Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

haveyou ever over tightened a procharger belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default haveyou ever over tightened a procharger belt?

belt came off on the high way last night my buddy put another one on today... got some smoke then new blower belt snapped!! the idler pulley is frozen and the bearings in it are shot!!! this kit only has 2000 miles on it.. i was told to crank the tensioner pretty damn good so its tight like a guitar string but was it too tight and caused the bearings to seize in the idler pulley on the tensioner?? mods are d1sc 10lbs 6rib 7" crank 3.85blower pulley....how tight is tight? cause i dont want this bull sh** to happen again... input??
Old 10-25-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have two tensioners? I have 2 and with the longer belt i pushed the stock tensioner down untill the betlt touched the stan off nuts. you cold see the grooves in the aluminum nuts. Also with 10 or more #'s you might want to upgrade to a 8 rib.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:54 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've run the 6 rib kit belt tension really tight and have not had the idler pulley bearings fail on us. Take the pulley to your local Napa, they should be able to give you bearings for it. The bearing part number is floating around on here some place, you should be able to find it with a search. Bob

Quick Reply: haveyou ever over tightened a procharger belt?