Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

shop for motorswap on f-body

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default shop for motorswap on f-body

got a '00 3.8L... want the old motor out, and a new one put in, I can get the motor to them.

What do you think I would be looking at for the cost... Woudl prefer someone willing to have me put a small say so in it. Started a fix on the topend as a try, but came across a snapped bolt and giving in.

Just curious on the costs I might see...

I know I could possibly do it myself... just looking into the cost/time/tools I need to get for this...
Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you want a new 3.8 or are you looking to change over to a V8?

Try talking to Jason, he's a sponsor:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=66972

He's also having a dyno day on Saturday so if you want to talk to him you could swing by and see some cool cars at the same time. Details:https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-members/789087-open-shop-dyno-day-saturday-n-e-fl.html
Old 09-26-2007, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was told that i cannot advertise on here for Mark,
because he isnt a sponser. so you have a PM.

Last edited by momacoz; 09-26-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give me a call 904-278-8800 we can help, thanks jason
Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our shop is booked solid but a few of the guys who work for me might be wiling to do it on the side. Is it a 3.8 swapping in place of a 3.8? Same year?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Whistler
Our shop is booked solid but a few of the guys who work for me might be wiling to do it on the side. Is it a 3.8 swapping in place of a 3.8? Same year?

Would be a 3.8 for 3.8L... probably the same year, still looking around. It will definitely be at least a 99-02(straight electric TB motor) Only difference that might happen, haven't researched it across the years is the connection style on the fuel rail/injectors, but I will have my 2k fuel rail and injectors to resuse if I want.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you want the old engine out in the first place?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Why do you want the old engine out in the first place?

dexcool turned into gel... killed radiator, Car stalled did not indicate overheating but coolant was low/out. Towed home. Put a radiator in, changed coolant, and oil(coming up on it anyway s) Started it up, is was misfiring. And puffing white smoke.

Coolant in oil. Compression test show head gasket is cool. I drained the coolant, started it up, the clanking got less, and went away.. Engine was still misfireing on middle cylinders on both banks, I change the plugs, one plug had cracked ceramic.

Started it, was clanking(metallic) when started it back up. Misfire was gone, after a few min... clank went away. Surprised by it? Decide, why not give the intake gasket a changed pull everything. But had a intake bolt snap flush on the head.

Under the cowl, can't get a drill in. Got it slightly to try an easy out, tip snapped off bit. Possibly back in the motor... not sure...

so... possible spun/scored bearing, possible drill bit in the motor, possible fucked from the overheating..

and as my luck has gone this far.... Figure why not just swap in a $700 motor out of a 00-02 v6 with less then half the miles my current motor has

So I figure may want ot swap the motor to get the car on the road. Just trying to see what will happen if I see what a shop would cost.

Its not that hard is all I hear its easy... just my garage is a little small, and I don't have a hoist. I don't mind spending a few bucks to save the trouble.

I drained the coolant

Quick Reply: shop for motorswap on f-body