Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Dragstrip in Jacksonville?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragstrip in Jacksonville?

Has anyone heard "TALK" of trying to get IHRA use of one of the runways at Cecil Airport? It would be great if it works out. I heard it from one of the other fathers at my sons Boy Scout meeting.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

That would be nice, I miss living 15 min from the track.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

i herd some talk at work the other day at work lol
Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Teching In

that would be great , but I am 5 mins from Old Jax raceway. They need something here for sure.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Teching In

i dont see that happening at cecil for security reasons. there are still federal agencies who use the air strips
Old 11-05-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is an abandoned air feild over there. And I hope this is more than talk I would be there every weekend
Old 11-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Teching In

there is no abandoned air field at cecil. the strips all tie in together in an e-w / n-s semi-cross. as i said before... there are still government agencies out there using the facility and i dont see them allowing the general public onto their tarmacs. not to mention the HUGE liability that the city would be accountable for and i dont thinks the current budget has any surplus for the needed insurance.

there is / was an air strip they used for carrier like landing and take offs in white house, but not cecil. i have been living right next to cecil for over 27 of my 50 years of life.

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/st...21517555.shtml
Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

And I am military with access to the base. There are other parts of that base that are abandoned and there not located there. There is an abandoned section off new world that has munitions bunkers and abandoned structures. Plenty of space over there for a strip and required buildings. I've been through this area trust me it's there. I get it you've lived for 50 years but you can always learn something new
Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

And I know personally one air strip at Cecil has in fact been used for public drag racing in the past. Tho it has not seen action in some time; it still used to happen before
Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Any track in jax would be a bonus for all!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usnfenix
And I am military with access to the base. There are other parts of that base that are abandoned and there not located there. There is an abandoned section off new world that has munitions bunkers and abandoned structures. Plenty of space over there for a strip and required buildings. I've been through this area trust me it's there. I get it you've lived for 50 years but you can always learn something new
a... ex-military here and thanks for your continued service.

b... the op stated that the runways were to be used and that was what i was commenting on. not retired bunkers and vacated buildings.

Originally Posted by usnfenix
And I know personally one air strip at Cecil has in fact been used for public drag racing in the past. Tho it has not seen action in some time; it still used to happen before
we have be authorized to to use the white house facility that i mentioned earlier, but still i would like to know the strip at cecil that you "personally" have used for public drag racing so i can be proven wrong and shut me the hell up so i might waste my time on something better than this conversation.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fast-Boyz
a... ex-military here and thanks for your continued service.

b... the op stated that the runways were to be used and that was what i was commenting on. not retired bunkers and vacated buildings.

we have be authorized to to use the white house facility that i mentioned earlier, but still i would like to know the strip at cecil that you "personally" have used for public drag racing so i can be proven wrong and shut me the hell up so i might waste my time on something better than this conversation.

theres a video on youtube that i cant find but its from 08 or 09 on the south end of cecil field for a full day of drag racing on the air strip
Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

see dont get upset man im not the only one whos seen it. im telling you its happened. now will it happen again and for official use? probably not. which is why i brought up the abandoned side of the cecil base

Quick Reply: Dragstrip in Jacksonville?