Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

World Street Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default World Street Nationals

Has this event gone dead? Is it a lost cause going out there?

Less and less of my buddies have been attending each year and with all the rain this time I don't know if it is worth going out. I've been holding my 30.00 in my pocket (plus gas) all weekend.

Has anyone been Friday or yesterday?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i wanted to go so bad but i had a guy come to look at my car today and another lady coming to look at my truck later

oh yea and im broke lol
Old 10-28-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

It rained till 9am, then they raced about 4 cars and rained until 8pm. then they said that everyone that left wouldnt get a rain out because they raced later that night.

It is shitty. I dont know if I will be going back at 30 a person.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

They re-paved the entrance way?????

Holy **** I'm in heaven

I'm here now and it is slammed.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

I went on Saturday. They got the track dry and started racing cars around 12:30. On about the fourth or fith pass, a turbo mustang drag radial car got loose and crashed the wall about 400' out. Of course that took a while to clean up. Around 2:00 a heavy street car lost an engine on the big end. It started rainin while they were cleaning that up. We waited around for a couple of hours while they were drying the track. Just as they were finishing up, it started raining again, so we called it a day.

All in all the day sucked because of the weather. The action that we did see was certainly worth my thirty bucks. I wanted to try it again today, but I had too much crap to do at home.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

man now they have a "you paid too much" lane...lol
Old 10-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

was there Friday and saw plenty of Great action! There were delays from rain and breakdowns, but that is racing. The track spend alot of money doing needed upgrades. Everything got fresh paint, re-paved driveway, two additional staging lanes, new speaker system, and new lights among many other improvements. The weather Saturday was unfortunate, but the track has no control over that. The cost of attending the event is a bargain when you consider what you are seeing and the cost involved. A walk through the pits and opportunity to speak with the crew is worth the admission price alone. If you can't make it, watch the action live on yourway, this is a link.
http://www.yourwaynetwork.com/Live.htm
Old 10-28-2007, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Third gen tapped the wall and it had to sun shower for 15 mins.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it over, Did they run the finals on Sunday, I know that on Sat they started running around 10pm, Almost a 9 hr rain delay,
Old 10-29-2007, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

They are running today .......

I was wondering if my ticket from yesterday was any good

http://dragracingonline.com/livecove...orlando-1.html
Old 10-29-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Well, this weekend was insane. We had to dry the track about 8 times, and we worked really hard to get everything in. We did not manage to finish on Sunday, so we tried for this morning (Monday), but to no avail. A lot of the racers had left, and then it started pouring. This is the first time a Street Nationals event was rained out, and hopefully it will be the last. This weekend I clocked 50 HOURS of work, so my paycheck should be pretty fat this month.

Thanks for those who came out. Sunday was great until it rained. The last race of Sunday (where the Mustang hit the wall at the 1/8th) I responded to. I was first on the scene after a wild ride. I slammed the brakes on my cart (I was headed in the opposite direction), ran like hell to grab an extinguisher, then as I hopped the wall my radio fell out of my pocket, so as I took off my headset the extinguisher dropped out of my hands and onto the floor, so I literally fumbled it to the car. Really exciting. Anyone got a video of it?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dana. it almost always rains during the Shootout, may have squeeked by acouple of times.

The Wiesingers should have called it by 5pm on sat. the length of time for a rain delay is bullshit, I know some people that are really thinking hard about writing to NHRA about there practices, They get the feeling that it all about the $30 bucks not people seeing racing action,

And if I hear that idiot announcer mix up car brands one more time I'm gonna scream, Not to mention " Thats for all staying with us we really appreciate you haning around in the rain." and the women at the gate along with "Miss Mary Make Up" Deputy Sheriff, NEED some serious PROZAC!!!!

BUT, the track looks awsome, new lights, speakers, paint, paved areas, bleachers, and the timing clocks everything looks great! really impressed,

Just my minus $60 dollers bitch!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad I didn't go this year..first time in 4 years I didn't go out..
Old 10-29-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Well, we really tried our best to get everyone their money's worth. I personally think we busted our *** for everyone in those stands. In the transition from Saturday to Sunday, I got less than 2 hours of sleep, as well as everyone else who worked there. We really tried to utilize all of the time that we had between rainstorms, and I think we really did a good job in trying to get in as much as we did.

Just my $.02
Old 10-29-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ragingwolf51
Well, we really tried our best to get everyone their money's worth. I personally think we busted our *** for everyone in those stands. In the transition from Saturday to Sunday, I got less than 2 hours of sleep, as well as everyone else who worked there. We really tried to utilize all of the time that we had between rainstorms, and I think we really did a good job in trying to get in as much as we did.

Just my $.02

I know you guys busted your humps out there, but, When it's time to call it for a rain delay it's time to call it!, not make everyone sit around for 8+ hours, racers, crews, spectators, employees, and the like,

So, If they didn't finish today, and racers have been leaving, what happens??
Old 10-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Well, we really tried our best to get everyone their money's worth. I personally think we busted our *** for everyone in those stands. In the transition from Saturday to Sunday, I got less than 2 hours of sleep, as well as everyone else who worked there. We really tried to utilize all of the time that we had between rainstorms, and I think we really did a good job in trying to get in as much as we did.Just my $.02
I agree, and believe the Wiesinger's and staff at OSWD did an outstanding job trying to pull the event off. It was sad to see so much effort and planning go down the drain, literally, because of conditions beyond anyones control. I do believe the track will raise attendance at weekly T&T events because of improved track conditions. This would be a good time to think about adding to the monthly schedule and starting the 2008 Summit Series earlier. Thanks for the great effort making the sport more enjoyable! I almost forgot, this is a link to the weekend results http://www.dragracingonline.com/live...orlando-1.html
Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Just my $.02
You guys did a great job.I couldn't believe how many times you all
had to dry the track. Imagine having just washed/waxed the ride,
now do that 8 times in a row because of rain.
I was very impressed with the show and the changes made to
OSW.It was just a bad weather weekend,couldn't be helped.
Did I think my Saturday ticket should of been good for Sunday?
Yes!
But hey,I look at it this way,A piece of it went towards helping
a fellow LS1 guy,who worked his *** off.Thanks WOLF.
Brian
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

A+++++ to the crew....Dana thanks for your effort.

I'm still laughing at the Appliance Direct lane and the big *** AP sign on the tower..

Holy ****....

Did they do ANYTHING to the track or just cosmetic stuff?

...Entrance repaved
...Timing system converted to Fiber Optic from Copper system $$$$$$$$$$
...2 lanes added and new grandstand
...Speaker system

Last time I went to OSW was when my car broke in late July this year.
The only thing new since then is the sponsored lanes, AP sign (lol), and repaved entrance (thank god).

Did they do anything to the track surface????
Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 AM
10 & 11 Second Club

Just my $.02
I think you guys did a good job Dana, the rain really screwed things up. On Sat night .we did get things going good. The track was not good enough for the big power Pro Street cars but the 10.5 cars got down the track good Sat night. I was in the lanes at 2:30am with the other 110 Dragradial cars ready to go (it was actually kinda cool racing that late) when the Mayor said shut it down for the night.
I ended up sleeping in my truck at the track and got 4hrs of sleep. Was excited to run Sun morning , unfortunately the car only wanted to make a 300' pass. There was some great racing on Sun and then it rained again. My friends Steve and Mike both won their 2nd round races aginst 2 fast radial cars , although I was sad to see Troy Perez crash while running Steve.
The payout deal was bullshit that Carl did on Monday it pissed off alot of racers and next year will probably be alot smaller turnout from the big name race teams.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Caveman
I think you guys did a good job Dana, the rain really screwed things up. On Sat night .we did get things going good. The track was not good enough for the big power Pro Street cars but the 10.5 cars got down the track good Sat night. I was in the lanes at 2:30am with the other 110 Dragradial cars ready to go (it was actually kinda cool racing that late) when the Mayor said shut it down for the night.
I ended up sleeping in my truck at the track and got 4hrs of sleep. Was excited to run Sun morning , unfortunately the car only wanted to make a 300' pass. There was some great racing on Sun and then it rained again. My friends Steve and Mike both won their 2nd round races aginst 2 fast radial cars , although I was sad to see Troy Perez crash while running Steve.
The payout deal was bullshit that Carl did on Monday it pissed off alot of racers and next year will probably be alot smaller turnout from the big name race teams.

This is actually what I'm talking about! the racers and the customers, not wanting to come back, They told me on the phone they were going to run till 3am, I told the lady on the phone your crazy,

Remember, Night Of Fire had Pro-Mod cars at one time too, what happen to them???????

I just wish everything would have turned out better for all envolved!

Quick Reply: World Street Nationals