Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo build question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo build question

can anyone give me some advice on what kind of bottom end to get if i wanna do a aps twin turbo? what rods and pistons are best and also will the stock crank work? or should i buy a new one also
Old 11-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

can anyone help i wanna get started soon.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

Get a good set of forged pistons for boost (Diamond seem to be the best choice). Check out Eagle rods, they're pretty inexpensive and will hold enough power with the right rod bolts.Stock crank can handle at least 1000hp,unless you want a stroker stick with the stocker.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

I like the Wiseco pistons, good to handle 1000+ HP out of the box and the engineering behind them is up to date.

As far as rods go.. Get the Callies Comp Stars.
These are ready to install out of the box as well!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can run the kit on stock bottom and do ok. the crank is strong but the rod bolts are weak link. But like everyone said better to do rods and pistons.Also don't seem to have any complaints with wiseco pistons thats what have in my build. They do make some racket for a few minutes but shut up when warmed up,think just about any forged will make some noise and its cold here since finished the build might be even quieter when its warmer out and engine warms up faster. I have compstar rods. All the good brand name stuff is similar..scat, eagle, compstar, and all better than stock non forged parts.

I wanted more off boost power and torque than stock engine so went to the 408 . Its heavier than aluminum but very strong and went forged crank of course at same time.
I have not much desire to go past 1000 engine but guess could if wanted to. I like having options.