Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Dont incriminate yourself - Dont Talk to cops...ever!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 06:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont incriminate yourself - Dont Talk to cops...ever!

As a future law enforcement officer and graduate of the police academy I can say that if you are ever being questioned by the police follow this advice...Dont say a word. I will confirm that based on my knowledge from school that 100% of this is true and accurate. And if you dont believe me take the word of the 30 year cop in the second video. About 50 minutes total. Long but good.
This also applies in traffic stops! Dont ever admit to any infraction if you want any chance of fighting it
Saying that you were only doing 50 in a 45 is a confession even if he tickets you for 60 in the 45. You can not get off after that
I got off from my ticket two months ago because I did not confess.

Part 1- Defense Attorney and Professor James Duane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
Part 2- Officer George Bruch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQ...eature=related

"Any lawyer worth his salt will tell his client in no uncertain terms to make no statements to the police under any circumstances" -Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson

"One of the fifth amendment's basic functions is protect innocent men who maybe ensnared by ambiguous circumstances" -US Supreme Court

"Too many, even those who should be better advised, view the fifth amendment as a shelter for wrongdoers. Too readily the assume that those who invoke it are either guilty of a crime or commit purgery in claiming the privilage" -US Supreme Court

Last edited by nhraracer; 09-26-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

repost, but good info. that guy talked really fast
Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

I've always confessed, and been honest and respectful. I've been pulled over about 20 times and have gotten 2 tickets. I got pulled over doing 120 in a 45 a few months ago in the Z06 and got off this way. I too am pursuing a career in law enforcement, and everything I've heard is to make the cop feel powerful and admit your stupidity and he'll usually let you go....and it's worked for me.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MattZ28
I've always confessed, and been honest and respectful. I've been pulled over about 20 times and have gotten 2 tickets. I got pulled over doing 120 in a 45 a few months ago in the Z06 and got off this way. I too am pursuing a career in law enforcement, and everything I've heard is to make the cop feel powerful and admit your stupidity and he'll usually let you go....and it's worked for me.
Well if your guilty in a traffic stop and you dont have enough evidence to place reasonable doubt in the situation then try your best to do the above but most of the time there is a way to place reasonable doubt but it doesnt matter if you confessed
Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattZ28
Yep, this is the way I've always handled it too. I've always been straight up and honest w/ them and have always been let off w/ a warning, or at least in the worst case, caught a break on the ticket.
However, every time people try to fight, or are rude & uncooperative, the worse it is. If you're difficult with the cop, he WILL make it miserable for you.
Besides, he's just doing his job. Everyone wants to puts cops on the street, and then bitch when they get in trouble. The way I look at it- if your *** isnt speeding, your *** won't get pulled over for a speeding ticket. Don't wanna go to jail for robbing a bank?.........dont rob one. same principle.
If I think about the 100's of times I've raced people, or the 1,000's of times I've sped and didn't get caught (and a few times I did and got let off), then my average is pretty good. Afterall, every time I was pulled for speeding, even if it was a measly 5mph over, I was guilty. Does it suck? Yeah. Do I care? NO, because I understand the consequences of exceeding the speed limit. So I just take my medicine and move on with life. Just my $.02
Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Very true about keeping quiet but never refuse to give pedigree info, Name address etc. You can be detained legally if you refuse to identify yourself. The cop could argue that you may have been hiding from a warrant by refusing to ID or falsely Identifying oyourself.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

To simplify my tatics in a traffic stop
If you dont plan on fighting the ticket then admit to your mistake and apologize. Say it wont happen again and admit your stupidity.

If you do plan on fighting the ticket then dont say anything.
The only thing you should say is that you were going the speed limit. Say "officer I am SURE I was going X MPH." You are accomplishing two things here
1) By saying you were going to speed limit then you can go to court say you were going the speed limit. If you say I dont know then how can you say you were going the speed limit in court. The officer will remember these things.
2) By saying you are sure then it takes away doubt. If you say I think then it too will come to court.

Most of the time the mistake people make going to traffic court is they plan to flat out deny the allegations with no further evidence. You are essentially calling the police officer a flat out liar and not only will you be found guilty you will walk out of there with a heftier fine then you came in with. What you must do try to prove an error in officers Judgement. Prove reasonable doubt, not complete innocence. (or equipment malfuctions or misuse in Speeding cases...usually helps if you have an attorney.
ALWAYS in traffic stops observe the following
1. Be respectful and courteous to the officer
2. Keep your hands in plain view at all times
3. Shut off your car
4. Turn off all noise...including passengers
5. DONT REACH FOR YOUR GLOVE BOX (REGISTRATION) BEFORE THE OFFICER ASKS!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Also observe your other rights in a traffic stop.
Dont EVER consent to a search. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose by consenting to a search.
Example: (True story) My friend bought a truck and after a few months he was pulled over for running a stop sign and he consented to a search. The previous owner was a pot smoker and the was a dime bag under the passengers seat. He had to jump through hoops to prove his innocence.

Officers can not call in a drug dog for a traffic stop unless they have reasonable suspicion that at least a misdemenor is taking place. (Traffic stops are CIVIL infractions) Florida and the United States has unreasonable detainment laws. Officers Can not search your car unless they can prove probable cause as well or you consent.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by nhraracer
To simplify my tatics in a traffic stop
If you dont plan on fighting the ticket then admit to your mistake and apologize. Say it wont happen again and admit your stupidity.

If you do plan on fighting the ticket then dont say anything.
The only thing you should say is that you were going the speed limit. Say "officer I am SURE I was going X MPH." You are accomplishing two things here
1) By saying you were going to speed limit then you can go to court say you were going the speed limit. If you say I dont know then how can you say you were going the speed limit in court. The officer will remember these things.
2) By saying you are sure then it takes away doubt. If you say I think then it too will come to court.

Most of the time the mistake people make going to traffic court is they plan to flat out deny the allegations with no further evidence. You are essentially calling the police officer a flat out liar and not only will you be found guilty you will walk out of there with a heftier fine then you came in with. What you must do try to prove an error in officers Judgement. Prove reasonable doubt, not complete innocence. (or equipment malfuctions or misuse in Speeding cases...usually helps if you have an attorney.
ALWAYS in traffic stops observe the following
1. Be respectful and courteous to the officer
2. Keep your hands in plain view at all times
3. Shut off your car
4. Turn off all noise...including passengers
5. DONT REACH FOR YOUR GLOVE BOX (REGISTRATION) BEFORE THE OFFICER ASKS!
The problem with that is that usually in a speed summons the cops has either radar or laser to to support the charge. Unless he or she is using visual estimation. Then you have a chance. Also if you get stopped at night, make sure you turn the dome light on prior to the cop approaching AND NEVER GET OUT OF THE CAR unless instructed. But good info!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3fingas
The problem with that is that usually in a speed summons the cops has either radar or laser to to support the charge. Unless he or she is using visual estimation. Then you have a chance. Also if you get stopped at night, make sure you turn the dome light on prior to the cop approaching AND NEVER GET OUT OF THE CAR unless instructed. But good info!
Even then there is a chance if you know what to force the officer to prove. First in the state of Florida there are maintnence requirements for radars and lasers. There are requirements in what the officer must explain to you when he issues the ticket your rights and options etc. Speeding tickets in Florida are very tricky and I could write a book on ways to get off, technicalities etc but Im not. In the case of a speeding ticket its best to hire an attorney and really money wise its best only to fight it really if you are trying to avoid points and have already taken the class.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

I think it can go either way...

Ive always played the truthful side, take the worry away from the cop by putting my hands on the steering wheel and all so they feel safer and be honest. And yes this does work, it has a couple of times. BUT Ive had a couple times that it didnt and the cops wanted to be a jerk just to be. If anyone remembers a post I had on here awhile back when I ended up getting two tickets in a night by UCF and FHP. It was mistakes on my behalf, i apologized and said that it was an accident, wasnt paying attention, and they both gave me the tickets and were on their way.

So ya it works to be nice and honest, but sometimes if the cop wants to theyll use that against you to give a ticket.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love the videos. Neat info. I like hearing this kinda stuff but, hope that it doesn't give people the false expectation that THEY (the cops) are S.O.L. if you simply dont talk... hahaha... If you did do something illegal (simple speeding)and are caught, dont be a fool. Unless you have a law degree, lots of money, or are close with very influential people in "the system", just take your lashings and learn from it.

Rumor has it....... and I would like to know from knowledgable people out there,.. that if you goto court, you are given the chance to explain what happened and it's a possibility that the judge can reduce the fine and/or dismiss points? Like, pretty much just pay a fine/fee and be done with it. Is any of that true?!?!

Quick story: a friend of mine pulled into a handicap parking spot for maybe 30 seconds to let someone out of the car. Some asshat citizen on patrol reported the plate number for parking there and he got a ticket for like $300+ for parking in a handicap area. He went to court and pretty much got the chance to explain what happened and he got off paying just court costs (nothing compared to the 300+). That was in Hawaii though... might be totally different for whatever reasons there.

Last edited by hyperzone; 09-26-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added a question
Old 09-26-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NHRA: For someone who wants to become a cop you might want to rethink coming on a public forum trying to tell people what they can/can't do as well as what the cop HAS to do.

1st off, I don't have to explain ANYTHING to someone I pull over other than the reason I pulled them over. I choose to explain their options to them, but in no way am I required too. I CAN call a drug dog out on any traffic stop I wish. I think the state of Fl has deemed approx 30 minutes as a reasonable stop so if I can get a dog there within 30 minutes, I'm good to go. And telling people not to consent to a search of their vehicle is assinine for someone wanting to go into law enforcement, who's side are you on?? You're right, unless I have probable cause to search a vehicle I can't get in it w/o consent. But if they want to play hardball and tell me no just because they can, fine. Two can play that game.

As far as fighting a speeding ticket, good luck. I've seen VERY few tickets won in court. Any officer/deputy worth his pay will have all his documents in order and probably not the first time he has been to traffic court. Most of us that right tickets go every Tuesday in my county. You are right though. If you plan to fight the ticket keep your mouth shut. Otherwise, being polite and admitting to your mistake goes a long way with me. I've let tons of people off simply because they admitted it. The ones I haven't I usually write for 9 over instead of 20+ over which they were probably doing. In my county, lawyer is best bet. He won't get you out of the fine but he'll most likely get the points dropped seeing we have a good working relationship with the traffic lawyers in town.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

This is what irritates the hell out of me when I look at the current law enforcement landscape. Im not on anyone's "Side." Im an advocate of the system. That means I want law enforcement officers to do their job and help maintain order and justice while making sure that citizens know their rights as an American given to them by the founding fathers. Too often officers of the law view these rights as inhibitors (As you appear to) to them doing their job instead of being part of them. I want to be an officer to uphold all sides of the law, not just bust criminals.

I have seen time after time incidents where cops pull someone over for a busted tail light and then proceed to ask each passenger sperately if they are in possession of illegal substances, where are they headed, where are they coming from etc. Then they proceed to search the car. All this for a tail light. Now I of course know the reasons for individual questioning and what the officer is doing but I disagree wholeheartedly with it. If I pull you for a tail light Im going to give you a quick questionare while Im looking through your car and at your passengers. If I dont find anything solid to suggest otherwise Im going to run your license and send you on your way. No swinging in the dark hoping to hit something.

I will never let and officer search my car. Ive never searched my car from bumper to bumper so Im not sure that the previous owner never left any presents and Im not going let an officer find them. I have nothing to gain other than the officers trust (Which means nothing to me) by consenting to a search. Any informed citizen would not either. Ignorance by the public is the first step towards facism. Just because I believe in educating the public in their rights does not put me on the side of the criminals sir. It puts me if anything on the side of education.

As far as winning a speeding ticket goes If you bothered to read my message a few posts back you would have seen me mention that it is only wise if you wish to avoid points. In my experience if you have a pretty clean driving record and you are at least able to cast some doubt on the ticket then you will walk out with a slightly lighter fine plus court costs and 1 or no points. The only exception to this is if you either directly or indirectly call the officer a liar in which case Ive seen fines doubled. licenses suspended, etc. Judges dont like that.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get back with me after a few years on the job. Either you won't be a cop anymore or you'll have an entirely different outlook on life, that is a fact. I think your "advocate of the system" is kind of cute, hahaha. I'm not making fun of you, just being realistic. Just wait and see, I think you're in for a serious rude awakening.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS
Get back with me after a few years on the job. Either you won't be a cop anymore or you'll have an entirely different outlook on life, that is a fact. I think your "advocate of the system" is kind of cute, hahaha. I'm not making fun of you, just being realistic. Just wait and see, I think you're in for a serious rude awakening.
And yet there is a officer of 30 years in my first post saying that everything that I am saying about protecting yourself from self-incrimination is correct. I will admit I have met plenty of officers like you through the academy and shadowing and friendship who talk the exact same way. But I have met plenty of current and retired officers like myself including a mentor of mine who thing like me and respect the consititution as part of their job and can see things from the other side that if they were on the other side they would want and use the same rights as the people they put away. My mentor was a Dade county sheriff for 40 years and worked all facets of the department from a uniformed cop to a detective or a drug enforcement specialist to a gang violence specialist and we have shared many discussions on this topic.

Dont ever consent to a search, dont ever talk to the police even as a possible suspect, dont ever go through the justice system as even a suspect without a lawyer.

My favorite statistic:
25% of people who were found guilty and later found innocent due to the emergence of DNA evidence made a confession to the police at some point during the proceedings.
If that doesnt alarm you then you and I are on different ends of logic and morality.

Time will tell if the job will truely change me but based on the officers I choose to learn from and surround myself with I doubt it. But you have never met me so dont assume that I am so weak as to automatically succumb to such changes based on the pressures and demands of the job. I have met both sides with both people who think like me and people who think like you and only time will tell which one I will become or remain.

Last edited by nhraracer; 09-26-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe you should be a lawyer, not a cop. The way I look at it, either you're with us or against us. Either you bleed blue or you don't. Doesn't get any simpler than that and in my book there is no middle ground. I wish you the best of luck, I really do.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe you should be a lawyer, not a cop. The way I look at it, either you're with us or against us. Either you bleed blue or you don't. Doesn't get any simpler than that and in my book there is no middle ground. I wish you the best of luck, I really do.
Comments like that are why respect of, and cooperation with, law enforcement is a thing of the past.
Protect and SERVE, you are placed in a position of power and trust to help the community, not to yeild self gratification of superiority.

Sara Lou
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zralou
Comments like that are why respect of, and cooperation with, law enforcement is a thing of the past.
Protect and SERVE, you are placed in a position of power and trust to help the community, not to yeild self gratification of superiority.

Sara Lou
Sara, you and I have not always seen eye to eye, but I am with you 100% on this one.

I am a US citizen. I have a job. I pay taxes. Therefore you work for ME. If I am breaking a law, then that is one thing. But when you pull me over, you are accusing me of a crime. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. Period. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

I keep rereading this, and I do not want to continue. It will only go downhill

Protect and Serve.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

What is this team crap? Im not with anyone as I have previously stated. Im am here to be a servent of the public and the justice system. To uphold the Constitution. I have served for the last 4 years since I discovered my life's calling. I have done mission work for the church, volunteered for many agencies, done work for the homeless, worked with the elderly and the special needs. That is the reason I chose law enforcement as a career. To punish the guilty and protect the innocent and assist the public. And if your oath is anything like the one Im going to take you were sworn to uphold the constitution of the United States (And Florida) and if you like it or not that includes amendments 4-6. I can see things from the other side and if I was being accused I would want to know my rights hence I like to educate people about their rights. And because I am pro-constitution education does not make me anti-team police or whatever you want to call it. I am pro-justice system however, and that means all parts of it, for it is the best in the world and therefore I will gladly swear to uphold it.

Quick Reply: Dont incriminate yourself - Dont Talk to cops...ever!