Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cubic inches for turbo motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cubic inches for turbo motor

Was going to go with a 408, which I know makes big power, wondering if keeping the cubes down, and spinning it up higher would be more beneficial on a turbo setup than the big motor?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If set up right more cubes will always make more power. With the right set up there will be no need to spin the motor like a honda. Take that iron 408 and set the limiter to 7k.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exodus
Was going to go with a 408, which I know makes big power, wondering if keeping the cubes down, and spinning it up higher would be more beneficial on a turbo setup than the big motor?
more important is the abilty of the engine to process the air through it...
the engine is better discribed as a air pump...
more air, more protentual power...

a highly effiecent 350 cube , with good heads , VS dog 408 cube will make more power...

get the air in AND out , the engine will make good power...

with the turbo deal,
a smaller cube engine , will make power higher in rpm range , than same power adder , and larger cubes

ash
Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went iron 408 built with nice heads, reasonable lift on cam with 1.8 rockers. Big lsa for no lope.Didn't want any lope. Compression 9.5 to 1. Fully forged of course.
I have no complaints. Car is an animal already off boost with lots of torque and power. Bigger engine spins my twins up really fast giving me a nice powerband on boost as well as off boost.
I was thinking 427 but it was just a bit too much more money and spent enough. You have to quit somewhere but generally running bigger engine is best but you don't want to go too thin on the walls either.
Bigger engine should allow same power with lower boost. Lower boost can be a good thing.I am using 7000 as absolute max rpm limit but generally will be using 6500.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crashly
more important is the abilty of the engine to process the air through it...
the engine is better discribed as a air pump...
more air, more protentual power...

a highly effiecent 350 cube , with good heads , VS dog 408 cube will make more power...

get the air in AND out , the engine will make good power...

with the turbo deal,
a smaller cube engine , will make power higher in rpm range , than same power adder , and larger cubes

ash
This is exactly what I got to thinking of. The money savings is there as a bonus on the shortblock setup, but is not the purpose of thinking about going with the smaller cubes. I would like to run in the 10-20 psi range with a t-76 single turbo setup. My original idea was an iron 408 forged with afr 225 heads, and a fast 92 intake, and about a 9.0 or 9.5 compression. Max rpm would most likely be around 6500-6800.

However with a smaller displacement and maybe the same heads but with a different intake run to about 7000-7500 maybe even 8000 with more balancing work and take advantage of the high rpm power of a turbo setup.

Last edited by exodus; 01-03-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a link to what got me thinking, and you can see my question better.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=431393

Quick Reply: Cubic inches for turbo motor