Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Can you guys please help us out? What Cenral Florida cities to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How 'bout Homosassa, Floral City, Dade City, Groveland, Thonotosassa & Citrus Springs?

Have crossed off anything in Sumter County & are considering removing Kissimmee, but, maybe not. There are several good homes on the list located in Kissimmee.

Will look into Pinellas County.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sumter county remove from list. Kissimmee, you really need to go there and take a good, hard look. Was there a few months ago, it's a tourists ghost town now. I know I would not want to live there. My buddy lives there now and he hates it. Not what I remember growing up. Apologies to who may be there . Homes are abundant and cheeeep there for a reason.

The "how 'bout" towns you listed, I would say yes. BMR is in Thonotosassa.

Pinellas County, I would give a definite nod to. Car scene is good, track close by, money to be made, beaches are nice.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always liked Pinellas/St Pete. Good location....very close to some AWESOME beaches. Good weather year round.

My own opinion is to stay clear of Polk. Most corrupt county in the state IMO.

I live in Pasco and love it. But it is difficult to get to orlando from the western areas of Pasco.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Homosassa is a nice area too. very relaxed and down home. but not alot going on there at all, and not close to any major cities. I did some work in that area and stayed there about 3 weeks. it was great for that, but I think any longer than that i would have gone crazy lol. but there is a really cool bar there called the High Octane Saloon. i need to go back there one day
Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Im From Ocala, I have lived in Orlando, & Tampa, and always come back to Ocala. Your an hour and 15-30 to tampa, hour to orlando, hour to Daytona, and 2 to jacksonvile.. Its pretty central and i-75 and 441 runs through it. If your set on orlando Apoka is nice after the 436 split also Winter Parka area. Sanford/ lake mary will get you out of the city hussle and bussle but still close enough to enjoy it.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks again gents

A lot to consider, but, we have time. Also, contacted a local Realtor to help us find something on the water (fresh water) & out of the bad areas. Will keep our progress posted. Again, let us know if you know of any good deals.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

The reason you hear about things here in Polk is because we have a Sharif that takes no **** from no one!! There was an officer and his service dog shot and killed here a few years ago (the shooter was on the run from Tampa) they tracked him down in the woods and shot him 80 some times. When the news got a hold of that all they wanted to know is why he was shot so many times and that it was excessive force, they ask Grady Jude why they shot him 80 some times and his response was it would have been more but we ran out of bullets! Like a BOSS. You do hear a lot from here but it is because they are actually being arrested here and not running free.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

jacksonville nuff said
Old 02-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Teching In

If you want quiet and a country setting then take a look at Clermont, its in south lake county and is the ONLY place in Florida with hills. We have some great cruising roads here if your into country cruises and also have a pretty good car scene for a small town(weekly meets). It is kind of an escape from the city but within driving distance from Olando, bout 20-30 minutes west of Otown and about 40 mins from Lakeland. check it out, you might like it.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Teching In

They do have a no nonsense sheriff.

Ixnay on Thonotosassa IMO. There's nothing out there and its close enough to Tampa. Brandon has some nice areas and isn't far from downtown Tampa and is next to I-75 and not far from I-4 for easy access to anything off of those interstates.

I worked in Dade City for a summer after highschool 11 years ago to give you an idea about the extent of my knowledge about the area, lol. Lake Jovita is out there which is a very nice neighborhood on the western edge. Other than that I think its bumpkin town. No apparent easy access to other areas that I can see.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Spring Hill (well they consider where I am Hudson, oh well), Hernando County is nice, but you are looking at about 45 minutes to a hour for travel to Tampa, about 2 hours to the track in Orlando.

Clermont is fairly developed and closer to Orlando as has been mentioned. Homosassa has a large flea market if you are into those.

We have a few weekly car shows here in Hernando and are close enough to hit Tampa events. If you like 1/4 tracks then all three major ones are approx 2 hours away, OSW, Bradenton, Gainesville.

I think what really will matter is why are you moving here, retirement? Will you be seeking work? I think these are large factors to consider. If you hate traffic then I don't think you can go wrong with Citrus, Hernando, and the northern half of Pasco counties, traffic is light in all these areas, something I like about living here.

Traffic in Orlando is horrendous!

Jacksonville was recommended, I have friends up there and like the area. Honestly if I were to stay in FL I'd probably head up there, but I have no idea where life is going to take me in this next year.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

I've lived in Lecanto, Port Charlotte, and now reside in Valrico/Brandon, and commute to Macdill. I have to admit, I hate living in the Tampa area. If you want to drive down Brandon Blvd. any time during the day, it's gonna take you 20-30 minutes to go five miles because of traffic. Also, the drivers here are the biggest A-holes I've ever had to drive around. Another downside to the Valrico area, is for the most part the subdivisions were all set up like HOAs 20-30 years ago, and kind of fell to the wayside. The houses are cheap now because of that, and that brings in the undesirables. I think we're the only house on our street that hasn't been broken into, and I think that's because of my 150 pound Great Pyrenees. Also, look into property taxes here. They're off-the-wall high.

Lecanto/Crystal River/Inverness are all pretty much the same area. The mall is in Crystal River, the movie theater is in Inverness, and Lecanto is between them. Real small town, lots of rednecks, but it was a nice place to live.

I went to high school in Port Charlotte. That's probably a little too far south for you- about 90 miles south of Tampa. But when I lived there from 98-02, there wasn't much crime. Down side is that it's a retirement town. I wouldn't be surprised if they have more nursing homes than apartments. Really enjoyed living there, but I'm not sure if it's because I started driving there, but I love going back.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Stay away from pinehills 'kississimie 'saintcloud'downtown orlando'west orlando
Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Celebration is supposed to be an ideal community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration,_FL
Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

I have lived in Central Florida my entire life mainly in the Kissimmee/Orlando area. I think most of Central Florida sucks because it's geared towards making money off of tourists. If you live on the outskirts of Central Florida it's not bad but eventually you will run into another crowded city. Kissimmee sucks because of the traffic but Orlando sucks because you will get robbed in traffic.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

LS1-450, just go west my friend, just go west. LOL I guess FL is suckin all the way around.

All those hills in Clermont used to be covered with orange groves, for miles. No more. It's sucks when you have to go to Epcot and ride some dumb *** exhibit to show what was there in the 70's and 80's. Now I'm getting in a bad mood.

Last edited by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird; 02-02-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM
The House is Rockin'

ive been in beverly hills (citrus county) for 7 years now. its ok, you have to drive to ocala to do anything. and there is A LOT OF REDNECKS! but their harmless....

i would look more into ocala, if your serious about this area.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

I think the main question is what industry do you work in? I think the job market would be a main factor in finding a place to live. Somewhere out in the sticks between Orlando and Tampa probably doesn't have much work. Unless you are retiring then move to St. Pete with the rest of the old folks.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^LOL, "with the rest of the old folks." I know 24 year olds who act like they're 84 & 62 year olds who act like they're 17.

Problem we're having now is that every time we call about something that looks good, there's already an offer pending. Realtors keep the adds up 'till closing. Makes sense, but, gets frustrating to look through hundreds of properties to find one & then the one is basically gone. Will be making an offer (we are second in line) tomorrow AM. So, if the first is rejected, ours is then considered. It is possible to make offers "pending our inspection." That way we can come down, look it over, higher inspector...etc., if our offer is accepted. Will wait to say where because we don't expect to get it.

Funny thing (interesting anyway). You guys said "stay out of Kissimmee." When I looked in one area in Kissimmee, 70% of the surrounding houses were for sale. Was like, WTF, those guys were not kidding, lol.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
jacksonville nuff said
I like Jax too. Gooood memories. Off topic to Predator, you still building trannies?

Quick Reply: Can you guys please help us out? What Cenral Florida cities to avoid?