will get off if you don't have a long report for traffic violations.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just tinted mine 5% myself and every time I see a cop close to me, I just roll em down. If I get pulled over and they tell me to roll up my windows to check my tint, I'm just going to tell them my window motors are broken and they don't go up, it might work, they cant roll them up without my permission anyway.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Then they will just look for other reasons to get a ticket out of you. Like exhaust. But by law and is the law they have to have reason to pull you over. Look at the Jimmy smith case a couple years ago.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by maverickmk
There ya' go, find the cop that pulled you over, ask her why she's such a bitch and tell her to shove the ticket up her a$$. You'll never have to worry about it again
lmao good luck on that one lol.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteLS1

I agree with this. I had to do it with my tinted windshield, took it off and later that day went and had it retinted. She was PMSing and she took it out on you.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the ideas guys. She did a terrible job at explaining what I need to do, but basically she said I had to drive to the station and pay a $10 fine once the windows are "fixed". However, on the ticket there is not any fine amount written... If I understand Choppers correctly I should be able to pay an amount to clear the citation and then try my luck from there?

As for the light covers they simply screw on so if need be I can take them off and put them right back on.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Launching!

last time i got a Fix It tint ticket and didnt fix it (just paid it) i got points on my liscence. check your area and see how they handle it. I havent goten a fix it one lately, i just pay the fee and move along. BTW>>>There is a medical exemption you can get that allows as dark a tint as you want, but it has to be for a "legit" medical issue, and signed by a doctor. someone let me know if they know w dr that i can see for the migranes i get from bright light...
Old 02-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Huh, the doctor thing is interesting - I really do get migranes from bright lights but I have not gone to a doctor about it. It's about time I go see one for the migranes anyways, damn things suck. Plus I spend about 10 hrs driving per week - 4 of which is at night on the highway so the issue may be warranted. I think I will check into this, thanks for the tip.

Gabe
Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philsblwnz28
I just tinted mine 5% myself and every time I see a cop close to me, I just roll em down. If I get pulled over and they tell me to roll up my windows to check my tint, I'm just going to tell them my window motors are broken and they don't go up, it might work, they cant roll them up without my permission anyway.
well all you have to do it intercept the power wire coming out ofthe door, wire in a swtich when you get pulled over roll them down turn the switch. "be oopes my windows dont work anymore."
Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Yea you can get a doctor(eye doctor) to fill out a form if they will and you can have them as dark as you want. i believe you get a special license plate but don't quote me on that. But yes, in Jacksonville you can pay the ticket and not get any points on your license and just move along. But you need to check your area's laws before you go pay it and there be points on your license. Hope you can luck out on this one. Best of luck. Let us know what they say.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Tint Troubles