Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

428" LSX - What size Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 428" LSX - What size Turbo?

Hey guys, Im building an 428" LSX for my Grand National. Bowtie LSX block, Callies crank and rods, World Warhawk 6 bolt heads, FAST LSX 92 intake, FAST XFI, 4L80E Trans. 8.5:1 Compression. 91 pump gas and methanol.

Primary use is a stupid fast street car.

A few things im looking for advise on is:

-What size turbo? Pt91, PT101? I really want to stay with Precision and journal bearing.

-Which Cam, way to many opinions on this, but some of the boosted LS guys have to have an opinion on what cam makes the power.

I want a turbo that will not take the better part of a day to spool, I have a Yank 4000 Stall currently. I have enough inches to move a big turbo but i dont want a turbo thats just spooling when im about ready to shift. but I also dont want the turbo to be the limiting factor on my engine. My target is 20-25 PSI, Any help would be great, thanks, Ryan
Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Banned

Are you want to run pump gas only? For a kickass street car I would run some more compression, a 91mm turbo, and tighter converter. Also what is your HP goal not boost goal?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Launching!

You didn't read my post over on turbo buicks did ya Lol. When I get the body work done on this Nova Im going to start putting parts together for my GN build... I still want twins and it will be a stock cube 6.0 iron block with l92 heads, but the V8 combo is just too much to pass up when Im looking at putting a new tranny in the Gn and beefing up the bottom end on the Lc2.

Are you trying to do this with A/C?

Im thinking about using an APS style setup for mine since Im trying to keep my A/C and power steering... PLEASE post lots of pics and start a build up thread somewhere so I can keep tabs and learn from what you're doing.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by b18c1hybrid
Are you want to run pump gas only? For a kickass street car I would run some more compression, a 91mm turbo, and tighter converter. Also what is your HP goal not boost goal?
Its a daily driver so I want it to be pump gas, Im using methanol injection as well, I wanted to keep the compression low so I can add some boost, I can tighten the converter some but I figured on needing some stall to get the turbo rolling, I was hoping for1100-1200 on a reasonable tune. I dont want it on the edge like the Buick 6 to make good power.

Im leaning on a pt91 or 94, I tried to talk to precision twice and they just keep trying to cram a GT55 down my throat, and I really ddint want to spring 3500 for a turbo, I can get a new pt 91-94 for 1800 or a used one for a grand and have it rebuilt for 3 bones and be done.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Well, you said you don't want to wait all day for the turbo to spool, but you want to stick with a JB. You get one or the other. Unless you want to run spray or use one of the other tricks of the trade, you pay for what you get.

Edit: Just an idea, but maybe hunt around for some dual GT40s, but the extra fabbing might put you back closer to a 55.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Actually I did, I posted a few times in your thread! Im just tryin to gather info on the way to do it! I have a pile of parts to be here this week and a 4.8 to use for mock up, ill be posting in my project thread as this goes as well. check it this sunday, ill have the engine fit to the frame by then to mock it up.

-oil pan to fit the g-body without cutting
-98-02 f-body motor mounts
-spohn motor stands
-98-02 f body front accessories
-99 4L80E

Ill mock it to the frame this weekend so I can get back rolling on the frame work finally, I stopped the frame work when I decided to change engine plans untill my engine choice was final.

Heres a link to my project thread at TB. Keep an eye on it as I will be posting updates on the LSX project(which I expect to take a while cuz I dont finance go-fast parts)

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/gen...own-today.html
Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nuclearxp
Well, you said you don't want to wait all day for the turbo to spool, but you want to stick with a JB. You get one or the other. Unless you want to run spray or use one of the other tricks of the trade, you pay for what you get.

Edit: Just an idea, but maybe hunt around for some dual GT40s, but the extra fabbing might put you back closer to a 55.
I was hoping to stay single turbo, I wanted to run a large single exhaust and keep plumbing to a minimum, I have a huge FMIC already I was hoping to use! I know the BB turbos spool faster, but in my GN experiance they did not spool faster enough to justify the cost, I went JB and bought a new converter (mine had a failed lockup)loosened the converter by 500 and the result was comparable spool with a cheaper turbo and with the added stall it had great street manners. I was hoping by using some stall and the fact that its a larger inch engine I could get away with a bigger turbo and not have it be a complete pig on the street!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BetMinesFaster
Hey guys, Im building an 428" LSX for my Grand National. Bowtie LSX block, Callies crank and rods, World Warhawk 6 bolt heads, FAST LSX 92 intake, FAST XFI, 4L80E Trans. 8.5:1 Compression. 91 pump gas and methanol.

Primary use is a stupid fast street car.

A few things im looking for advise on is:

-What size turbo? Pt91, PT101? I really want to stay with Precision and journal bearing.

-Which Cam, way to many opinions on this, but some of the boosted LS guys have to have an opinion on what cam makes the power.

I want a turbo that will not take the better part of a day to spool, I have a Yank 4000 Stall currently. I have enough inches to move a big turbo but i dont want a turbo thats just spooling when im about ready to shift. but I also dont want the turbo to be the limiting factor on my engine. My target is 20-25 PSI, Any help would be great, thanks, Ryan
EZ-94X. Will spool damn near instant and support HUGE power.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

What's the minimum cubes would you choose on that turbo?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Hey man, can I trade my brand new never used S91 in for one of those or a 98X, plus some $$? .
Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
How much stall and compression do you reccomend? Do you have a cam suggestion as well? There are so many factors that affect spool, I just want to put something together that ill be happy with. Also, as a 97% street car if driven maturely and properly maintained and turbo timed how many miles can one expect to get out of this turbo? TIA, Ryan
Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd do a Precision 101 from Shawn @ VA Speed, he will spec the cam for ya also. I'd also use more compression, maybe 9.0:1, 9.5:1 your tuneup better be dead nuts. If your budget allows a Chance bolt together converter for the ultimate in flexibility.

I've got a 106 on my 438 and it spools up pretty fast. Shawn can sell you a cam that is tested to spool QUICK, no guessing here.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I'd do a Precision 101 from Shawn @ VA Speed, he will spec the cam for ya also. I'd also use more compression, maybe 9.0:1, 9.5:1 your tuneup better be dead nuts. If your budget allows a Chance bolt together converter for the ultimate in flexibility.

I've got a 106 on my 438 and it spools up pretty fast. Shawn can sell you a cam that is tested to spool QUICK, no guessing here.
And all this is practical for a street car? This car is cageless and will see little track time! Also. 1 3/4 header tubes? I need to order the goodys to build some headers!!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1 3/4" headers are fine 2.5" crossover, Shawn will spec a street grind. I'd have no issues driving my 2000hp LSx powered Mustang to work if needed with the current setup, I would look kinda funny with a chute hanging off the back but its ok.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info on this stuff and a contact for the cam specs!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Know any place I can find a 1 3/4 x 2 1/2 collector? All I can find is 3" with 1 3/4 inlets.....

Would a 3" crossover be a killer? Im planing on running a rear crossover like the 6 did. I wanted to basically make a v8 model of my TA v6 headers and place the turbo where it would have gone with the 6 as well, nice, clean and simple. Heres a few pics of the ta headers. I was thinking maybe a 3" crossover/rh log straight to the turbo, I dont have a flange yet but that has got to be huge? What flange does a PT101 use? I need to buy one so I can figure this stuff.....

This style header seems to work well, the buick sixes will go mid nines on these!
Attached Thumbnails 428" LSX - What size Turbo?-picture-082.jpg   428" LSX - What size Turbo?-picture-081.jpg   428" LSX - What size Turbo?-gn53resize.jpg  

Last edited by BetMinesFaster; 10-21-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
1 3/4" headers are fine 2.5" crossover, Shawn will spec a street grind. I'd have no issues driving my 2000hp LSx powered Mustang to work if needed with the current setup, I would look kinda funny with a chute hanging off the back but its ok.
I bet the cops would hate the fact they can't see the license plate with the chute in the way
Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

So you are leaning towards a large frame T6, or mid frame?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
So you are leaning towards a large frame T6, or mid frame?
Looking at something between a PT94 and 101, Just want a car with good street manners that will make killer power. I belive I have enough inches to push a larger turbo fine.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Phil.
Shawn is doing my new motor (410ci) and my new 106mm turbo from Precision.

The 101 is going to be a T6 flanged unit.
Im 1 3/4 headers to 2 1/2 crossover. Dual 48mm Wastegates and a single 5" DP.

Kyle

Quick Reply: 428" LSX - What size Turbo?