Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

If 600rwhp was your end goal, would there be a downside to a rear mount.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default If 600rwhp was your end goal, would there be a downside to a rear mount.

I would like to try my hand at the turbo thing.

My project car is going to be my 98 Trans Am that is bone stock. Its just my daily drive and i want to make it fun.

I was considering going H/C route, but i just dont want to do a second car the same way i did my first.

Im looking and doing a home-built rear mount. I was also considering doing a DIY front mount, but if 600rwhp is my final goal, would doing a front mount even be an advantage? I would like to make ~500rwhp now, and maybe 600 down the road once i got more familiar with tuning and started upgrading a few parts.

I would probably do it with a MP T-70, or some other turbo i could pick up for cheap.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes there would be, your turbo would be at the wrong end of the car.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Launching!

It will be fine. There are 1,000 horse butt mounts out there. Ignore the criticism and make your car turbo'd!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Old 11-03-2008, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be worse, he could be trying to make a truck fast
Old 11-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

And you would be forced to drive in reverse!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
I was also considering doing a DIY front mount, but if 600rwhp is my final goal, would doing a front mount even be an advantage?
On a more serious note, you will lose overall effeciency with the turbo being rear mounted. How much I can't say. I can tell you that I run a rear mount in one of the worst environments around. Our summer time DA is 7000+ and it really affects spoolup, but my car is still decent to drive. I do have an auto trans in it which works really well to mask spool issues. I have a friend with a 6spd setup here too using a 72mm and it spools very fast because it is sized correctly for his setup.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh snap!!! you guys are quick.

BTW listen to Zombie he has been there and done that lol, he likes it ITB. j/k.

If Zombie raced in places other then where airplanes fly (alt. wise) he would have a easy 9 second car.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

The primary use for this is to just be a fun daily driver. I already have a 418 nitrous car that is my drag car. I guess im just using this as an avenue to get my feet wet in the turbo world, since thats is ultimately what i would like to do with my other car.

How does a 500rwhp rear mount vs 500rwhp front mount compare? Can you experience very similar results if sizing is correct, etc?

How do you feel the MP T-70 would work as a rear mount, and what would it max at?

I dont ever see me putting big money into this car, because i already have another car that i have turned into my "race car". This car is just going to be for fun.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
Could be worse, he could be trying to make a truck fast
Ha... ha... ha...

On a more serious note, you will lose overall effeciency with the turbo being rear mounted. How much I can't say. I can tell you that I run a rear mount in one of the worst environments around. Our summer time DA is 7000+ and it really affects spoolup, but my car is still decent to drive. I do have an auto trans in it which works really well to mask spool issues. I have a friend with a 6spd setup here too using a 72mm and it spools very fast because it is sized correctly for his setup.
A lot...

To the OP: Do a front mount. You'll make the same amount of power, running less boost. Rear mounts only work the best when they're heated up. I've seen numbers differ by the hundreds on the dyno after a few passes and once the exhaust started to heat up. 'Course, these were on purpose built all-out race cars, but still...
Old 11-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

A GT60 or GT67 will meet your needs at 6-9 psi...
you want quick spool and power till redline?
bigger isnt always better. (for street use and stock block)
Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by GT67METHV
A GT60 or GT67 will meet your needs at 6-9 psi...
you want quick spool and power till redline?
bigger isnt always better. (for street use and stock block)
Blasphemy! Who doesn't like boost kicking in at 4500 RPM.

Disclaimer: Yes, that was my attempt at being sarcastic.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silverado_13
Ha... ha... ha...

A lot...
So is your unit of "A lot" in Metric, standard or Canadian?

If the OP can fab everything it will be cheap, easy and fast for him to do. If he wants to go racing with it then i'd rethink it, but for 500-600rwhp a rear mount is perfectly fine.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

My basic plans are as follows:

MP T-70 or similar - $500-600 im guessing
Wastegate - $250-300
BOV - $250 - 300
Oil Pump - $110 (thanks for the info Zombie)
Misc Tubing - Few hundred dollars

I was going to plumb it all up myself

I see that most have decent luck with no intercooler at my power goals (500rwhp). Not sure what i would gain hp wise out of it, im assuming just more efficient per lb of boost, and perhaps more hp on pump gas.

Its looking like i could realisticly do this for $2000 or less.

The car already has a 255 in tank pump, and im picking up some 42lb injectors soon.

Am i talking out of my head here or does all of this sound right?

I would love to do a front mount, but even if i do all the things that i can to cut corners, 3500-4000 is more around what it would cost. I dont like the idea of the truck manifold kits because they elimiate the AC. I was also looking at the "ebay" kits that some have had luck with, but it just seems like a lot of work for no more power than im shooting for.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

So is your unit of "A lot" in Metric, standard or Canadian?

If the OP can fab everything it will be cheap, easy and fast for him to do. If he wants to go racing with it then i'd rethink it, but for 500-600rwhp a rear mount is perfectly fine.
Yeah no plans for it to be a race car. Just a fun daily driver that will no longer have to be afraid of bolt on 03/04 cobras, lol. I have a dry nitrous kit sitting here for it, but i want to try something new.

I have a nice Mig and Tig welder, so fabing things up really wont be an issue. I would consider doing a front mount and making my own hot parts (i have build headers on race cars before, but not in the tight confines of the fbody engine bay) but thats a lot to bite off for my first turbo project... plus a lot more money and complexity that i dont think i need to mess with for my power goals.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM

If you can fabricate everything yourself, then go for it! It will be cheaper.

I was simply stating that it will make more power once it starts to heat up, which takes longer than a front mount.

Efficiency will still be a little worse than a front mount, but if you're only aiming for 600 at the tires, it shouldn't matter. All you'll need to do is turn up the little black ****.

I like to overbuild things, so that way when and if I turn up the boost, I don't have to rebuild everything. Keep in mind that if you're running a lower amount of boost, everything will last longer than if you're running a higher number.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Silverado_13
If you can fabricate everything yourself, then go for it! It will be cheaper.

I was simply stating that it will make more power once it starts to heat up, which takes longer than a front mount.

Efficiency will still be a little worse than a front mount, but if you're only aiming for 600 at the tires, it shouldn't matter. All you'll need to do is turn up the little black ****.

I like to overbuild things, so that way when and if I turn up the boost, I don't have to rebuild everything. Keep in mind that if you're running a lower amount of boost, everything will last longer than if you're running a higher number.

Good luck.
This is strictly a budget, one time only, build. It wont be like on my camaro where before i was even done with one set of mods, i would be ready for the next step.

This is going to be a do it once, have one goal in mind, and then it will be done.

If i **** the stock bottom end out at ~500rwhp (its a high mileage motor), then i will just do a mild rebuild with cheap but good aftermarket rods and pistons and then be done. At that point if the turbo has a bit more in it and i can up the power a little, then i will. At no point in the cars life will i ever decide to take it over 600rwhp, too much starts breaking or needed upgraded at that point.

Main point of this project is to get me familiar with the little quirks and tricks of turbos. I would like to do an 88+ on my 418 car down the road, and dont want to mess something up by jumping into all that at once.

I dont want to loose any creature comforts or reliability, just want to make the car more fun.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 PM
9 Second Club

Do a rear mount and go have fun. Keep in mind, the fastest LSX drag radial car is a rear mount!! They can't be all that bad!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Are most of you rear mount guys running intercoolers?

I have heard the theory that you dont need one because of the length of the intake tube, and that it only makes the spool up worse. I have also heard that it helps regardless.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Launching!

I run a rearmount on my car.My first setup was stock motor,with a cam,meth injection,intercooler and a mpt-70.I put down 560 rwhp through a m6 with 8 psi,so your goals are easily reachable.

Quick Reply: If 600rwhp was your end goal, would there be a downside to a rear mount.