Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Going Forged..Step Inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going Forged..Step Inside

First, i will bring everyone up to speed on where i stand. I currently have an 02' z06 with g5x4, lg pro's, supporting mods and NO heads making 450/417.

Now, moving on i have been tossing around the idea of doing a 402 or 408 to land around 530hp/500tq. While this initially is what i wanted to do the thought of FI has since crossed my mind and now i am slowly leaning more towards FI. My goal with that would be a forged 347 making somewhere around 700+hp/600+tq on pump 93. The car is not my dd and will be mostly a weekend warrior.

Can i get a little guidance on a good forged 347 build with details. Who, where, how much?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Justin
Old 12-08-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

Try doing a search on some of the big companies they have Kits that will reduce the pain of matching one part to another. But if your going forged why not just up the ci too??
Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=54

Check out the build in the above link on a C5. Bob
Old 12-08-2008, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
Try doing a search on some of the big companies they have Kits that will reduce the pain of matching one part to another. But if your going forged why not just up the ci too??
I agree, buy the full rotating assembly. Some of the big brands are Eagle, Scat, and Callies. Also, make sure the pistons are for FI, they will have a thicker top ring land.
If you go turbo, be sure and size the turbo to the cubic inches. Too small a turbo will hurt overall performance.
Be sure and include instrumentation in your cost estimation, such as a Vacuum/Boost gauge, AFR or EGT gauge, fuel pressure, etc.
You can calculate the price of the engine pretty close just by surfing the web, but the cost of the FI will vary greatly depending on the type you choose (supercharger vs. turbo) and the brand/model you choose.
Bob at EPP is a good source for information, although he tends to be biased toward the systems he sells (gee, I wonder why ). But seriously, he has a lot of experience in this area and EPP is a strong supporter of this site.
Best of luck, you will like the world of FI.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

For 700+ rwhp you can easily do that on a 346 stock CI LS1 but I agree with above and say get a new fully machined and balance forged shortblock from a sponsor and sell your stock engine. Id say go with a forged LS2 consisting of: stock crank, forged rods (callies/compstar a good choice), forged dished/boost pistons (diamond/mahle/wiseco), arp rod bolts, arp head studs, good FI cam, ported 317 heads with titanium retainers/dual valvesprings (patriot extreme duals a good choice), stock ls6 intake, etc. Plenty of Sponsors on here build a great engine such as EPP, texas-speed, Speed Inc, HKE, Weber Racing Engines, LME, SDPE, Livernois, etc etc etc.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

I would just throw forged rods and pistons in your current motor, and put the stock cam back in it if you still have it. Your heads flow great already, and if you are going with aftermarket pistons anyway its pointless to switch to a 317 casting head.

Just make sure you fuel system is in check, and rock on with it.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
For 700+ rwhp you can easily do that on a 346 stock CI LS1 but I agree with above and say get a new fully machined and balance forged shortblock from a sponsor and sell your stock engine. Id say go with a forged LS2 consisting of: stock crank, forged rods (callies/compstar a good choice), forged dished/boost pistons (diamond/mahle/wiseco), arp rod bolts, arp head studs, good FI cam, ported 317 heads with titanium retainers/dual valvesprings (patriot extreme duals a good choice), stock ls6 intake, etc. Plenty of Sponsors on here build a great engine such as EPP, texas-speed, Speed Inc, HKE, Weber Racing Engines, LME, SDPE, Livernois, etc etc etc.
I was thinking for him to stroke his. But your idea is another doable option in which there is less headache of going to a machine shop ect. ect.

This is just my opinion.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
I was thinking for him to stroke his. But your idea is another doable option in which there is less headache of going to a machine shop ect. ect.

This is just my opinion.
Yea I mean if he has a good machine shop and knows how to assemble a shortblock then by all means forge the stock block. I know, from experience, that it can be difficult to find a really good shop and if you cant assemble the rest of the components yourself (I couldnt and didnt want to take the risk) then in the end im not really sure how much money you are saving? If hes staying with the stock block then a forged crank (eagle I believe has a relatively inexpensive one for a 383?) would certainly be a great option.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

If 700rwhp is the goal, then just use the stock crank. Its a simple, proven combination.

Stock Crank
Eagle Rods
Diamond Off the shelf boost pistons
LS6 oil pump
LS7 Lifters
LS2 Timing Set
Chromoly Pushrods
Patriot Dual Springs
LS6 Cam

Very simple, inexpensive combination, that would handle the power he is after all day long
Old 12-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Talk to Alvin , he is a very knowledgable guy with alot of referrals.
http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...tpage&Itemid=1

If you go with a speed shop that will do everything , tear down build up reinstall and tune you will get a good warranty ...if you buy a short block from somewhere else and have a local shop install it , chances are there is no warranty. These have been senarios that I found out looking into the same thing you are .

Good luck
Old 12-08-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Sts

How much power can be had with a STS turbo with a built 408 for boost ?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stol3n
First, i will bring everyone up to speed on where i stand. I currently have an 02' z06 with g5x4, lg pro's, supporting mods and NO heads making 450/417.

Now, moving on i have been tossing around the idea of doing a 402 or 408 to land around 530hp/500tq. While this initially is what i wanted to do the thought of FI has since crossed my mind and now i am slowly leaning more towards FI. My goal with that would be a forged 347 making somewhere around 700+hp/600+tq on pump 93. The car is not my dd and will be mostly a weekend warrior.

Can i get a little guidance on a good forged 347 build with details. Who, where, how much?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Justin
I thought Vengeance built your car?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chris'stransam
Depends on a lot of variables. Rear mounts can make some killer power as proven by major spray and his 7 (or is it 6 now?) second twin rear mount vette. However, it takes some tweaking to get the STS kit to its optimal level. A couple of questions for you though, are you a manual or an auto and is this car for street cruising or track duty? If low 1/4mile times are your goal then you probably be best getting a front-mount kit or switching to a th400/4L80E/powerglide auto setup as its tough to build, and maintain, boost while an M6, hence why you dont see killer track times with STS manual cars. If its just for the street then you could get away with keeping the manual tranny. Im sure you could hit 800+ rwhp with a rear-mount STS kit on a fully forged, low compression 408 with the right turbo (id guess 80+mm?). That would be something you would have to have spec'ed out by a sponsor or contact Dr Turbo and he should be able to help. You probably would have to upgrade a lot of the piping though if your going for an all out build. Might be easier to just get a procharger F1 and be done with it.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Time for a change Huh. Give me a call when you get a chance. Tried to call you a few times after your wreck.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Yea I mean if he has a good machine shop and knows how to assemble a shortblock then by all means forge the stock block. I know, from experience, that it can be difficult to find a really good shop and if you cant assemble the rest of the components yourself (I couldnt and didnt want to take the risk) then in the end im not really sure how much money you are saving? If hes staying with the stock block then a forged crank (eagle I believe has a relatively inexpensive one for a 383?) would certainly be a great option.
383 cid ls1 are going very cheap this days. less than $4000 actually. As so are the LS3 427 cid However If money is not a roadblock. you could always go to a LS7 454 but that is a whole different ball game. He could always pick some very good knowledge if he tried to stroke his and save some money in the long run.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chris'stransam
I think there is a treat of that current set up running ethanol going to 15# boost. They are up in the 800 rhp. With a 408 there could be some more but there is many variables. However that would defenetly be a stout set up.

(EDIT)Sorry that was not it.

Last edited by bboyxclub; 12-08-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
I thought Vengeance built your car?

We did.... and we will more than likely be building this combo

Working on your Estimate Justin. Will wrap it up when I get back from PRI.