Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Insurance on a pleasure car

Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Insurance on a pleasure car

What does everyone do for insurance if they have a F-body and then a daily driver. I tried getting insurance through Grundy and they denied it cause im only 21. So whats some other companies out there like them ive already tried Haggerty. I have state farm for the honda and house but they were gonna charge me $1000 for the SS for the year. so looking for something cheaper then that The car will be garaged soon I hope and will be a pleasure vehicle.

So looking to get insurance on my SS as a pleasure vehicle and would like it to be less then what state farm quoted me at. I am 21 so I know it may not be possible but just checking before i put it back on state farm.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSJIMMY
What does everyone do for insurance if they have a F-body and then a daily driver. I tried getting insurance through Grundy and they denied it cause im only 21. So whats some other companies out there like them ive already tried Haggerty. I have state farm for the honda and house but they were gonna charge me $1000 for the SS for the year. so looking for something cheaper then that The car will be garaged soon I hope and will be a pleasure vehicle.

So looking to get insurance on my SS as a pleasure vehicle and would like it to be less then what state farm quoted me at. I am 21 so I know it may not be possible but just checking before i put it back on state farm.

Thanks
$1000 a yr isn't bad for your age, etc. I was paying more than that hardly driving it. I droped the insurance months ago. I just have to send in the paperwork and $$$ for Grundys. $380 a yr, declared value policy.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i know $1000 isnt bad and I may do it cause its not as strict as grundy but just want the cheapest I can get.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is this grundys?...i have progressive and the ***** killing me
Old 06-21-2007, 03:12 PM
FormerVendor

Default insurance

USAA!

Its so easy, Jacob could do it..
Old 06-21-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
USAA!

Its so easy, Jacob could do it..
For USAA does someone in my family have to be from the military cause im not and neither are my parents but my grandparents are. I tried getting a online quote but they wont do it.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staringback05
Grundy is a classic/muscle car insurance and it was only going to be $260 to insure my SS for the year with a value of 16000 i think. It was going to be perfect save me alot of money but guess you gotta be 25. your car does have to be garaged and not be driven to work and all and you must show proof of a daily driver.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VSGLS1
$1000 a yr isn't bad for your age, etc. I was paying more than that hardly driving it. I droped the insurance months ago. I just have to send in the paperwork and $$$ for Grundys. $380 a yr, declared value policy.

I may have to look into this with my car. I have State Farm and its classed under 7,500 miles a year which it sees may 2,000 a year.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Does any one have any experience with Grundy's insurance? I have never heard of it before, but it seems to be a lot cheaper than I am paying now and I have a daily driver and a garage to keep the car in. I hardly ever drive mine and it sucks to pay over 1000/year for something that I hardly use.

I read their homepage online, but was just wondering about claims and if anyone has ever filed with them personally. I definetly want to be covered if anything happens. Any pro/cons with using Grundy? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2007, 09:02 AM
FormerVendor

There was a thread a few months back with a few people who have them, don't think anyone had to make a claim though. You should be able to give them a call to discuss any questions you have. I just couldn't take spending $1000+ a year for very limited use.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

I have Grundy's and I have not had to make a claim, so I can't comment on that. However, I did look it up on Better Business Bureau just a minute ago if anyone is interested.

http://www.vabbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=9006973

Oh, and I pay $314 (a year) for a stated value of $25,000. Car is garage kept, and is a pleasure vehicle only. I have a daily driver.

I had Allstate, and I was paying a little over $1100.00 a month. I have three vehicles and my home policy through them. I'm 28 and married. They wouldn't offer me anything better so I went with Grundy's. Wish I could offer you a better alternative, but I can't.

Good luck in the search.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Seconded for USAA, currently insuring an F-250, Camry, Supra, T/A and storage ins. on the ****** Jeep. Plus renters and some jewelry insurance I think we run at about 2500 a year. I'm 22, wife's 23. Been insured with them since I was 15.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you guys get with USAA they wont let me cause no military. I went to state farm today and we lowered some of my coverage on the SS and it dropped to 335 for 6 months which isn't bad. So unless something else shows up I'm just gonna add the SS back to my state farm policy at the end of July.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Launching!

I also was able to get Grundy, I know other collectors that use them and personally know a couple of agents, Grundy is a good reputable company. I have not had to experience a claim either and hope I never do. I used to live in NC and Grundy or any other collector insurance company could not write policies according to NC law (newer Camaros did not qualify). I used to pay 2400 bucks a yr now I am 600 for 45k. It is garage kept and pleasure ride. Good thing about moving to FL I was able to get this ins from Grundy and save a ton. I feel your frustration on getting low cost insurance, have you tried?

http://www.autoinsure.org/Collector-...id=TRP12894-FL
http://auto-insurance-finder.com/florida.htm

Unfornately, I do not know if you will find anything, I checked Leland, American collector, JC Taylor, AON classic, etc. They all have an age req or yrs of driving experince. Good luck in your search
Old 06-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Teching In

USAA is for military or dependents only. I don't think having your grandpa in the military would count unless he opened an account for your dad who in turn opened one for you. You may be SOL for them.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by staringback05
Progressive's charging me out the butt and my Z28 doesn't even run right now. I can't get low value insurance, my Z28 is my DD.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

I have allstate and as for my other fbodies 69 and 85 i have them threw hagerty i think it was 239 for the whole year and thats then towing me home where ever i am and that putting 30k on the 69 and 10k coverage on the 85 guaranteed to pay me that if i total either car
Old 06-23-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Get a dose of reality, kid.
Try living in S. Florida.
My entire family is insured through State Farm, and I just got my 2002 Firehawk Trans Am lowered to $1,400/yr. b/c I kicked their a$$ a few days ago over my homeowner's insurance (don't get me started on that).
I have always paid up near $2,000 a year on my F-bodies over the years (been driving F-Bodies since I was 21 and I'm not 40-whatever....). If you can get full coverage for $1,000 or less, just pay it. If you got it lowered to $600 a year, you're robbing them.
My friend in St. Cloud just turned me on to Grundy's last night and I put in an application, so am waiting for the reply next week.
They quoted $465 /yr. for $30,000 of coverage. I might raise it higher, however, seeing that Tazman SS is getting $45,000 for $600. Tazman SS, where did you come up with that number on an at least five year old Camaro??? I'm curious because I've invested enough in my Firehawk over the past six years that it's cost me $40,000, but you can't get that from anyone today to sell it and the link at Grundy's to NADA shows a high retail value for MY car of $32,000. Just curious, if you don't mind explaining.
I will be anxious to see the final info. on Grundy's b/c my Firehawk has not been a daily driver since 2003, so I do qualify for the insurance and can sure use the savings if it does indeed come out $1,000 less per year. Who couldn't???
Old 06-23-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jesus... Well, to add to the list...

I have Progressive and pay $910-930'ish for the year. I dont have the lowests amounts on everything to get it that way. If your interested in what options I actually have PM me. I think my biggest helping factors are :
- I'm 26
- no tickets since 2001
- no accidents ever
-----------------------------------------------------
Obviously if your car was paid for you could drop it to liability only and that would take a huge chunk of the cost. Only, you'd have no help for yourself if your in an accident (better hope someone hits you and you can sue the **** outa them).
-----------------------------------------------------
USAA is a military thing for the member and their dependants. Even if you were in and got out, if you didn't start an account while you were in, you might not be able to now. I did 6 years and my fiance did 4. She never started an account and has supposedly till the end of 2007 to do so if she wants to. I called in for a quote like back in 2000 and just by doing that, I'm in the system and good to go if I ever want in. She will be able to get it through me once we're married too.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

i have a declared value split policy through allstate i have the same policy on my truck and car i just have to notify them as to which i am driving.. my insurance agent is a good friend of the family and told me all companys have the ability to do this most just don;t want to.. i think adding the truck cost me an extra 78 dollars every 3 months and i'm right about 850-900 a year.. and thats for full coverage.. i don;t have to carry gap on the truck because the declared value covers either vehicle i drive.. and is greater than what i owe..

the only downside is it only insures me.. no one else driving either of my vehicles..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Insurance on a pleasure car