Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

URGENT!! I need everyones help PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default URGENT!! I need everyones help PLEASE!!

Alright guys I havent been around for a while, but I am reaching out to as many different avenues as possible.

For those that do not know me personally, besides cars, my other hobby is keeping and breeding pythons. Now many of you heard all the hyped up BS about Florida and the Federal ban of 4 different pythons. Well first of all that is just absurd and backed by tons of bullshit and false science.

Anyways, now the state of Illinois is trying to ban ALL species of Boas and Pythons, and not just them. There are going to be frogs, lizards, and even some small mammals i believe such as prarie dogs, ferrets, and sugar gliders. All I am asking is for everyone to take 2 minutes out of their day and sign this petition.

Have everyone you know sign it and have them pass it on. This could be a serious job killer. I make alot of income off my snakes and if I am not able to breed and sell the babies, it is going to put a SERIOUS strain on my income. As well as thousands of other breeders. Anyways, thanks for the time guys and any help would be greatly appreciated by the entire reptile community!

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop...m=friends_wall

JacobK
Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As a animal lover myself i filled it out for ya buddy good luck
Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am an animal lover, but I hate snakes. Just me. However, you may have a problem in FL. This is just one case....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529709,00.html
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz28
I am an animal lover, but I hate snakes. Just me. However, you may have a problem in FL. This is just one case....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529709,00.html
........cause dogs never kill kids
Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I remember reading that story on a different website and it stated that the guy that owned the snake had it in an aquarium with a cloth top ductaped down! I mean how stupid can you be? You duct tape a snake cage down. Idiot. I also believe from the other article that after further investigation there were NO snake bites on the child. If you put 2 and 2 together, a snake is not going to constrict until it bites, so no bite marks, equal no constriction. I am willing to bet there is some sort of foul play involved and they are using the snake to cover it up. Also like black00ssFL said. Dogs kill WAY more people then snakes do. The numbers are staggering!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a lot more to that story (as there always is when you only get a 3 paragraph news report on this type of incident). My wife is a State Attorney in that area, and I personally know the vet who stitched up that snake after being stabbed (yes it's still alive).

Just like kwik said himself he hates/fears snakes. And that hate/fear led him to completely ignore facts and reasoning. It doesn't matter that kids get killed more by dogs than by snakes, you hate/fear snakes so anything that puts them in a bad light is all that matters. I'm not personally attacking ya kwik, just using your post as an example of what fear can do. We've met before and I know you're a good guy!

This federal law was based off of "bad science" that had counter research in its face, but was passed anyways. But now it's gonna open the door for states to come in and expand on that law and ban more types of snakes.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

We have a 6 foot Florida Pine Snake at the shop....she's a beauty and people love her.

good luck!

-fellow snake lover
Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTW Jacob, have you read the proposed statute? ....they aren't banning anything.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the Florida ban has to do with what happened to that child. It does not help the image though. Dogs cause more problems for humans than these snakes you make a living on BUT, the issue is an invasive species being introduced to the wild, either by accident or on purpose. You know as well as I do, once they are a certain size they can over come anything that Florida has to offer for a meal when they're ready to eat. You know how they grow and how they reproduce. There's obviously predators here that are having to compete with the wild snakes(thousands ?) for their food if they're not eaten first. I don't think it's an assault on the industry because some people don't like snakes. I personally don't mind the snakes. I think they're pretty cool. The population in the wild is the problem and it will only get worse.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
I don't think the Florida ban has to do with what happened to that child. It does not help the image though. Dogs cause more problems for humans than these snakes you make a living on BUT, the issue is an invasive species being introduced to the wild, either by accident or on purpose. You know as well as I do, once they are a certain size they can over come anything that Florida has to offer for a meal when they're ready to eat. You know how they grow and how they reproduce. There's obviously predators here that are having to compete with the wild snakes(thousands ?) for their food if they're not eaten first. I don't think it's an assault on the industry because some people don't like snakes. I personally don't mind the snakes. I think they're pretty cool. The population in the wild is the problem and it will only get worse.
So the law was passed to stop a problem that has already occurred? If they are already in the wild and established, why do something now? DNA tests have shown that somewhere around 90% of the pythons in the everglades are traced back to two breeding locations that were hit and destroyed by hurricane Andrew in '92. The everglades is pretty much the only location in the US that can hold a breeding population of these types of snakes...and it's already happened. So what is the purpose of the law? Don't forget that this is a Federal ban, not a Florida law.

It's not so much that fear is causing this law, but it's causing people not to care because it's mistakenly thought that snakes are super dangerous pets and it's ok to ban them because of that.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

If I'm remembering right, the import of such breeds are being banned. Breeders that are licensed to do so are still allowed to breed and sell. People who want to start an operation are denied. I havn't followed the topic for a while so I very well could be off. An over whelming population of anything that is invasive causes a huge problem on maintaining the native species. Take the Lion fish down on the reef in the Keys. It's non-indigenous and it kills most any of the reef fish. Which in turn the native fish support the reef and vice versa. No fish, no plant life, no healthy reef, it dies. Remove the problem or at least control the issue. I agree the snakes are established but, there is still a need to put a damper on it.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think that's the point of those against the ban. But a damper on what? The pythons are from two locations that were destroyed by one incident. They were breeders (not importers). So what are they exactly accomplishing by this law?

BTW, playing devil's advocate here. Just asking questions to provoke thought/responses.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

I enjoy debating so, questions and information are always welcome. That's how you weed out the BS. I guess what I mean about putting a damper on it is like calling out the exterminator to spray for roaches, spiders and what ever freaks people out. It's controlling what's there. If left unchecked, they will fill your house to the roof. You'll never totally get rid of them because they will always be around outside and will return. I feel if something isn't done to contol the wild population of snakes it will turn into a bigger mess.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Captain Double Post

what the hell is a sugar glider ? lol
Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Flying squirrel.

And yup, I ignore a lot of facts on snakes. Ask my buddy I go hunting with. The last Pygmy rattler that we ran into met my 10mm sidearm.....
Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

you are right, the large snakes are banned in florida i believe. However breeders can sell outside their state or to other people with ROC permits. We are talking abot 2 different issues though. The federal python ban is an absolute ridiculous ban. There have been studies that prove these snakes can not live anywhere north the southern florida. So why should the rest of the country suffer from a Florida problem. I know there is a huge problem in florida with these snakes there is no doubt about that. The other issue I am talking about it I am from IL and they are trying to put a law into effect that these animals listed would need outrageous permits of $250 per animal per year, with $100,000 insurance on EACH animal!! It is absolutely ludicrous. Again, i am not opposed to a permit system, but $250 per animal per year is insane. You guys I am not asking that you like snakes or not, but just the fact the government is trying to take this from us now, what the hell will be next? Sorry for any spelling errors or bad grammar. This was typed from my cell phone.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

I totally agree on the government over stepping once again. I'm starting to really have a problem with the Feds myself. The City of Deland is north of Orlando. The St. Johns river runs right near it. I, myself have already sent a Python (6-7ft) to "snake heaven" from a log in the river 2 summers ago. Why or how it got there? I don't know. This is way north of the Everglades. That concerns me in a bad way. Yes, the snakes cannot survive a winter in the North and the Fl problem isn't an Illinois problem. Curious as to how this will pan out for you.

Quick Reply: URGENT!! I need everyones help PLEASE!!