Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Power stering fluid is over flowing after installing PTS kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power stering fluid is over flowing after installing PTS kit

Power stering fluid is over flowing after installing PTS kit. I searched for the thread but i know some people have had this problem do to header heat warming up the fluid. was just wondering what you guys did. my headers are already wrapped. is going to a manual rack my only option?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did a quick search and couldnt find pts kit. Any other names or and pictures of the setup?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Did a quick search and couldnt find pts kit. Any other names or and pictures of the setup?
PTS= Former PTK = Current ebay kit. lol
Old 01-03-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sagres
Power stering fluid is over flowing after installing PTS kit. I searched for the thread but i know some people have had this problem do to header heat warming up the fluid. was just wondering what you guys did. my headers are already wrapped. is going to a manual rack my only option?
Aside from my ps lines being wrapped and using a turbo blanket (which doesn't help the hot pipes right under the ps reservoir), I really never have that problem... I even drove for two hours in traffic yesterday night and thought my car was fucked... When I finally parked, I checked my coolant, ps fluid, everything and it was all fine.

Hmmm... I know you mentioned your headers are wrapped, but is the area right before the turbo right under the ps reservoir wrapped too? Also, are your hotpipes coated at all.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Thats what I was thinking, just wasn't sure. Did you both make your own braided lines? I made them and I'm pretty sure they are far enough from the hot pipes so I won't have to worry about that.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Fit a simple fluid cooler in the return line from rack to reservoir.

The std car has a PAS fluid to cooling system cooler...obviously this helps...but will be nowhere near as good as a proper radiator style cooler.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Ill take some pics tomorrow. but do you have a part number and where to get a PS cooler from. Did a PS cooler work. I didnt wrap the PS lines tho. My pipes are coated and wrapped.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:01 AM
9 Second Club

ANY small metal radiator will suffice.

I dont have a part number, as I just used an oil cooler off another car when I had a PAS cooler.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

Are you using the original ps lines or did you make your own? I made mine and they are out of the way now.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:13 AM
9 Second Club

My car is not a Camaro.

Everything is custom. I made my own PAS lines using Earls.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

I used the originals. I guess that might be one of my problems
Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sagres
I used the originals. I guess that might be one of my problems
I'd say it would be. My original lines were very close to the hot pipes. I spent a hundred bucks and made my own lines. There is a thread that has all the pn used for it. You get any numbers from your kit?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

FWIW, I am still on the factory lines... Have been for four years and 12 thousand miles with the turbo kit... All they are is just wrapped.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine were wrapped and melted. I had everything wrapped, and it still made a hole in the high pressure hose.

I ended up going with braided lines and rerouting everything.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Kind of off topic, kind of...

But it deals with heat in general.

Have you guys opened up the cowl by the windshield wipers, the whole strip of weatherstripping that seals there? Not a good idea on a dd, but this was one of the first things I did to mine, and when my puller fan turns on, you can see the heat waves from the driver's seat rising up across the front of the windshield, and if you're out of the car, you can put your hand by the windshield wipers and feel a ton of hot air the puller fan is getting out from the engine bay. This is all just from a stop... While driving, the air drawn in from the air dam flows between the radiator and the AC condenser, hits the shroud, spreads throughout the engine bay, and has a place to escape from the back of the engine bay for a quick, complete cycle of cooling the radiator, the engine, the alternator, etc. and in my case an oil cooler... Works REALLY well when the car's moving in keeping the whole engine bay cool. It's like having a giant heat extractor all across the back of the engine bay, where hot air stops and has nowhere to go, compounding with more hot air drawn in from puller fans and outside air post-radiator.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I may have to try that. Mine is a summer car only, so it doesnt see rain or snow.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree with stevie. Walk into autozone or any shop like it and pic up a small trans cooler. I did this with an 88 sitting in the same spot and never had a problem with boiling fluid again. It only takes about 20 min to do the install. I attached the new cooler to the small support right infront of the radiator. You will need some extra hose.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to wrap the lines and bend the metal line parts to redirect the rubber away from resting on the header/crossover...something to consider.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:06 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Kind of off topic, kind of...

But it deals with heat in general.

Have you guys opened up the cowl by the windshield wipers, the whole strip of weatherstripping that seals there? Not a good idea on a dd, but this was one of the first things I did to mine, and when my puller fan turns on, you can see the heat waves from the driver's seat rising up across the front of the windshield, and if you're out of the car, you can put your hand by the windshield wipers and feel a ton of hot air the puller fan is getting out from the engine bay. This is all just from a stop... While driving, the air drawn in from the air dam flows between the radiator and the AC condenser, hits the shroud, spreads throughout the engine bay, and has a place to escape from the back of the engine bay for a quick, complete cycle of cooling the radiator, the engine, the alternator, etc. and in my case an oil cooler... Works REALLY well when the car's moving in keeping the whole engine bay cool. It's like having a giant heat extractor all across the back of the engine bay, where hot air stops and has nowhere to go, compounding with more hot air drawn in from puller fans and outside air post-radiator.
This is true at a standstill, but while moving, the area in back of the hood at the base of the windsheild is actually pressurized, which is true on almost every car, hence why the cowl hoods worked so well. Opening that area up will actually work against cooling the car while driving.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
This is true at a standstill, but while moving, the area in back of the hood at the base of the windsheild is actually pressurized, which is true on almost every car, hence why the cowl hoods worked so well. Opening that area up will actually work against cooling the car while driving.

Hmmm... Never saw it that way... Well, my driving temps never saw a problem before doing this, and then after I did this they did not increase. So that's good.

However, at a standstill, my temps are not only much better, but so are my amps... My alternator used to get cooked BAD at a standstill.

Hmmm... just some thoughts... Pressurization behind the cowl does not allow air to escape while moving... Is it not still an area where heat can escape? At the least, it cannot hurt excessive underhood temps.

Last edited by bboyferal; 01-08-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Power stering fluid is over flowing after installing PTS kit