Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Single turbo vs Twin

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single turbo vs Twin

Any one have any hard evidence that proves that one a single turbbo set up equal length manifolds is important and is having onel side cross over to the other hurt anything?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest thing is to keep the entire hot side as short as possible. When you cross one bank over, you lose heat energy and gas velocity that could be used to drive your turbine. Read "turbocharging" by Corky Bell--its a good read, and though some of the information is dated, it explains everything you really need to know fundamentally in detail.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhorse66
The biggest thing is to keep the entire hot side as short as possible. When you cross one bank over, you lose heat energy and gas velocity that could be used to drive your turbine. Read "turbocharging" by Corky Bell--its a good read, and though some of the information is dated, it explains everything you really need to know fundamentally in detail.
yea that's is the biggest problem with the sts kit, the exhaust gases loose allot of heat by the time they travel to the back of the car, and you can wrap it and coat it all you want it's still going to be worse then a front mount.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got ya i know my buddies got a big single on his 6.0 and the driver side exhaust tube runs all the way to the pass side where the turbo is before it get to the hot side of the turbo and the pass side i know is a much shorter distance...i thought you wanted them both equal distance from each bank
Old 01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think equal length headers in turbos is that important, because the engine is pushing spent gas out of the combustion chamber into high pressure. Equal length works on NA setups when your trying to time pulses to help scavenge pulses from other cylinders out of the motor using high and low pressure areas. With turbos the entire exhaust system before the turbo when in boost is all high pressure. There are no high and low pressure zones, not like an NA motor anyway.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by elias_799
yea that's is the biggest problem with the sts kit, the exhaust gases loose allot of heat by the time they travel to the back of the car, and you can wrap it and coat it all you want it's still going to be worse then a front mount.
not if you size A/R and pipe diameter accordingly
Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes but then you reach the point where extreme back pressure will be a issue when you need to start making more power.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A/R and pipe diameter can help indeed. You still can not though cure the issue of pipe length.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Yes but then you reach the point where extreme back pressure will be a issue when you need to start making more power.
you can make the same volume level with long tube as you would with short, as long as everything is equal you will be fine
Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TiAL
you can make the same volume level with long tube as you would with short, as long as everything is equal you will be fine
So, you're telling me that I can bolt a properly sized turbo straight to the tail pipe of my pickup so long as I decrease the diameter of the exhaust to compensate for exhaust gas volume, and it would work the same as if it were bolted straight to the end of the manifold? Sorry, not buying it. The more heat you lose, the more your exhaust turbine is going to struggle to do its job. The only cure for this, (like DrTurbo said) is to decrease DISTANCE. Exhaust wraps, stainless hot sides, and smaller diameter pipe all help, but you can't combat the fact that as the gases in the exhaust travel further and further from the valve, the pressure decreases and therefore cool off more. You lose your exhaust heat energy, and you lose races to cars that don't, bottom line.

Last edited by deadhorse66; 01-16-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

hot air is bigger in volume then cold air and that makes the turbo spool quicker. that is the whole point of having the turbo up front. next time you play with you balloons take one out where it is hot and the other one where it is cold and see what happens to them. have fun
Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thxs for all the imput i am thinking of doing a lsx swap in a stang TT thats why im asking and there should be enough room for in under the hood of one of those