Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

First time racing at Snowbird Nationals (video)... and the lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First time racing at Snowbird Nationals (video)... and the lessons learned

I've been going to the Snowbird Nationals at Bradenton Motorsports Park for years and I finally have my car running properly at the same time the event was being held this year. I figure why not enter the car, enjoy the event, and see if I can win something in the process. I looked up the classes to see what my car can compete in. The car runs 7.70s on motor and 6.90s on the 150 shot. I'm too slow on the juice for the 6.50 index class and too slow on motor for the 7.50 index class. I was thinking about dropping down to a 75 shot and trying to run the 7.50 index class but I didn't have any time to even test that setup to see what it runs. I enter into the Mod ET class which is bracket racing on a sportsman tree and no electronics. The cool part was the fact there were actually two races, one on Friday and one on Sunday. (The big boys and jet cars come out on Saturday)

I just had Greg at FTI change the converter a couple weeks earlier and the car was running quicker now. So, I had to account for this when dialing in the car. I was thinking I would just run the car on motor and launch off the transbrake to catch some quick reaction times. The problem was, I'm not use to launching off the Tbrake. I need some practice and I'm sure I can become very good. I'm just not there.

My first test run I was still thinking about the Tbrake/motor route. My reaction time was pathetic and I quickly ditched that idea. The car ran 7.75 @ 89.00, 1.65 60' off the Tbrake. (Take note of the car I line up against) He runs 6.75 @ 101.04, 1.49 60'.

I only get one more test trial before the racing starts. My reaction times are quicker when I'm on the nitrous because the car reacts differently on motor vs on the bottle. (At least this is what I was convincing myself of). I figure, what the heck, the bottle is more fun anyway. Let's see what she'll run. I'm going to guess a 6.90... It was running 7.0-7.1 before the adjustments. I figure if it runs 6.95 or quicker I can at least compete, as long as I'm not sleeping at the tree. The car runs 6.906 @ 98.91 mph, 1.471 60' - footbrake. However, I was taking a nap and cut a horrible .227 reaction time. Oh boy, even if I run dead on my number, I'm going to be having a first round exit if I don't wake up real quick. You're about to see what getting treed looks like up close. The girl in the truck next to me cuts a .038 light and runs 6.811 @ 100.51. So, the truck is less than a .10 quicker but it looks a lot worse on video as she crosses the line .284 seconds ahead of me. (Yes, you will see me run it out through the 1/4, I forgot they were only giving 1/8 mile times. I'm not use to running 1/8 mile at this track. Oh well, wasted some bottle but still had fun, fug it.)

Now, it's first round of competition. It's later in the day and the temperature has increased so I have to account for that. However, the big boys have been making test hits and are laying down some nice rubber. I decide to dial in a 6.92 and hope I can cut a light this time... Remember the car from the first pass? This is the guy I end up lining up against. He's dialed in with a 6.78 so he's accounting for the weather or giving himself a cushion. (He ran 6.75 against me the first pass with a .092 reaction time). Of course, I'm back to sleeping and cut a .213 reaction time. I was given a head start and the fact that I could see we moved at nearly the same time I knew I was in trouble. I'm concentrating on shifting at the same exact rpm, watching where he's at, and looking down the track that I forget it's freaking 1/8 mile. I hear womp, womp as I get the "too soon junior" quote flash through my mind. I then see the scoreboard light up and it quickly turns into a "ah sh*t" thought... Here's the video:

After the horrible reaction time... (.213 vs .058) there was no way I was going to recover. I ran the thing out, broke out, and he still crossed the finish line .082 ahead of me. I guess I overthought the car slowing down. I should have kept the 6.90 dial in instead of 6.92. I ended up running 6.900 @ 98.98 mph, 1.46 60'. Wouldn't have mattered either way, he still beat me to the finish line running a 6.83 on a 6.78 dial in.

I decide to buy back in and see if I can redeem myself. At this point, it's later in the evening and the temp has dropped. Track is hooking and cars are flying. I decide to go with a 6.88 dial in. And guess who I end up lining up against. Yup, same guy again. Alright, that's it, I'm determined to nail the tree or redlight. You guessed it, I jumped the gun. Damn it! Now, here's what makes it worse, I redlight... and he breaks on the line. So, basically, all I had to do was Not redlight and I would have won guaranteed. And, had I made it to the next round I would have at least earned my re-buy money back if not moved on to more money. Oh well, at least I didn't break anything and I get to race again on Sunday. I also got to spectate on Saturday and had a lot of fun with friends. Here's the video of the solo redlighting pass. Ugh.

Since I already lost the race I figured I would run her out and see what she'll do. The car ran 6.874 @ 99.12, 1.45 60'. So, all in all, I still had fun and the car was running great, the driver just sucked...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Now, we're on to day two. I'm hoping for a new day and a new start on the tree. It's earlier in the morning and I figure the car should run a 6.88. However, my focus has got to be on the reaction time. I get staged, feeling good, and wham... I nail a .027 light. There we go, much better. Now, I have a little confidence that I can go out there and compete. The car runs a 6.871 @ 99.37, 1.46 60'. Sweet! Car is running dead on.

Here's a couple pictures of the run:

I cut a .027 to his .029 r/t. He ends up running 6.59 @ 102.95, 1.41 60' to my 6.87 @ 99.37, 1.46 60' Here's the video:

It's now around 11 am and the temperature is heating up, however, the track is hooking hard and cars are still flying. I decide to dial it in at a 6.90 and hopefully I'll have a little give at the end.

Here are pictures of the run:

He dials in at a 7.96 to my 6.90 so I have to spot him a little over a second head start. I'm concentrating on my light only and feel like I cut a decent reaction time. The car goes 1.44 60' so I was off to a good start and closed in quickly. I caught and passed him sooner than I was expecting and nailed the brakes before crossing the line. It was a good thing too. I scrubbed off 12 mph and ran a 6.92 on my 6.90 dial in. Whew! That was close. That was my quickest 60' and quickest 330' times so I was on a personal best run. My reaction time ended up being .091 (not that great) but it was better than his .112 reaction time.

Here's the video of the run:

So, I win round 1 and I'm super excited. Have to make sure I stay focused and ready for round 2. I still need to work on that reaction time. However, there's time between rounds while the big boys are going through eliminations. In addition, I brought my wife and my brother-in-law to enjoy the event and help me listen for the different classes since it's loud out there and hard to hear the announcer. I'm waiting around and waiting around for round 2 of my class. I finally get into my Tahoe and turn the radio on so I can listen to the announcer that way. As I'm sitting in the veh, I can see cars going down the track. Huh, those look like some of the cars I saw earlier in my class. Well, I figure it out as I see the last set of cars lining up, I jump in my car, drive over to the stages lanes to discover the round is over. Too late, I missed the show. Seriously?! WTF?!! How did I miss the call? I even brought people along just for that reason and it still didn't matter. As you can imagine, I was pissed. I said a few choice words. Then, hung my head, got back in my car, and drove back over to where I was parked. Afterwards, I talked to someone in the class and asked when they called. He said he didn't hear it, but he noticed the other cars were heading up and he did the same. Obviously, they made the call at some point because all the other cars showed up so I understand it was my fault. Doesn't make it settle any better. I'm over it now (well, almost) and can laugh about it. Will definitely have the memories, that's for sure.

So, a few lessons learned:

Don't get distracted by other racing going on
Pay attention to the cars in your class, if you see them move, go with them
Make sure to position yourself in an area you can always hear the announcer
Stay in an area where you can see the cars in the staging area

All in all, I had a great time and that's what matters in the long run. Nothing broke and I drove the car home which equals success to me.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good story man! Your car seems to be pretty solid! Very nice runs
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far are you from Gainesville?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 AM
Teching In

Nice. Sucks you didn't hear em call it. But you had fun which is what counts the most right under winning lol. Good job.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

If it had been anyone else there would be no way in hell I would have read all of that!! Glad to see you are having fun with the car Jarrod.

PS. I'm heading to Lakeland Saturday night.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94 z28 A4
How far are you from Gainesville?
It's a 2 hour drive one way to Gainesville from where I live.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2camaros6702
If it had been anyone else there would be no way in hell I would have read all of that!! Glad to see you are having fun with the car Jarrod.

PS. I'm heading to Lakeland Saturday night.
Thanks for taking the time to read Greg. Hopefully I didn't bore you.lol

I thought about the fact I was writing a ton as I was posting. Hell, I didn't even realize there was a max character count allowed (thus the reason there's two initial posts). But, I figured, some will read and enjoy reliving my pains.... others will just watch the videos and look at the pictures. Whatever suits you is fine by me....

Rumor has it someone won the fastest street car out there a couple weeks ago... You going to try to keep that car from turning into a space shuttle and blasting off towards the moon??

Quick Reply: First time racing at Snowbird Nationals (video)... and the lessons learned