Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

WTF!? It cost 6 Trillion Dollars to machine a LS block!!!???

Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down WTF!? It cost 6 Trillion Dollars to machine a LS block!!!???

I just got some quotes to machine my LQ4 and I about **** myself! These prices are insane if they are on par with everyone else...

I'd be willing to take my **** to another city if I can find better $$$. These prices are insanity! Fuuuuuuuck!

Here is the list:

Disassemble - $100
Hot tank: $96
Magflux: $72
Pin bearings: By Hour
Line hone: $230
Line bore: $200+
Cylinder bore w/ tq plate: $252
Fly cut: $150
Deck: $191
Assemble bottom: LB- $695 SB- $458
Balance rotating: $394
Clearance: $250

DM
Old 02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Some of the tasks are high but some are not too bad. I would shop around. Pm me if you want the number to a machine shop in Palm Beach fl.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Banned

Hell yeah Bro... PM sent!

I am from Miami so I'll make it a weekend, lol, drop the block off then go check my peeps out... That is if the $$$ are better.

I had a raw cast Bow-tie block (SBC) machined for a 383 stroker back in the day and it did not cost as much. Hell I had to had the block clearanced for the crank and still it ws cheaper.

DM
Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not ungodly high (but you should be able to do better)...

Derek
Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

I don't have the break down in front of me but between machine work balancing bearings pin fitting, blah,blah,blah ended up at at like $1800 and I feel like its some of the best money I've spent on my car
Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

IMO, I don't think those prices are bad. It depends on who is the builder. I'd pay more for a better builder, but not so much for a local yocal.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Banned

So you guys are telling me that $2700 to machine and assembly a long block (not including rings, barrings, or gaskets) is the norm... In-*******-Sane!

DM
Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
So you guys are telling me that $2700 to machine and assembly a long block (not including rings, barrings, or gaskets) is the norm... In-*******-Sane!

DM
That's why no one really does it unless they want to observe the whole process to make sure it's right. It's usually cheaper or the same price to buy a short block from a vendor and sell what ya got.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you not have tools? Is your engine that screwed up? My friends motor, so far thrust bearing went out. Looking at parts and the machine shop we are at $1k or so to get him back up and running. That is with us completely disassembling, and for reassembly the machine shop is only installing the crank/rods/pistons as I've never done that and I don't want a motor that isn't my own to be my first. So we are reinstalling the top end and cam. Its not hard. Like I said though, not a lot of damage on our end, just hot tanking the motor, a hone, new bearings and freeze plugs.

Your motor is so messed up you need a ton of work or what is the story? Why not find a decent shortblock that doesn't need all that machining and go from there? Find a shortblock that has the displacement you already want? I don't know, I bought my whole engine for $1900 shipped, oil pan to intake manifold with longtubes(granted a LT1, but it makes 353rwhp/351tq), sometimes building isn't worth the cost if you can find what you want already built and just drop that sucker in!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

when I got my old ls1 rebuilt:
line hone.........................$155
install cam bearings...........$30
assemble long block...........$225
press 8 pistons.................$40
Old 02-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by streetassasin
when I got my old ls1 rebuilt:
line hone.........................$155
install cam bearings...........$30
assemble long block...........$225
press 8 pistons.................$40
Now your talking!

I can't believe that the prices are not better, especially in this economy. It's not like it is such a diverse type of business to where they can make up lost revenue by other means; I'm sure these shop are not doing too good since engine building is not a high priority let alone people having the extra money to do anything. You would think price would be lower to pull in business. I know that in the construction field here in Jax, contractors are cutting each others throats just to make $0.50. A good time for the consumer (as long as you have the $$) bad time for business. I am not a cheap individual, hell... I had $25K invested in my 3000GT VR4, had the BEST of everything, however, times have changes and my school budget now dictates what I can and can not afford, so yeah, it is a buyers market and anyone would be a fool not to shop around, and like wise, a any shop would be a fool not to realize that.

Hell, I felt the sting of this economy as the seller, I just sold my Brand New $700 HKS EVC 5 boost controller for $320, so I'm not just talking out of my *** here, I feel it too. Other losses I've had recently - Carbon Fiber drive shaft (less 500 miles) Paid $1300 Sold $500 / Turbos (less 500 miles) Paid $2300 Sold $900. That is just the tip of it all, so yeah times suck!

Anyways, sorry to rant, lol, please keep posting referrals for me to call, thanks guys!

DM
Old 02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Teching In

rob lizzy at central fl machine. kinda far from you but he is the best around, tanked, turned the crank, bored the block, freeze plugs, cambearings, and Assembly on my 455 pontiac for less than 900
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by enzostuk
rob lizzy at central fl machine. kinda far from you but he is the best around, tanked, turned the crank, bored the block, freeze plugs, cambearings, and Assembly on my 455 pontiac for less than 900
Mmmmm 455.... Old Skool Muskill

Yeah, $900 is a good price; this $230 to line hone and $250 to cylinder bore is crazy!

DM
Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 AM
FormerVendor

Robert up here at CFM&S is good as mentioned and you also have CRE here in Orlando.

Down that way you may want to look into the machine shop at Mustang Specialties on Dixie in Ft Lauderdale. Ronnie runs that shop and is doing more and more LS engines. Would not hurt to check it out and tell him I sent you that way.

Most importantly, do not just shop by price. Get as many referals as possible on the less expensive guys because it could cost you more in the long run. This is one area to not be cheap in at all. Do not get taken adantage of by any means, but be careful.

Mike Norris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTF!? It cost 6 Trillion Dollars to machine a LS block!!!???