Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Catch can

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch can

I installed my Norris catch can last night, but I may have something wrong.
I have one line coming from the manifold, through a 1 way check valve, then to the top of the can. Then from the side of the can it goes to the valve cover pcv valve, (I have truck valve covers).
Now do I want the check valve on the same line as the PCV? I know that a PCV is a check valve too, I don't think it would hurt to have an extra inline.
Does the catch can only capture vapor and a small amount of oil under vacuum? Even if I didn't have the inline check, under positive the PCV would block, would oil even be drawn?
It does work properly, I.E., you pull the PCV out while engine is running and vacuum has it open, just not sure if I have the check valve in the right spot, or if it matters. My reasoning was under positive the valve blocks and keeps from pressurizing the can.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong.. But i thought.

you do 1 line, line in from pcv valve. Right before the pcv is the xross over between the heads. Then the line out of the can goes to the intake manifold.

If i were you, on your setup. I would cap off any pcv going back to intake. Dont want oil getting blown in there.

I would weld an fittings on the valve covers, run 2 lines to a breather catch can somewhere, and have 1 way check valves inline. Then when ever the heads go under pressure, it will blow the blow by to the catch can.

I also could be totatlly wrong.

Chris
Old 11-25-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your not totally wrong lol.

I have mine setup that way. Both valvecovers have a hose that goes into a catch can. The other side of the catch can goes to my intake for the turbo.

When the car goes into boost, the intake causes a vacuum to the catchcan, and sucks it right out of the valvecovers.

I also have a Oil Cap breather just in case.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

i know for sure getting oil back into your intake, can cause detonation, could cause knock sensors to pull timing...

Ive read alot about it, but its all theory, there is no 1 best way.

Chris
Old 11-26-2008, 07:55 AM
8 Second Club

Here is how I have it. The check valve would prevent any thing from going back into the manifold. And the one way breather would bleed off any pressure in the crank case when the catch can is blocked off. In theory anyway....
I have a baffled valve cover breather I can install on the drivers valve cover too, just have not got around to it yet.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

I really dont know if u are letting out crank pressure through the catch can with the intake under boost, the boost on the intake will back up aginst the check valve and the the crank pressure shouidnt be able to push past the check valve and into the intake the crank shouldnt have more then like 5psi only way the crank can breath is out the other valve cover breather if im think of this diagram right
Old 11-26-2008, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

on the diagram above i would just put a little filter on the check valve side that went to the intake so the pressure and oil can go into the can at the bottom and air can excape out the top of the can
Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by veee8
Here is how I have it. The check valve would prevent any thing from going back into the manifold. And the one way breather would bleed off any pressure in the crank case when the catch can is blocked off. In theory anyway....
I have a baffled valve cover breather I can install on the drivers valve cover too, just have not got around to it yet.
cap the manifold and run the vacuum source from the inlet of your turbo. You will get a nice vacuum under boost. With the valve and the manifold used, you have no crankcase evacuation under boost; when you need it most.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
8 Second Club

There is no air filter on the turbo.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put one on?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also have mine set up as Frost just explained. No problems here!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:17 PM
8 Second Club

No room right now for a filter. I will have to get creative down the road. So for right now, I guess I will add the breather to the drivers valve cover, that way both valve covers are vented under boost. Not ideal, but I dont see any other way right now.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was planning to do mine the same as in the diagram but i was going to tee both covers together, run them to one fitting on the catch can, then take the other fitting on the can and go to the turbo inlet as Frost said. That sound right? Im also running truck covers.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:32 PM
8 Second Club

I think on my passenger cover, there is no baffle for the fitting, so you will want to make sure it is baffled to keep it from sucking oil all the time.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think on my passenger cover, there is no baffle for the fitting, so you will want to make sure it is baffled to keep it from sucking oil all the time.
What if i was just to cap the line out of the pass. side cover and use a breather where the filler is?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
cap the manifold and run the vacuum source from the inlet of your turbo. You will get a nice vacuum under boost. With the valve and the manifold used, you have no crankcase evacuation under boost; when you need it most.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:21 PM
8 Second Club

I will look into building something for an air filter this week, then move the vacuum source. Should I still run a valve cover breather?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

I will look into building something for an air filter this week, then move the vacuum source. Should I still run a valve cover breather?
Run a valve cover breather if your catch can dosn't have one.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Launching!

Stupid question but have to ask.If you have a vented catch can I assume you would have to use one without a filter on It to run a vaccum source to the turbo.So that It would pull the fumes from the crankcase and not just pull air In through the filter.

Sorry for the
Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would two lines coming off the valve covers to a vented catch can be sufficent?

Quick Reply: Catch can