Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

honest anwser should i just build a n20 car for a daily driver!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honest anwser should i just build a n20 car for a daily driver!

thinking about the fi thing after looking at alot of post's from people that are or were fi'd. i am having second thought's about building a fi car now. i was thinkng about a procharger instead of n20. i want a real street car with no problems and i can drive anywhere i want when i want. just put gas in and ride with no worries. i'm starting to think it would be so much easier to just do a n20 setup and be done. i'm looking for the honest openion of the people who are charged or were. i mean a cam some bolt on's and a little spray i got 600rwhp and still get good gas milage.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:57 AM
8 Second Club

i have a procharger on my camaro and i used it daily - and loved it !

i also had a nitrouse ls mustang , it was fun , but i seriously got tired of lugging bottles around and worrying about how much spray i have left, so now i have two forced induction cars

the nice thing about a forced induced car is that the power is always there, no bottle pressure to worry about , no valves to open , and no n20 to run out. it will require a bit more maintainance , but if you set a hp goal and stick with it , you won't be dissapointed ( problem with F/I is that you are never satisfied and always think you need more )

the other thing to consider is how much do you need to have power all the time ; if you only race it one time a week or so and drive the car normally the rest of the time , then N2O is the best setup for you, you get the drivability of a regular car and power when you occationally need it . now if you race when ever you get a chance ( read : bike on the hiway, another car at a stop light , getting the unexplained urge to floor it on an empty stretch of hiway, or the ocasional "bash the ricer's ego" after a conversation relating to automotive stuff ) , then F/I is definatly the way to go .
my $.02
Old 11-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has been setup for N2O and FI. The N2O configuration was much more upkeep. I would only do N2O on a strictly track only car.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Street racing is getting more and more go directly to jail in most cities. Thank fast and furious idiots for most of that.

Track the nitrous is excellent option. Street not as much. I am putting some on my 99 but that is mostly for the car show circuit. The only thing better at a show then twin turbo is twin turbo with nitrous!
It is intimidating as well when you purge the nitrous and if its not hidden totally it also is intimidating. So far nitrous is legal on the street in my province. Neighboring province over you can't have the bottle hooked up .But thats easy fix in the f bodies. Put real bottle hooked up in the spare tire area. Put unhooked bottle like in hatch or between the back seats. Or have one of those nitrous subwoofer things in plain view with the rear bottle in the spare tire area.

Nitrous is fun and works great but the bottles go empty and cost quite a bit these days to fill and its pain filling them. And nitrous is not that cheap to setup once you do all the proper safety and support mods.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

i want to put a d1 procharger on my car. after i read no less then a dozen different peoples post's. about how they wish there car was still n/a after they dump'd a ton in to there setup. it kinda made me second guess my idea of what i want'd. a little up keep is one thing but like a lot of turbo setup's it's just not me. i'm not looking to go over 750 rwhp because **** breaks. i do not want to spend a lot of money just to have a fast or big hp street car. i'm not really looking to spend more then around 5k on the parts.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if u only have 5k stay away from FI. your gonna break **** next thing you know you have 20k in the car and still breaking ****
Old 11-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trans2000am
well if u only have 5k stay away from FI. your gonna break **** next thing you know you have 20k in the car and still breaking ****
Agreed, if you don't want to break parts or the bank, you should stay away from forced induction. $5K wont cut it when you price every single thing you need. If you want to gain a significant amount of power, intake/exhaust, a nice cam and some upgraded valvetrain and a 100-125 wet shot of nitrous would be safe for a stock LS1. All that tuned should run just shy of $4K (less if you can scavenge for used parts). That combination should put you at 500+whp and 550+wtq, that's plenty fast for any street car and I don't really see another way of making that much power with only $5K.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

i can but a d1 procharger system with a front mount system right now for 3000 ! i fuel system is another roughly 1k plus a few odd and end goodies put me close to 5k in parts. plus tuneing ( 550 at vengance ) !!!!!! it's not that 5k is my budget.i just dont want to invest much more then that into a car that is going to get alot of miles.

i've compared the two very close i can put a mcld clutch, a good cam ,spray, a set of decent heads and all supporting mods and will still make about the same as if it were charged. 550-600 rwhp is doable with a street n20 motor. i should come out around 4 k or so !!!!! as far as the bottle running out 2 15 pound bottles should take care of that. i'm not going to be spraying it every where i go just for fun runs .

but you still dont have the cool factor of a blower . i'm still thinking about it though .
Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Launching!

I had an '01 T/A with intake/exhaust/150 wet shot, and now have a '98 T/A turbo, if I could go back in time, I would have done turbo and never considered nitrous. I did have fun with nitrous but having the power there always with the turbo is intoxicating. Price them, compare, and make a choice, but consider nitrous will always be cheaper.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kngkahious
i want to put a d1 procharger on my car. after i read no less then a dozen different peoples post's. about how they wish there car was still n/a after they dump'd a ton in to there setup. it kinda made me second guess my idea of what i want'd. a little up keep is one thing but like a lot of turbo setup's it's just not me. i'm not looking to go over 750 rwhp because **** breaks. i do not want to spend a lot of money just to have a fast or big hp street car. i'm not really looking to spend more then around 5k on the parts.
Well a 150 hit isnt going to be easy on your stock components either...Id say for 5K go with a nice heads/cam/Fast 90 setup and get around 450 rwhp and enjoy that. 600 rwhp on spray isnt going to be more reliable than a d1sc car. If you drive the car hard you can break most of the stock components with under 400 rwhp. Trust me ive seen it happen plenty of times...
Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have both.I like the ProCharger car for differant reasons than I like my 300 shot Camero.Both are great.You have to decide which one meets your needs and budget.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

yeah i'm really thinking i'll charge it . i might put some spray onit now and build a 377 then boost it. i was only second guessing it because of all the post's that said. they wish'd they could just drive there car. it crank and run every time they hit the switch.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Yea if your looking for cheap HP now while waiting to build an FI engine then you could certainly run a 100-150 shot on your stock engine for a while as long as you have enough fuel and all of the saftey components. Or you can get the d1sc, run it on your stock engine set at 7-8 psi, and build a forged FI engine while you wait for the stocker to blow.

Quick Reply: honest anwser should i just build a n20 car for a daily driver!