Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Be careful out there folks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Be careful out there folks.

Do not wish to sound as a hypocrite as I streetraced myself many times, but not since 1995, fortunately it never came down to this.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/T...130200723.html
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's sad to hear but it always amazes me that these situations always involve a FWD car more than likely making 200whp. I just don't know how you loss control of a car like that in a straight line.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
The House is Rockin'

Sara Shulevitz, Coteron Olivas' attorney, said the teen is still shocked by the crash.
i bet he is. how do you lose control of a civic with 4 people inside, with just a sewer pipe exhaust, and a tornado in the intake?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a similar situation right near my house. Young kid driving a Civic racing a guy in a Camaro, lost control, the Camaro hit a telephone pole and the Civic ran over a kid riding his bike. Left the scene... they found him later and threw the book at him.

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN
i bet he is. how do you lose control of a civic with 4 people inside, with just a sewer pipe exhaust, and a tornado in the intake?
You don't remember being 17 and invincible? A Geo Metro could be a deadly weapon in the hands of a young male driver.

Originally Posted by thecamarokid
That's sad to hear but it always amazes me that these situations always involve a FWD car more than likely making 200whp. I just don't know how you loss control of a car like that in a straight line.
You have to remember... kids don't have (and can't afford) Camaros, Firebirds, Novas and Chevelles like the 30/40-somethings reading this post grew up with. Honda Civics and Acura Integras have replaced them.

It's sad, but I hope they throw this kid in a deep dark hole. Kids need to see concrete examples of what can happen if they're not responsible. Parents sure aren't instilling them with respect or responsibility. Unfortunately that leaves the the law do the job. So tragic. He had his entire life ahead of him, gone in a flash because he was showing off to his friends with a ******* Honda POS.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

You have to remember... kids don't have (and can't afford) Camaros, Firebirds, Novas and Chevelles like the 30/40-somethings reading this post grew up with. Honda Civics and Acura Integras have replaced them.
I bought my Camaro when I was 17. I did some stupid stuff in the car because I was young but I always respected the car and the situation. By the grace of God I never did anything to hurt myself or anyone else. I think it has a lot to do with what you said before, feeling invincible. That's when people really mess up.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

I can’t remember EVER street racing with one more person in the car much less 3 more even at the age of 17. These kids today are stupid but then again when I was 17 (back in the early 90s) I had a 1967 camaro with 450hp and at 17 with a car like that would get away from you fast so you knew the danger. In one of these 150-200hp car today you fell insensible because they don’t know what it feels like to have the rear-end come around in front of you to say HI!

Last edited by 2camaros6702; 09-21-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Teching In

been there lol
Old 09-21-2011, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

I got away with one a LONG time ago. God was my CO-pilot but anyone could've pulled out on us at any time. 120+ down a busy street called bird road about 10pm in S.FL in 93. With some mods&gears that Camaro LT1 felt great. Got tired of the neighbor and his 5.0, so I got him one night. I won but later that night I started thinking of what could've happened. A week later I traded the car for a 94 black firebird vert v6. Yeah and 6mos after I was back in a Z28. What an idiot! All that money wasted on my conscious. I've been safe since. Wait does spirited driving count?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah I tend to play it a little more safe now. had a close call when I was 17. driving my dad's 78 trans am with a built big block olds, racing a bike (gixxer 600) through a very narrow and central street (downtown south fl avenue for the locals). we were side by side and doing about 90 when a car pulled out of a gas station infront of the bike. I had to slam on the brakes and get into the middle turn lane to let the bike get over. he barely kept it together and got around the car. after that the realities of just what can happen really set in. so now I stick to more legal forms of motorsports, or at least some more desolate roads but to see how some of these kids drive int heir hondas now is just plain ridiculous. especially if you see the ones in orlando on a saturday night around OBT. CRAZY stuff, and really dumb. I cruised around out there in my t/a one night, but never again. car almost got hit several times just cruising through parking lots
Old 09-21-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im 22 now. bought a 70 chevelle from junkyard when i was 15..help from father..but paid him back.. over the years ,i have done some stupid stuff. but never when another vehical is around or other people.. People should kno the limits of there cars.. Some friends talked me into riding in a gay *** honda civie..i declined at first.. so i got in after they bugged me long enough.. 6 kids in a hatchbach. he was acting stupid around curves cause he car sucked..so that all it had.. i slammed my setbelt on... we told him to slow down..etc.. pull over.. next curve we hit ,lost control.. hit a telophone poll and someones concrete drive way..crushed both ankles, and two lower vertibra.. was out for awhile.. ... there parents jus didnt bring them up right i guess.. .. Im now working on l92 boosted motor for the chevelle.. and have lots of respect for the power its going to make.. some kids are just dumb...
Old 09-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by thecamarokid
I dont understand it either...must of been racing in traffic...noobs
Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another one:
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/T...175067851.html
Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Teching In

I guess this is the reason I don't see many of our cars here. All I see is civics they always try to race cause they got a hatch and a turbo they think they're fast with 250hp lol. The ricers here are a big problem and I see the cops harass the **** out of them. I respect my car I've always had a v8 since I was old enough to drive. First car was a s10 with a small block 427 with a 750 double pumper and th350. I drive spirited every now and then but it's nothing reckless compared to these clowns. Ever since they shut down drag racing at cfrc it's been crazy. Also I'm new here just wondering where the hang outs are just retired a yr ago from the marines and wondering where you guys are. I'm in the Orlando area
Old 10-21-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

done my share of street racing when younger(guilty as charged),even sprayed a B&W with gravel in Dania Bch when making a U turn (yea I got a big ticket for that one)
But it was always on a deserted road and late at night.
These idiots that think they will always be in control are naive. I almost kissed the guard rail at OSW and went across the entire tower lane to do it. scary.... slicks and coolant the catch can didnt contain are a deadly combo.Even stupider was it was a bye run......

Last edited by toplessHO; 10-21-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i admit to street racing but i dont do it on city streets. highways and interstates fall victim to my mayhem. this kid didnt care what he was doin and was just trying to show off.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Well im aginst it all together.The worst wreck i worked when i was in towing and recovery was when a guy pulled out of his driveway to go to work and got t-boned by a nova.This was on a country road at 2:am both rwd cars.So it's not always the fwd guy's.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Launching!

If you've ever street raced, you're pretty lucky to be alive. It doesn't really matter what car it is or if it was the 60's, 70's or today. I was in a bad street wreck with a new 1985 Z-28 and we were lucky to walk away unharmed (car was demolished).
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Only ever have raced on highway. Always at the speed limit in the city. I got the WS6 when I was 17 (19 now) have always respected it. I just laugh when kids like that try to race me in city streets.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

The second you don't respect your power is when you lose it. I've street raced, but by 60 my point is made and I'm back to the speed limit.

If someone really wants to be an idiot and go further, I say let's go to the track. They all answer who the hell wants to drive an hour to race. My life I guess is more important then there's.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Thebeast916
The second you don't respect your power is when you lose it. I've street raced, but by 60 my point is made and I'm back to the speed limit.

If someone really wants to be an idiot and go further, I say let's go to the track. They all answer who the hell wants to drive an hour to race. My life I guess is more important then there's.
Cmon beast...dont lie.

Both you and I hit well over 120 MPH on Commercial that day...

Stupid, but fun.

When it's your time, it's your time. These things are going to happen.

I certainly do not promote street racing, but we're all guilty of it.

Quick Reply: Be careful out there folks.