Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

New mod for more air on intercooler, lower underhood temps. PICS inside, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New mod for more air on intercooler, lower underhood temps. PICS inside, thoughts?

Added z06 screens & matching Halltech tunnel port to the car, for looks and for more air on the intercooler and radiator.

Before:

After:

You can see some Pewter showing through behind the halltech plate. I didn't have the proper tools for the job (used an exacto knife and that plastic is thick!) and I didn't want to remove any more material for stability purposed. I think I will just buy a black paint pen from wally world and paint the showing pewter, maybe trim off a little more material.

And of course, I'm obviously going to paint the Halltech piece and not leave it black. I will probably buy pewter metallic paint in a spray can, use 2 coats of primer, 3-4 coats pewter, 1-2 coats clear rattle can. As long as the color match is better than 80% I'm fine. There's a thick enough separation all the way around the plate that it will look ok.

My only disappointment is the placement of the inter-cooler on my setup. I though it would be right up there behind the opening and would be plainly visible to the ricers at Sonic, but alas the inter-cooler is way back and up and hard to see. Oh well.

I'll post pics later when it's painted/finished up. For now I'm going ricer and driving around with unpainted body mods.

Hopefully this will help temps. Having a vented hood would really help/complement, but can't afford that right now and even if I could many other performance mods out there that would take priority.

The z06 screens installed using double sided tape. Later on I would like to bolt/screw them in from behind, but I don't want to remove the front facia myself. I'm sure they'll be fine for now.

As for the Halltech mod, it was a little more difficult, but no fault of Halltech. The stock screw location at the bottom of the plate cover SUCKS. You have to start the screws at an angle, hard to reach with a screw driver without scuffing the plate. As for the screen, I was worried about how I would attach it. To my surprise, behind the factory cover were two raised spots with a dimple perfect for a screw where the bottom edge of the screen needed to rest. 2 screws through the very bottom row of squares on the screen, and the top is held up by the plate itself. Turned out very easy. The only hard part was cutting the hole with an exacto knife, as you can tell by my ****-poor cutting job. I never seem to have the proper tools for the job on hand. But considering my overall level of clumsiness and mechanical deficiencies, as well as lack of proper tools on hand, I'm happy with how it turned out. Hopefully I will see a drop in temperatures!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 PM
FormerVendor

Hey bro,

Just my opinion, im not a fan of that halltech grill, but if it sserves a proper function then by all means go for it!

Are you more concerned with engine coolant temps or Intake air temps? If you wanted we could get together and i could log your intake temps with and without that thing and see what kind of quantifiable difference it is making.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
Hey bro,

Just my opinion, im not a fan of that halltech grill, but if it sserves a proper function then by all means go for it!

Are you more concerned with engine coolant temps or Intake air temps? If you wanted we could get together and i could log your intake temps with and without that thing and see what kind of quantifiable difference it is making.
Really with air flow on the intercooler and radiator, and I also do like the looks once it's finished and painted to match.

My intercooler is blocking 75% of the radiator. This will help compensate. My coolant temps haven't been a problem, but cooler is always better.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by will82
Really with air flow on the intercooler and radiator, and I also do like the looks once it's finished and painted to match.

My intercooler is blocking 75% of the radiator. This will help compensate. My coolant temps haven't been a problem, but cooler is always better.
What kind of coolant temps are you seeing now?

Offer stands if you want to get together sometime and log your IAT's we can do it, see how much underhood heat you really have going on in there.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
Offer stands if you want to get together sometime and log your IAT's we can do it, see how much underhood heat you really have going on in there.
Thanks, I'll take you up on that.

If this months meet is the last weekend of Oct., I won't be able to come because my folks are coming into town for a friend of the family wedding, but next month's meet or even if you come out to Sonic in the meantime we'll do that if you don't mind.

I believe my coolant temps are running around 190 or so, and get up to 205 if I really get on it for more than a few minutes.

What's really running hot for my taste is the tranny. But i think the sensor may be shot, because I'm getting wierd readings. It's getting up to 205 or more on the freeway after 20 mins., but then when I get off and back to 40-50mph its going back down into the 190s???

Isn't it usually the opposite, hotter in town and cooler at higher speed?

At any rate, its still below the danger level according to the tranny builder, but I will still get a bigger cooler and also switch to a closed loop separate from the stock cooler in the radiator. That's probably the biggest factor. I'll just wait until I get an aftermarket radiator with an oil cooler to switch it up.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks kind of like what I've done.

Quick Reply: New mod for more air on intercooler, lower underhood temps. PICS inside, thoughts?