Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS Engines and Pushing Water

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Engines and Pushing Water

So I am sitting here trying to figure out WHY LS engines push water. There are SO many other engines out there with the same head bolt design (10 bolts per cylinder head.) I am just confused as to why the LS engines have the problem with pushing water and you never hear of any other engine out there doing it as commonly as these engines...

Maybe it has been answered before but it seems like everyone has there own opinion. Yeah, you can run less timing and have a good tune and "supposedly" you shouldn't have any other issues. Then there are the people that say it's the cylinder walls going out of round. And last there are the ones that say it doesn't matter how good your tune is, or how much boost you're running, once you hit around 1200 flywheel hp it's going to start lifting.

The reason I am so curious about this is because I didn't opt to go with a LSx engine yet. But my engine now is an iron 370, O-ringed, 1/2" head studs, ETP heads (thicker deck,) and copper head gaskets... I am just really starting to wonder how far I'm going to be able to push my S91.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah i would have to agree. I pushed my stock buick v6 to 32psi, stock graphite gaskets and everything, never touched. Just lock the wastegate shut and max out the turbo. that is a 4-bolt head as well. Did that for a whole year and never pushed a drop. In fact i broke a piston from some knock and still didnt blow the gasket. I know with the bigger bores it is obviously going to push easier, but can it really be that big of a difference?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It has to do with the cylinder head and block design as a whole the way I see it. A well prepped and sleeved block retaining the 4 bolt head design will do a lot better then the standard setup.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you or anyone know what the design flaw was then?

Quick Reply: LS Engines and Pushing Water