Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

FL kid's first build

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FL kid's first build

Hey guys! I'm in automotive school up here in Marianna and I'm looking at buying a Nissan 240 and I wanted to know if anyone has any good advice for a sweet LS3 build. I've watched some videos for swapping it in and such, but I'm looking for someone with experience on ls3 builds. I know the engine is at 430hp stock, but I'd like to know what I can do to possibly get 700-800hp without a turbo and be able to instant tune with a chip. This is my first build and I will end up spending a lot of time and money to make it happen, so I really appreciate any knowledge that can be shared.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

you want a LS3 with 800hp without a power adder (turbo) and tune it with a chip.

sounds reasonable.....
Old 04-15-2016, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Not to be a dick. But your goals will not happen with that. "Chip/programmers" are a waste of time and money. In order for you to reach that goal you will need to bore motor upgrade to very expensive heads,crank,cam,intake and fueling system to top it off. There is a lot of money to have a n/a build over 500.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^This plus a 200+ shot to reach you goals
Old 04-17-2016, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor.j
Not to be a dick. But your goals will not happen with that. "Chip/programmers" are a waste of time and money. In order for you to reach that goal you will need to bore motor upgrade to very expensive heads,crank,cam,intake and fueling system to top it off. There is a lot of money to have a n/a build over 500.
All criticism, as long as it's constructive, is accepted! Those were just ideal conditions. I basically just want as much power as I can pull without having to turbo it. I'd rather not have the turbo lag, and I also want the car to be okay as a daily. Again, these are just ideal conditions.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Turbo lag has pretty much been gone with all the new technology. Even the rear mount turbos arent to laggy. Lots of ls guys Cars/Trucks are running a turbo with minor mods and DD them. There are cheap ways to go turbo, eBay kit and sell the turbo keep the cool/hot side and buy a legit turbo. Just do eBay, or buy used. If turbos are still not in your wheel house then 500-530 is a doable on a HCI ls3
Old 04-17-2016, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor.j
Turbo lag has pretty much been gone with all the new technology. Even the rear mount turbos arent to laggy. Lots of ls guys Cars/Trucks are running a turbo with minor mods and DD them. There are cheap ways to go turbo, eBay kit and sell the turbo keep the cool/hot side and buy a legit turbo. Just do eBay, or buy used. If turbos are still not in your wheel house then 500-530 is a doable on a HCI ls3
I watched a series of videos about an E-Rod LS3. What's the difference between a normal ls3 and the e-rod variant?
Old 04-18-2016, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

"GM now offers the clean burning E-ROD crate engine for both automatic and manual transmissions. The 430 horsepower V8 pumping out 424 lb-ft of torque is emissions compliant in all 50 states. It comes with catalytic converters, engine control module, wiring housing and much much more for $9,375."

Something you shouldn't be worried about living in FL

http://drivencarreviews.com/2010/12/...-up-their-act/
Old 04-18-2016, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

"Chips" don't do anything and are pretty much a scam. "Instant tuning" or using a programmer on a 800hp engine will result in a boom leaving you with a giant paperweight that costed thousands of dollars to build.

A a heads/cam/intake LS3 on a 300 shot will touch 800whp but I'm not sure how long it will last and it'll be a very costly nitrous set up and is harder on the stock bottom end (not sure if you plan on forging) . Turbo is the way to go. You are not going to reach that goal N/A as others have already said.

As a young student I think you'd be better off with a 5.3 or 6.0 pullout from a truck. You can build one fully forged for less than an LS3 crate engine costs. Boost it and make 800-1000whp all day long. Also keep in mind that 800hp in a 2600lb car is going to require a large amount of money to be spent on suspension and tires to get it to hook and be manageable as well as several thousand dollars more to get a transmission, clutch, driveshaft, and rear end that will take that kind of abuse. Make sure you consider all aspects before diving into it.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Ive heard also its pretty damn expensive to properly transplant an LS platform into an S-chassis. But yes, stick with a 5.3 or 6.0 build. But...and this is important......make a budget. Follow it to the last penny. *Be realistic with yourself on what it is going to be used for and how much it will be to get you there* If you get anyone from the 240 community that has done an LS swap....be friends with them. Pick their brain, join a Nissan forum and start reading. Trust me a friend of mine decided to do an SR swap after reading on what it is really needed to do a full LS swap.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cheap fast dependable
pick 2

Quick Reply: FL kid's first build