Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Thinking of moving to Miami/Southeast Florida area...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of moving to Miami/Southeast Florida area...

Hey all, I currently live in Massachusetts, and am really considering moving down to the Miami/southeast Florida area. When I was younger, I lived in WPB, and absolutely loved it. I have a Bachelor's degree in Business Administartion, as well as have management experience. Any booming industries or fields down there? I was thinking of looking at working for the government in some capacity. If I had a decent job set up down there, I'd be there already. Any help with this guys.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:56 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring money. Lots of it.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This place is nothing like it was when you may have lived here. It is overcrowded and real estate is sky high. Bring alot of money is good advice.
Look elsewhere to relocate.
I used to love going for lunch time drives to relax on my days off. Now its a friggin headache. It is worse during these winter months with all the snowbirds visiting.
Everyone wants to live in paradise, this aint it no more....
Old 12-05-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I live in West Palm. and I love it. You may want to look into the home building industry. I work for Centex Homes, they are a solid company to work for. But, as mentioned, don't expect to find what you left behind...it's changed a lot in the 10 years that I've been here.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Damn that's depressing to hear. I've been down there for trips and vacations, and yeah I could see it being more populated, but i chalked that up to people being there like me, on vacation. I jus twant to move somewhere warm, where they'll be much more to do. Up here, once winter hits, there's not much to do.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here in central Fl is still affordable. But the coast and south of Sebering is just getting out of control. bring lots of money is you move south
Old 12-07-2005, 09:10 AM
TOZ
On The Tree

Yeah again, sorry to burst your bubble, but do bring some money. It has gotten very expensive here.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

What about West palm Beach? Is it expensive there as well? I'd like to be closer to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, but if it's that expensive, I'm not so sure.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last I checked an acre of land is about 200k in palm beach county. Then you have to build a house on it. The average used home price in Broward County is approximately 400k. This is for a 40-50 year old house with approx 2000 sq.ft under the roof.
The answer to your problem is not in the Sunshine State.
Arizona I hear is also a good place to move, but getting very populated as well.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it down here. I live in Coconut Grove by the bay, have a great park nearby, and am within biking distance of some sweet beaches on Key Biscayne.

I can only afford to live here because my wife's a corporate attorney. She brings home the bacon- I spend it on car parts. It's all good.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're lucky if you can get a condo in West Palm for under $250k. And I'm not talking about a condo on the water either. Right now I'm selling single family homes in Wellington that start at well over $500k...that's 2173 square feet!!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:16 AM
10 Second Club

yea I'm down here for work and thank god I get a pretty good per diem. gas prices are about 20 cents more here than Orlando. Food is more expensive bcuz its "west palm", real estate is definitely more than Orlando. It seems like they push the hell out of condos here. Regular houses are super expensive. I think everyone who lives in south florida has to be affiliated with the drug industry here cause its not like this is New York City or something , there isn't a lot of booming industry. But its a tradeoff for the sunshine, beautiful woman and warm weather.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy just listed his 3/2/2 in Wellington for $338K

If you want the pics, I can get you the online link.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, maybe I need to find me a rich woman then

Damn, I'm just looking for a fresh start, and since I was down there when I was younger and love it there, figured it'd be a good place to go. Now I'm not so sure.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

you can still rent.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

I live about 40 minutes north of WPB in a town called Port St. Lucie and **** is not cheap here anymore either and there is nothing here. Prices of houses have tripled in the last two years and basically everything has gone up (gas,rent, houses, etc.). I'm beginning to think I live in CA. To rent a 3/2/2 in an okay neighborhood will run you about $1500.00 a month, no kidding... Like the others said bring lots of money with you... Alot of people are moving out of Florida (too expensive, hurricanes, etc.) It's your decision but think about it before you make the move. Just my .02

Originally Posted by Last of a Breed
Hmmm, maybe I need to find me a rich woman then

Damn, I'm just looking for a fresh start, and since I was down there when I was younger and love it there, figured it'd be a good place to go. Now I'm not so sure.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, GA, SC and NC are my future States to check out........as long as I can reside near a good drag strip I don't care if I ever see another palm tree again.

I hope to be out of FL and in a new home by Spring of 2007 maybe even by this time next year. I got in and bought before things sky rocketed and it's time to take my equity and buy a new house and carry very little mortgage and enjoy my time racing.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Can anyone tell me about condos down there? I've seen condos for $140-160k that look real nice in the Coconut Grove, Coral Gable areas as well as Miami. Is that true? Or am I missing something there?
Old 12-11-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Be careful that they are not condo conversions. These are all over. They are apartment complexes that are converting to condo ownership. THe plus is that they are cheap. The bad part is that their is a reason they are cheap. Apartment complexes are not built to the same codes as new condos. So, you have to be careful of the construction. They usually lure you in with new stuff like carpet and granite countertops. Personally, I stay away from them. But, it's getting to the point that these conversions are the only thing that's affordable.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

He is so right. I couldn't have said it better myself... They did that where I live too (PSL).

Originally Posted by NYSS Guy
Be careful that they are not condo conversions. These are all over. They are apartment complexes that are converting to condo ownership. THe plus is that they are cheap. The bad part is that their is a reason they are cheap. Apartment complexes are not built to the same codes as new condos. So, you have to be careful of the construction. They usually lure you in with new stuff like carpet and granite countertops. Personally, I stay away from them. But, it's getting to the point that these conversions are the only thing that's affordable.

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving to Miami/Southeast Florida area...