Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Help with scan codes PO121, and PO443

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with scan codes PO121, and PO443

I did a search on these codes with not much success, as I did not find an answer even though 4 threads came up. All I found basically were threads telling me what they were and how to diagnose them but not what they could possibly be.Ran a OBDII scan tool on my car last night and code PO121, and PO443 came up. I know PO443 is for the Evap emission control purge valve, but how do you go about correcting this? After I delete them they pop back up instantly.
The air pump and egr are not hooked up and havent been since I did the heads and cam but the car was tuned and they were deleted when the computer was reprogramed and that was over 4 years ago and I havent had issues with it since. What would be causing this?
I know the other code is for the TPS sensor which I have replaced several times but it just keeps throwing the same code, this one has been coming up ever since it was reprogramed???
Thanks for any help guys!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go buy Haynes Techbook "OBD II & electronic Engine Management Systems" and it will outline diagnostic procedures for trouble codes. If you need to identify the equipment you may need a vehicle specific book.

If you keep replacing the TPS sensor it may not be the problem.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Launching!

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have because I just don't know what would cause the evap code all of a sudden?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this link there is tons of info and even possible solutions.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

And here is the links to your codes.

PO443.http://www.obd-codes.com/p0443

PO121. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0121
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What throttle body do you have on the car? Its possible that the TPS voltage is too low when fully closed or too high when fully open. The way to check the voltages would be to back probe the appropriate wires at the tps and observe the voltage. There are a few threads on here that describe how to do this in the "bump stop" mod on the Stock TB's, some people will grind down the stop too far causing too high of voltage. Could also be a wire grounding out somewhere for the tps. Check the harness.

p0443 is Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit.
The purge valve is on the driverside of the intake.

Check the connector on the purge valve.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
What throttle body do you have on the car? Its possible that the TPS voltage is too low when fully closed or too high when fully open. The way to check the voltages would be to back probe the appropriate wires at the tps and observe the voltage. There are a few threads on here that describe how to do this in the "bump stop" mod on the Stock TB's, some people will grind down the stop too far causing too high of voltage. Could also be a wire grounding out somewhere for the tps. Check the harness.

p0443 is Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit.
The purge valve is on the driverside of the intake.

Check the connector on the purge valve.
I have the stock TB but I did try tohand port it, I am pretty sure I didnt do such a great job on it and now I wonder if I just messed it up when I did that and that is why I am having that trouble? Would I need to replace the throttle body, or is there another way to correct that?
As for the purge valve the connection is tight to the cannister (know that I know what it is lol) however I never cut the existing line to mate with a tube to go on the pipe fitting coming out of the Weiand manifold I have. I just stuck the stock connector on it and although very stupid and lazy it help up to this point. So maybe all I need to do it cut that piece off and run a hose to it?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Post a pic of what you are talking about as far as the purge valve is concerned. The code is for a circuit problem. The electrical connector on the back is plugged in right?

As far as the TB I would check the voltages of the tps as fully closed and at wide open. If you ground down the bump stop too far you may have too much voltage at WOT. You could correct it with putting a screw in the bump stop so you can adjust how far the TB opens at WOT. I have a Stock TB laying around if you want a new one. I could port it and sell it to you if you are interested. I'll send you pics of the one I did thats on my car.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Yea I would be interested, send me pics and let me know a price.
I am not sure of how to upload pictures?.. I can always take one with my phone and email it to you if that would work?....
So do I have to take the throttle body off to check that?.. Not sure how to check it, would I just use a voltahe meter to check that? Excuse the dumb questions, although I did build my motor I am failry clueless when it comes to anything electrical.
Thank you for all of your help It is appreciated
Old 08-17-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd do 100 + shipping or pickup.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Launching!

That looks a lot better than my attempt at porting LOL. I think that might be the route I choose to go, it might be a week or two before I can do it though. What town are you in If I would rather pick it up?..
I will try and email you a pic of what mine looks like, as well as the evap and what I was talking about.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Found what the Evap code was from, are you ready because this is how stupid I am LOL. I didn't have the wire pluged into the canister, I guess when I took everything apart to polish the manifold and valve covers I left a few things un buttoned. Well at least one of them is taken care of, next step a new throttle body.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DOH! Well good you got it sorted out. I live near Ft Lauderdale.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Yea one down one to go LOL. Thats about what, a 4hr drive? what would it be to ship?... probably less then my explorer would eat in gas LOL
Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigken
Yea one down one to go LOL. Thats about what, a 4hr drive? what would it be to ship?... probably less then my explorer would eat in gas LOL
tell you what, I'd do it for 100$ shipped. No worries. I'll port it this weekend and take some pics of that one for you.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Launching!

You know, I'm wondering that since I now know what the bump stop actually is I never touched it when I tried p&p the tb. The throttle body has always opened just past parellel ever since I put on the weiand manifold. There has also always been some slack in the cable so I wonder if it needs a spacer between the tb and manifold. I also noticed that the bolt sticks far outside the bolt hole onto the egr. I have been trying to find people with this manifold to see if they have had similar issues?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You shouldnt need a spacer for the TB. You would only need one if the TB was a different bolt pattern than the manifold. Read this thread as far as checking the voltage on the TPS. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-install.html
Do you have a stock throttle body? It should open almost parallel but not all the way or past parallel unless someone has already done a bumpstop mod on it.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Launching!

I printed that thread out and I am going to give it a try this saturday. It doesn't look like it was ever messed with, I just thought it might be an option since the cable has some slack and the bolt comes through pretty far. Either way I am going to use that thread to check the voltage and see what happens, I will keep you posted.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help with scan codes PO121, and PO443