Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best for my application?aps twin turbo or procharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best for my application?aps twin turbo or procharger

I have a 2002 a4. Built tranny4l60e 3000 stall,I did not want to go any higher than 3.56 gear on the rear ,soon to have moser 12 and driveshaft. I also have a low compression forged(except for crank) 346 ported 241 heads. I have been wondering which would be better for my build (procharger or aps twin turbo)... This car is daily driven... I like the idea of twin turbo but i have been told that prochargers are more predictable and streetable. Wondering if any truth to this. My biggest nightmare of going with procharger is belt slippage.... Any experience with either hp numbers and such would be nice. This same motor made around 700rwhp on pump gas with d1sc procharger... wonder what aps kit has to offer. THis is not a thread on whether turbo or supercharger is better overall but for my application. Thanks!

Last edited by youguessit; 11-09-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well have the aps twin kit. Car is setup to be extremely streetable. I picked a nice streetable cam. No lope at all. Easy to tune. Turbo kit will give me likely all the power I could every use on the street. Much past 500rwhp is not that useful truth be known.
and have way more than that on tap if need be.
Turbos can be ramped up with the new electronic boost controllers like my eboost 2 to help traction issues.

Turbos are normally very reliable ,after all they have been used on many many factory cars that have to give pretty long warranties for years. That said I did get a dud turbo and not sure yet what aps will do for me about it. What they do will influence my personal recommendations for their kit. But other than the dud turbo thought the kit was very high quality,Install is long and not that simple. Think they say 100 hours with professional shop doing the install. Just did install with smart highly mechanical buddy.

Prochargers work pretty good also been in two procharged cars. That said turbos are more efficient than superchargers. And its easy as said to adjust the boost either total boost or ramp it in. And the area under the curve is much much better than any centrifical supercharger. From like 3000 up you have full boost. Hard to beat that.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well have the aps twin kit. Car is setup to be extremely streetable. I picked a nice streetable cam. No lope at all. Easy to tune. Turbo kit will give me likely all the power I could every use on the street. Much past 500rwhp is not that useful truth be known.
and have way more than that on tap if need be.
Turbos can be ramped up with the new electronic boost controllers like my eboost 2 to help traction issues.

Turbos are normally very reliable ,after all they have been used on many many factory cars that have to give pretty long warranties for years. That said I did get a dud turbo and not sure yet what aps will do for me about it. What they do will influence my personal recommendations for their kit. But other than the dud turbo thought the kit was very high quality,Install is long and not that simple. Think they say 100 hours with professional shop doing the install. Just did install with smart highly mechanical buddy.

Prochargers work pretty good also been in two procharged cars. That said turbos are more efficient than superchargers. And its easy as said to adjust the boost either total boost or ramp it in. And the area under the curve is much much better than any centrifical supercharger. From like 3000 up you have full boost. Hard to beat that.
I drove a friends 940rwhp supra and its pretty streetable, you just have to know what you're doing, ill also find out soon how it feels with 900-1000rwhp on a C6Z
Old 11-09-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think with your set up, it might be easier to go with Procharger D1sc. I have a STAGE 2 APS (not built yet) But I will have a 427.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Look in to the Kentucky turbo kit. For the price you can be getting more power per boost and helping out the little guy. Plus with boost controllers you can back the boost down to get traction out of the hole and as speed increses so will the boost for best traction.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

I was hoping to keep my ac. This kentucky turbo kit requires you remove that. It will be a daily driver in Houston tx....hot.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

In that case aps twin turbo kit would be more bang for the buck. I think you can price a d1sc kit with FMIC and fuel injectors for about 7500, and the aps for about the same. Full boost ahead!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

anyone else have any experience with the two??? How easy would be to turn up the boost on those turbos with a boost control unit and how much more could they manage?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

On standard kit you can get 18 to 20psi with the upgraded inlet tubes, they should come with the current kits. The original kits are limited to around 12psi with the old intlet tubes.

This should give around 800 to 850 rwhp depending on auto or m6 . Going up to bigger motor power should stay about same but get that power at lower boost like 15psi.

The upgraded kit has like 1300 max power potential.

Raising boost up is as easy as adding a 50 buck ebay boost controller or they make nice electronic ones too. As long as the engine is built to take the extra boost.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

ProCharger.Except no subsitutes.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

lots of bullshit with the APS kit but if you can fine a single turbo kit that keeps the a/c thats what i wish i would have done some days
but the aps works well and very thing looks good but the turbos need to be upgrade to some that doesnt suck (go bad, leak anti-freeze) things like that.
the hose stucking shut which is what i think is causing alot of my issuse
how much power do want to make?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Teching In

I have the d1sc procharger, works great, look at exotic performance plus, Had bought kit from procharger, but intake air temps were high on track, purchased front mount intercoller from exotic performance and intake temp fell 80-100 deg cooler. So i would purchase kit with front mount, instead of spending the money twice. Call and talk to bob very helpfull people.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tomz28
lots of bullshit with the APS kit but if you can fine a single turbo kit that keeps the a/c thats what i wish i would have done some days
but the aps works well and very thing looks good but the turbos need to be upgrade to some that doesnt suck (go bad, leak anti-freeze) things like that.
the hose stucking shut which is what i think is causing alot of my issuse
how much power do want to make?
What are you talking about? Aps kit keeps the air conditioning. Tubes sucking shut? which ones? The intake tubes are steel... are we talking about the same kit. lol hoping for at least 750 rwhp through stalled auto.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok there are metal intake tubes but then it turns to silicone where it narrows to go into the turbos. These silicone ones were sucking shut think at around 12psi. They have upgraded ones should come with the new kits but they are selling them to people that have the original kits.

Yes it keeps the air conditioning. One reason I liked it. It should hit 750rwhp thru auto but only on a built engine of course.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Ok there are metal intake tubes but then it turns to silicone where it narrows to go into the turbos. These silicone ones were sucking shut think at around 12psi. They have upgraded ones should come with the new kits but they are selling them to people that have the original kits.

Yes it keeps the air conditioning. One reason I liked it. It should hit 750rwhp thru auto but only on a built engine of course.
Yup happen to be getting built engine for cheap that was barely run... it pays to know people... bought car with it and decided he wanted more cubic inches.... so hes going to trade me motors and im going to give hims some cash... freakins sweet. the motor made about 700 with d1sc procharger but that car was 3speed and not daily driven... also i didnt want to go drastic on gearing so im leaning toward the turbos.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:59 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cheramieracing
I have the d1sc procharger, works great, look at exotic performance plus, Had bought kit from procharger, but intake air temps were high on track, purchased front mount intercoller from exotic performance and intake temp fell 80-100 deg cooler. So i would purchase kit with front mount, instead of spending the money twice. Call and talk to bob very helpfull people.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Bob
Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 AM
9 Second Club

thanks for the clear up for him
Old 11-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Banned

Kentucky turbo did a single front mount turbo kit with tube headers and it will keep A/C. It was one of a kind build. He can duplicate it but it will not be cheap.

Good things are coming from that shop. He had no single complaint against him so far.

TTi another sponsor has front single mount street and race kits. Both will keep the A/C. They've been in business long enough.

There's a third company in NM, HP Performance, but are not a sponsor. They build a single front mount turbo kit which keeps A/C. There kit puts the turbo in place of the battery much like Hi flo kit.

Last edited by bluecamaroz28; 11-15-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:11 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I would not go with HP Performance, we have had bad experiences with them (see this link http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=26) and I continue to hear of people who don't get all of their parts. Bob
Old 11-15-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a vortech on my 96 Z28 about 6 years ago and currently have the APS on my 35th LE .But if i were to go supercharged ,,,ide have to go with a magnason type charger verses the centrifical if doing my 96 again !!Without a doubt

Quick Reply: Best for my application?aps twin turbo or procharger