Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Im losing my mind..please help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Im losing my mind..please help!!!!!!

hey every one...im in a huge delema right now...i still need to save some more if i were to change my set up...but i have the STS kit and it does do the job, and it does it very well....but i have been wanting to go to a front mount ever since i could remember, and now ive been finding all sorts of front mount kits now that i have the STS kit...what r some of our views on each kind of set up? should i upgrade or? or keep the unique set up that i have and make the car haul *** with it? because im the only LS1 camaro in my area that not only is turbo'd but has this set up....PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Question #1: Is the car an auto or manual trans?
Question #2: Do you have complaints about the ground clearance.

If your answers are that the car is an auto trans and you are cool with the ground clearance, I'd personally keep the STS. There's a lot of bashing, but on a dyno the STS makes about the same HP per pound of boost as a front mount.

Now before people get their panites in a bunch, I understand that the front mount turbo makes boost sooner and thus makes more power under the curve. This is the reason why I asked if the car was manual or auto trans. On an auto trans STS car it will keep boost between gears and negate a lot of that lower boost HP loss once boost is initially built. I personally had an M6 and though the car was very fun to drive (and unbeatable from 40+ mph), it was less than optimal at the track due to boost spool and loss of boost between gears. It also was a perpetual pain in my a$$ for clearance and electrical issues (a product of where I live).

So, guess your answer lies in your setup and if you are happy with the kit in it's current form. In most cases the cost to convert to a front mount isn't worth the cost ssuming the boost PSI remains the same. Again, there will be bitches about this statement.....but it's reality (math doesn't lie )
Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

well the car is a m6 and she rides at stock hight...i would like to lower it but some of the fastest f-bodys around r at stock height....
Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by F-BodyGuy98
well the car is a m6 and she rides at stock hight...i would like to lower it but some of the fastest f-bodys around r at stock height....

Guess I should have read your sig first The HP figures you have are a bit "low" for a M6 at 8PSI, but not bad. Might want to consider a cam swap to really wake the car up. The EPP supercharger cam or a CC228 cam on a 115LSA would do wonders for ya'. I had the CC228 cam w/ LQ9 heads (which hurt HP if anything) and put down near the same #'s as you on 5PSI. A TR224 cam on a 114LSA will show a noticable gain too.

A cam swap is under $500 if you do it yourself.....but the gains would be sweet. Just my $0.02. It would definetly make you happier with your STS.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

well...the sad thing is when i was on 5 psi i only put down 408hp 408tq...again low for the boost level...bob from epp informed me about that cam and it is looking like a likely candidate...how would the 6.0l heads work with that cam? or should i just leave my stock ones on there and put in stiffer springs and hardened pushrods?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

well...the sad thing is when i was on 5 psi i only put down 408hp 408tq...again low for the boost level...bob from epp informed me about that cam and it is looking like a likely candidate...how would the 6.0l heads work with that cam? or should i just leave my stock ones on there and put in stiffer springs and hardened pushrods?
If you don't already have them, definetly add stiffer springs (stiffer than stock) + hardened rods. Valve float is a common occurance in FI cars on stock hardware.

As for the heads, here's the deal. LQ9 heads will not make more power than LS1 heads. They will actually hurt low end power/ torque due to the lower CR ratio (9 to 1 vs 10 to 1.) However, LQ9 heads are cheap insurance when running higher boost on a stock shortblock and can be the deciding factor in running 8-9PSI reliably and blowing the shortblock. By higher boost I mean 7.5PSI and up. I ran the LQ9's for a year and noticed a loss of low end torque below 3000RPM. Once the turbo kicked in.....that was forgotten. When I switched back to NA the car ran like a dog till 3500RPM from the lower CR.....thus my curent combo.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your happy with the STS then why change? An M6 sts car isnt going to put down the best times at the track but on the street it should be a fast/fun car. If your goal is great 1/4 mile times then either swap to an auto (4l80E/TH400) or switch out your kit for a front mount. As for the H/C question, its pretty well stated above but a good FI cam and a set of 317's with upgraded springs (id look into patriot extreme duals) would be a good setup on your stock shortblock.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree local guy has sts in his m6 and car is stock except for 3.73. It goes good I helped tune it but no actual dyno numbers or track times.

There are some problems in terms of ground clearance its one of the old kits ,his car is stock height but still can hit on train tracks and stuff. The new kits look a lot better.

But no kit is perfect.I like how easy it is to get to the turbo if you want to change it out ,especially compared to mine.I have a bad one and its a pain in the butt to change it.

I would work with what you have.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have clearance issues, and have the bugs worked out with the STS, don't change to a front mount. Why start all over when you can pick up another 50 HP with a few easy mods.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

hey every one...im in a huge delema right now...i still need to save some more if i were to change my set up...but i have the STS kit and it does do the job, and it does it very well....but i have been wanting to go to a front mount ever since i could remember, and now ive been finding all sorts of front mount kits now that i have the STS kit...what r some of our views on each kind of set up? should i upgrade or? or keep the unique set up that i have and make the car haul *** with it? because im the only LS1 camaro in my area that not only is turbo'd but has this set up....PLEASE HELP!!!!!
I said the same thing along time ago. Then I said the hell with it and work with what I had. I had to have the stock sts kit hack to hell to make it they way I wanted. Im lowerd also the only pipe that hits is my drive shaft loop. What are some more details on your set up?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Noob question about rear mount turbo's... Would headers and a off road Y pipe help his set up. Or is the turbo the biggest restriction in the exhaust?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by conan
Noob question about rear mount turbo's... Would headers and a off road Y pipe help his set up. Or is the turbo the biggest restriction in the exhaust?
No headers, That will hurt spool up. Im going to see if somebody could mock my Y on my car. I dont have the regular y on mine. its more of a y and not a football goal post. and 2.5 inch exhaust is good and yes the turbo will be the biggest plug in the exhaust.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
No headers, That will hurt spool up. Im going to see if somebody could mock my Y on my car. I dont have the regular y on mine. its more of a y and not a football goal post. and 2.5 inch exhaust is good and yes the turbo will be the biggest plug in the exhaust.
As outlaw said with the rear mount you would want stock cast manifolds, and possibly try to do a header wrap all the way back. keep some of the heat in the pipes, and it should help spool.

You can definatly make more on your setup, so if you dont want a ton more, and would be happy long term with 5-600 hp stick with it. If your striving for a forged block 700-1000 whp car, probably gonna want to go front mount.

Biggest 2 things that scare me about sts is oiling, and possible theft of the turbo.

Good luck, Chris
Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

well i see your car is a 98, so not having 241 heads and an LS6 intake is hurting you as well... I bet with some bolt on stuff and a cam you'll get 50+ whp out of it

also, i noticed a huge difference in spool when i swapped out my LT's for stock manifolds.. the LT's are heavy ****'s and will leak over time
Old 12-05-2008, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

All i can say is dont go to the hp kit because it will probly never be done im at 6 month wath now.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool, was just thinking if the mainifolds were restricting flow that headers would open it up and allow more flow back to the turbo causing it to spool faster.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

I said the same thing along time ago. Then I said the hell with it and work with what I had. I had to have the stock sts kit hack to hell to make it they way I wanted. Im lowerd also the only pipe that hits is my drive shaft loop. What are some more details on your set up?
the car other than the sts kit is literally bone stock...besides a tune, injectors and inline 255 fuel pump....
Old 12-06-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

the car other than the sts kit is literally bone stock...besides a tune, injectors and inline 255 fuel pump....
Me personaly I would put 317 heads and a 04 ls6 cam and better springs. I would put a 255 in the tank inlines dont help. With that you should be around 500+ with the same amount of boost. Oh and a ls6 intake to boot.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Default oil

[QUOTE=Sideways240sx;10607107]As outlaw said with the rear mount you would want stock cast manifolds, and possibly try to do a header wrap all the way back. keep some of the heat in the pipes, and it should help spool.

You can definatly make more on your setup, so if you dont want a ton more, and would be happy long term with 5-600 hp stick with it. If your striving for a forged block 700-1000 whp car, probably gonna want to go front mount.

Biggest 2 things that scare me about sts is oiling, and possible theft of the turbo.

I hate the oiling to and theft of the turbo that person would need a hacksaw with a sliencer and a bullet proof vest
Old 12-06-2008, 09:15 AM
9 Second Club

[QUOTE=OUTLAWZ RACING;10609897]
Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
As outlaw said with the rear mount you would want stock cast manifolds, and possibly try to do a header wrap all the way back. keep some of the heat in the pipes, and it should help spool.

I hate the oiling to and theft of the turbo that person would need a hacksaw with a sliencer and a bullet proof vest
Its happened around here. A saw zaw and they can be done in a minute.

Chris

Quick Reply: Im losing my mind..please help!!!!!!