Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Went for a new bst 1/8 mile ET and came back a little bruised :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:02 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Went for a new bst 1/8 mile ET and came back a little bruised :(

Weather cooled of a bit so I thought I'd put the tune on kill, tighten up the suspension and see what would happen. First pass I forgot to turn the bottle for he air shifter on, but got a nice 1.23 60 foot. Figured I'd just go back around and make another pass, well I got bit by the ole' 4th gen wheelstand bug. Cracked the oil pan, intercooler, intercooler pipes, scraped up both the front and rear bumpers and a few minor other things. I shut it off as soon as it smacked down so I'm sure the engine is OK, doesnt appear to have bent any suspension parts - the oil pan and headers pretty much broke the fall lol.

Didnt get a great video (wife panicked) but here is what I got, not sure if I'm going to put it back together or part it out at this point. This is the fourth year of running the car and I'm pretty bored with it so who knows.

Here is the vid when it works and a pic from it:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...3-b7cae2c7a81b

Last edited by kp; 12-12-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have travel limiters? Some of those and some of Madman's save your *** bars would be on the to do list Could be worse, at least you and the car are ok
Old 10-18-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

hot dam..
Old 10-18-2008, 12:41 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowredz
Do you have travel limiters? Some of those and some of Madman's save your *** bars would be on the to do list Could be worse, at least you and the car are ok
Save your *** bars wouldnt have helped much, I used them before and had one put a hole in the pan hitting the 1/4 mile dip at carolina dragway..

Yes it has limiters, the car has ben 60 footing in the 1.25 range for a few years now without much drama, who knows why it decided to go on the bumper today. The first pass off the trailer was a best ever 1.2307 60 foot and not a huge wheelstand so I figured just drive around and do it again since the shifter didnt work - figured wrong
Old 10-18-2008, 12:44 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by kp
Weather cooled of a bit so I thought I'd put the tune on kill, tighten up the suspension and see what would happen. First pass I forgot to turn the bottle for he air shifter on, but got a nice 1.23 60 foot. Figured I'd just go back around and make another pass, well I got bit by the ole' 4th gen wheelstand bug. Cracked the oil pan, intercooler, intercooler pipes, scraped up both the front and rear bumpers and a few minor other things. I shut it off as soon as it smacked down so I'm sure the engine is OK, doesnt appear to have bent any suspension parts - the oil pan and headers pretty much broke the fall lol.

Didnt get a great video (wife panicked) but here is what I got, not sure if I'm going to put it back together or part it out at this point. This is the fourth year of running the car and I'm pretty bored with it so who knows.

Here is the vid when it works and a pic from it:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...3-b7cae2c7a81b
Wow Kevin! I'm going to strap my car down extra tight this weekend!!! Did it come up too fast or did you think you could ride it out?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Wow Kevin! I'm going to strap my car down extra tight this weekend!!! Did it come up too fast or did you think you could ride it out?
Thought I could ride it out, I started letting off but it kept going up. When I heard the rear bumper scraping I pulled high gear and it came down pretty hard, would have been worse if I just let off it I guess, it was high enough where it scraped the chute mount. The suspension all seems OK, other stuff can be easily replaced. More pissed about scratching the paint up on the bumper covers..
Old 10-18-2008, 01:02 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by kp
Thought I could ride it out, I started letting off but it kept going up. When I heard the rear bumper scraping I pulled high gear and it came down pretty hard, would have been worse if I just let off it I guess, it was high enough where it scraped the chute mount. The suspension all seems OK, other stuff can be easily replaced. More pissed about scratching the paint up on the bumper covers..
I hear ya. 1.23 60' your my new hero! My last time out I was turning 1.33 60' and spinning shifting into second? Wow that's a killer 60' at our weight and tire!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:07 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
I hear ya. 1.23 60' your my new hero! My last time out I was turning 1.33 60' and spinning shifting into second? Wow that's a killer 60' at our weight and tire!
Its gone 1.23 before and 1.24-1.25 many many times, when the video works you can see the first pass was pretty non eventful except the car didnt shift. Thats the most wheelstand it ever does ususally. I didnt even shut the car off, just drove it right around and made another pass. Usually it doesnt leave as hard when I do that since the blower is hot so I was a little surprised to say the least lol.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

wow that sucks man. hope you get things back together soon. if not let me know what you decide to part with.

Last edited by red90cobra; 10-18-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn i hate that Kevin, hope its not to bad. Oh and my wife would have done the same thing,lol.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

congrads brah!! lol getting tired of the car lol
Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

That sucks Kevin! We'll be putting wheelie bars on my car when we get it back together. Madman's bars didn't help us any either, but I'm sure Brian never planned on them to save **** when a car drops in from outer space. lol Bob

Old 10-18-2008, 07:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

KP, that just stinks. Feel your pain on the bumper covers, I scratched my bottom/front cover up coming of the trailer 3yrs ago at the track. Pull cars on/off the trailer hundreds of times but this one time the back tires of the truck were in a little dip and raised the back of the trailer. Man did that upset me.....more than any aftermarket parts that we put on and destroy.

Give it a couple of weeks and you will get the itch. Bob, do you have any FMI kits ready? This car is meant to be together and not parted out....IMHO.

Jon
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-18-2008, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

wow KP that crazy man i seen you car make like 4-5 pass that day down in London and it NEVER acted like to would do that!! sorry to hear about the paint man but look at it this way black is VERY easy to color match!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:21 AM
9 Second Club

Glad you are ok! I just wish I could get my car to 60ft. like that!
Don't part it out unless you plan on going bigger and faster?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
That sucks Kevin! We'll be putting wheelie bars on my car when we get it back together. Madman's bars didn't help us any either, but I'm sure Brian never planned on them to save **** when a car drops in from outer space. lol Bob

Bob, all 4's need to be on the ground to move forward???LOL
It seem's you and KP are getting your 60ft. time's off the back bumper?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
At least you got some good coverage of both of your big wheelstands, all I got was a lot of dirty looks from oiling down 1/2 the track I'd need a longer trailer if I got wheelie bars

Originally Posted by silver95
KP, that just stinks. Feel your pain on the bumper covers, I scratched my bottom/front cover up coming of the trailer 3yrs ago at the track. Pull cars on/off the trailer hundreds of times but this one time the back tires of the truck were in a little dip and raised the back of the trailer. Man did that upset me.....more than any aftermarket parts that we put on and destroy.

Give it a couple of weeks and you will get the itch. Bob, do you have any FMI kits ready? This car is meant to be together and not parted out....IMHO.

Jon
Yea, it seems funny but screwing up that nice 10 year old factory paint pisses me off more than anything. I guess they could have usded a repaint anyhow but it seems whenever I get those bumper covers painted they just never hold up.

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
Glad you are ok! I just wish I could get my car to 60ft. like that!
Don't part it out unless you plan on going bigger and faster?
I'm going to have to see what the 60' was on that, it was definitely on the rear bumper for that one.

My wife isnt very thrilled with the whole thing right now lol, the logger said 80mph when I let off the throttle after it it hit, a lot of bad things could have happened there. I'm just kind of pissed because I may miss the good weather again.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Coal Mining Director

I'm glad you kept it straight. Hate to see the damage though....time for an A t W now so you can bring cold weather with you.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow thats insane... sorry to hear about that. Don't part it but understand if you do!
Old 10-18-2008, 10:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Air shifter malfunction again??

Quick Reply: Went for a new bst 1/8 mile ET and came back a little bruised :(