Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Friend hydralocked car

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Friend hydralocked engine

OK, it's not an LS1, but it is GM so I thought I'd check for recommendations.

A co-worker who lives in Clermont took his '98 Grand Prix into a local Firestone about 2 weeks ago complaining that he was losing coolant. They performed a pressure test and said there was no problem. They told him they could replace all the hoses if he wanted them to, but that they were fine. He says he has the receipt which indicates no problem found.

Fast forward to today, where his car died on the Turnpike. He was able to get back home and drive his other vehicle to work, and had Bill Seidle Chevrolet tow the car from where it died into their shop. They called a few minutes ago to advise the motor is hydralocked - new motor $5800, used $3800. The dealer has not yet disassembled the motor.

Does he have any legal recourse against Firestone? How would you handle it?

Thanks!

Last edited by JimMueller; 03-30-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So wait firestone didnt actually replace anything? They arent liable because they said everything looked fine.

you need to double check the hydrolocked diagnosis, thats the only sketchy sounding thing to me.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is that anyways? Oh yeah, I hate going to Firestone! I try and stay away from those places as much as possible.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JAMcreations
What is that anyways? Oh yeah, I hate going to Firestone! I try and stay away from those places as much as possible.

Its where you get so much water in a cylinder that it bends or breaks something in the bottom end (water doesnt compress). Its nearly impossible to do, you almost have to be trying to do it. The engine has to be moving fast enough and get enough water in a cylinder in one single stroke to fill the combustion chamber.

I think the dealer is full of ****.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

HOLY POOP!
I'm suggesting he takes it somewhere else.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by camaroextra
So wait firestone didnt actually replace anything? They arent liable because they said everything looked fine.

you need to double check the hydrolocked diagnosis, thats the only sketchy sounding thing to me.
Because they didn't find a problem they are not liable? The car was leaking coolant and Firestone effectively said there was nothing to worry about. Then 2-300 miles later the motor overheats. I feel that if Firestone had done the job properly they would have found the problem. If they had found the problem and the repair(s) were declined at the time I know they wouldn't be liable.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JAMcreations
HOLY POOP!
I'm suggesting he takes it somewhere else.
Recommendations in the Clermont area?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

I have no clue where he should take it. I'm sure someone will chime in on a good place to have the car checked. Where do you usually go for work? Maybe they will check his car out?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Because they didn't find a problem they are not liable? The car was leaking coolant and Firestone effectively said there was nothing to worry about. Then 2-300 miles later the motor overheats. I feel that if Firestone had done the job properly they would have found the problem. If they had found the problem and the repair(s) were declined at the time I know they wouldn't be liable.
They said the hoses werent leaking. They wouldn't be able to tell that water was leaking into the cylinder by looking at the hoses. you can go ahead and hire a lawyer, the judge will laugh you out of the courtroom.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

As far as proving the error, contact an attorney on the matter.
Hydrolocked...yeah my ***.
They are full of crap.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

I would say, go get the car towed to a respectable place, and tell them to give you a diagnosis. The only cases I've heard of people hydrolocking their cars is when they drive them into water. That to me is the only way to get enough water into the engine to hydrolock it.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Banned

Jim have him take it to a shop, I don't know of any reputable places because I've never taken any of my cars to a shop, but I think a tech at the dealership is just trying to make a few extra bucks by getting to do a motor swap.

It could be possible a water pocket somehow cracked/broke open in the engine and the coolant leaked into the engine that way, causing the hydralock to occur, solving the problem of coolant disappearing and the engine locking up. But that's almost impossible.

Have another shop look at it, don't tell them the dealership said it was hydralocked, and see what they say.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
Jim have him take it to a shop, I don't know of any reputable places because I've never taken any of my cars to a shop, but I think a tech at the dealership is just trying to make a few extra bucks by getting to do a motor swap.

It could be possible a water pocket somehow cracked/broke open in the engine and the coolant leaked into the engine that way, causing the hydralock to occur, solving the problem of coolant disappearing and the engine locking up. But that's almost impossible.

Have another shop look at it, don't tell them the dealership said it was hydralocked, and see what they say.
If water leaked in a crack it could also be pushed out of that same crack. Hydrolocking your car is such a remote possibility.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

It is more than likely the intake gaskets leaking. I have alot of them come in hydro locked. The 3800 is a strong engine. I would recomend pulling the plugs, spin it over to clean out the coolant and then do a compression test. If the compression is good I would replace the intake gaskets, inspect the intake closely where the EGR tube goes into the upper intake. We have been replacing the upper and lower intakes. The tube is smaller on the new intake so that it does not melt the upper intake. You should be alright. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

you can also hydrolock a motor with a bad head gasket near a water jacket. when the motor is running the compression keeps the coolant out and leaks compression into the coolant. a pressure test should have solved this problem unless all they did was turn the car on and look for leaks. i had a 2.0 mazda motor that when left sitting for a feew days would slowly leak enough coolant, 15 lbs of pressure is more than enough, into the cylinders to probably hydrolock it.

P.S. 3800 or used more is outrageous....take it to a local owned shop and have a new short block installed if this is the problem.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JimMueller
OK, it's not an LS1, but it is GM so I thought I'd check for recommendations.

A co-worker who lives in Clermont took his '98 Grand Prix into a local Firestone about 2 weeks ago complaining that he was losing coolant. They performed a pressure test and said there was no problem. They told him they could replace all the hoses if he wanted them to, but that they were fine. He says he has the receipt which indicates no problem found.

Fast forward to today, where his car died on the Turnpike. He was able to get back home and drive his other vehicle to work, and had Bill Seidle Chevrolet tow the car from where it died into their shop. They called a few minutes ago to advise the motor is hydralocked - new motor $5800, used $3800. The dealer has not yet disassembled the motor.

Does he have any legal recourse against Firestone? How would you handle it?

Thanks!

in all honest if he was driving and then bam..it stopped it would be hard not to crack a rod or hurt something big in the bottom in.

Quick Reply: Friend hydralocked car