Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Speed World or Bradenton track is better

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed World or Bradenton track is better

Since I'm new to C. FLA and just got my car running again after a few upgrades, I see there a couple tracks. I can tell Orlando Speed World is much closer but is speed world a stickler for rules? I've run in the 10.90s at PBIR with DRs but I don't have a cage etc. I have a pure street car, I would have a helmet.

I was thinking of going Friday just to look around.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:33 AM
TECH Addict

Bradenton.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a test and tune night OSW doesn't seem to be as worried about rules, but Bradenton is known for better track prep over OSW.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bradenton and PBIR are the two best ones around from what I have heard. I have not been to either but friends of mine have and they always say those two tracks are worth the drive if you have the time. I usually go to Speedworld as well because it is closer. I have never really been hassled on the TnT nights though as for I have no cage either.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

bradenton for sure with track prep and Ive never seen any tech at all.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Launching!

I've always heard that Bradenton was better, and Speed world's nick name is spin world, and speed world's tech on a test n tune night is you fill out a card and they write your number on your car.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 PM
7 Second Club

Bradenton is a better hooking track. As far as tech goes, I'll leave that one alone.

Derek
Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

I'm in Winter Garden so what's the drive like to Bradenton? It used to take 1hr to get to PBIR from my house in Ft. Laud. It looks like its about that or more.

For those of us older guys, Moroso AKA PBIR now used to have little to no prep. Now that it looks better, they now hook too.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

From WG, the drive is atleast 1:30 mins.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

I didn't think of this before, what about Gainsville? That can't be much farther that Bardenton? It's about what 80 miles tops?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Teching In

I haven't run at Gainesville on a test & tune night but since the track is owned by NHRA, I would think they watch the tech aspects pretty close.

... Larry S.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

You won't be able to hit 10's without a cage at gville. And as of late the track prep has been horrible. But word is they fired the old prep guy and have someone new there. Gville will be almost a 2 hour drive for you
Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RyanSws6
I'm in Winter Garden so what's the drive like to Bradenton? It used to take 1hr to get to PBIR from my house in Ft. Laud. It looks like its about that or more.

For those of us older guys, Moroso AKA PBIR now used to have little to no prep. Now that it looks better, they now hook too.
I'm in Winter Garden too welcome to the area. Make sure you go to the car show downtown every 3rd Saturday of the month. I've met some good guys down there.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Gainesville is probably the strictest track in FL.... I'm still worried that if I go to run up there they will laugh at my homemade battery hold down made out of zipties.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Jhayes, cool, thanks for that tip. My wife and I took the TA for her first ride in it since the new mods and we just happened to go to that Thai place. We couldn't get in since it was all blocked off with cars. I had a smile from ear to ear. I did see a clean blue Z28 LT1 and a bunch of stangs. Do I just show up and park? That would mean this Sat...

I figured Gainsville would be strict. Rather ask. Zip ties...funny.

I had the usual crack on the hold down tray and went to the mile marker event. They said it wasn't good enough and gave me a bungie cord..I thought that was funny.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Teching In

I haven't been to the Thai place but I can tell you the pizza company is great. If you want to get in the show I'll PM you the phone number and name so you can find out I haven't tried to be in it just because my car isn't in the best of shape for that. But hopefully I will see you down there this saturday.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 PM
7 Second Club

I know I'll be in the minority here, but what would you rather have next to you going over 100 mph? A car with the right safety equipment that passes a good inspection, or a "sure it'll be good" response? It's only your life.....

On Gainesville's prep, as you said Brian they fired the last facility manager and the new one has been doing quite a good job. He takes time to talk to the racers and asks how the track is working for them. Jason was there this past weekend on an open comp / 1/4-mile TNT and was transbraking on his drag radials to low 1.4x 60 foots all night with only a touch of chatter on one of his 9 runs.

Derek
Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Derek, I agree with you. Thing is it used to be that getting a true street car into the 10s was a tough task. With the great advances in these engines, making a 600hp n/a 400+ci isn't hard anymore. Point is many street cars have hp to get into the 10s and anyone with a decent brain won't street race, yet like me I don't want to hack up my int for a cage. Some of us are in the middle.

I've also gotten into the mile runs, you get a chance to run through the gears.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Having worked at Orlando Speed World AND Gainesville Raceway, I can give you a little advice.

OSW is a fine facility, and the staff are good people. On Saturday bracket racing nights, the track hooks great and you'll find plenty of other people to race with. Also, it's the summertime, and people don't like to race in the heat, so the STC Stripgrip they use works nicely, and they're a bit less busy, so you can get a couple more passes.

There is a downside to OSW...... it's the quality of the people there. Some people bring in these pieces of **** and they end up causing oil down after oil down after oil down, which means at some points you'll only get 1 run. The good news is that tech has gotten a bit better, and they are worth something more than "It's got four wheels.,,,have at it". Since you're in Winter Garden, OSW is MUCH closer compared to Gainesville AND Bradenton.

Wednesday and Friday nights is pretty much street legal drag racing. Head over to lanes 1 and 2 and get behind a slick tire car... you'll hook just fine. Lanes 3-6 are all doucheboats who will end up ******* up the track.

Gainesville is a FANTASTIC track to race at. The staff is nice, the quality of the tech inspection is better and the quality of the racers is a LOT better. Sure, it's more expensive, but you get what you pay for. And in the summertime, it's almost dead there. Get 6 passes a night no sweat (if you show up when the gates open).

Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks SS...that is complete logic. One day I'll go to Gainsville, as I can imagine high $$ rides must go there. For a guy like me 2-4 trips a year is all I'd do at a track. Besides I build my car for me and its no race car and there is always someone faster.So bottom line the chance I get to FEEL HP without worries of blue lights is great.

Quick Reply: Speed World or Bradenton track is better