Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2bar vs 3bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2bar vs 3bar?

looking at buying a 2bar map sensor for my turbo lsx fox build, i saw the 2bar is good up to 15psi, but i may eventually wanna go over that, will the 3bar map sensor work below 15psi?...i dont wanna have to buy another sensor if i can use the 3bar below 15psi
Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned

3 bar is good from 0-30psi
Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, think about it, even a high-boost car has to idle and cruise off-boost a lot of the time, and your MAP still has to work to do the density part of your speed density calculations.

Most 2-bars are good to about 18-19 pounds of boost. If you aren't going higher, then the advantage is to stay with the smaller one, because it gives your greater resolution of manifold pressure in the boost range you actually drive. They all use approximately a 0-5Volt range, but the 3-bar has to save some of that range for all the way up to about ~30# of boost, where you will probably never run.

Jim
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Launching!

well 19psi on a stock bottom end 4.8 wont last very long, so the 2bar will probably be alright
Old 10-23-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeltaT
Sure, think about it, even a high-boost car has to idle and cruise off-boost a lot of the time, and your MAP still has to work to do the density part of your speed density calculations.

Most 2-bars are good to about 18-19 pounds of boost. If you aren't going higher, then the advantage is to stay with the smaller one, because it gives your greater resolution of manifold pressure in the boost range you actually drive. They all use approximately a 0-5Volt range, but the 3-bar has to save some of that range for all the way up to about ~30# of boost, where you will probably never run.

Jim
Thanks my man!! I was gonna be asking this same / in about 2 weeks when i take my APS TT to be tunned !I was gonna go witha MAF tune but after talking with quite a few tunners ,I feel this is the best ave to take also!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can boost both the 2 bar and the 3 bar as much as you want to. The 2 bar will be a piece of cake to boost to 14#'s and the 3 bar is good to about 30#. Again, you CAN run as much boost as you want, but if you are going with more boost for each map senser than listed above, it will require a bit of extra tuning and experience.

In other words, a 2 bar map sensor you can run to say 25#'s of boost, but it will require much more in-depth tuning to get everything dialed in compared to the easy and very percise tune that could be had with the 2 bar map sensor and running say 12#'s of boost.

Ultimatly, 3 bar map sensor > 2 bar map sensor.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
You can boost both the 2 bar and the 3 bar as much as you want to. The 2 bar will be a piece of cake to boost to 14#'s and the 3 bar is good to about 30#. Again, you CAN run as much boost as you want, but if you are going with more boost for each map senser than listed above, it will require a bit of extra tuning and experience.

In other words, a 2 bar map sensor you can run to say 25#'s of boost, but it will require much more in-depth tuning to get everything dialed in compared to the easy and very percise tune that could be had with the 2 bar map sensor and running say 12#'s of boost.

Ultimatly, 3 bar map sensor > 2 bar map sensor.
Right, and it will be richer between 15 and 25 pounds.

Quick Reply: 2bar vs 3bar?